Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 am

Nice job on the Brine Wagon Andrew.

Those nail art gems can be addictive can't they.... :confused2: :confused2:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by JMORG » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:27 am

Brine tank looks good! I made a 3D printed brine tank a while back, need to dig it out and finish it!
The prototype is currently under restoration on the Ffestiniog.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:24 pm

The tank wagon is looking good Andrew, looking forward to seeing it with detail added.
Back in the day when I worked away from home a lot, I did a fair bit of modelling in hotels and on the train. I once applied individual plasticard stones to clad a 4mm ruined Cornish Engine house when I was awy for several days in one place! When I worked for Travellers Fare ( B.R. Catering) I travelled 1st Class on business and used to get very raised eyebrows from sitting cleaning up plastic sprues etc on a long trip oop North!! :D
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:52 am

Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 am And so, to celebrate Black Friday, here's a grainy photo of the latest progress on my brine tank wagon, taken this morning before I left for work, when the sun still hadn't risen properly:
It looks nice, but gee, rather you than me..... :shock:

You've done a good job of applying those things close together, and in a straight line no less. I tried something similar once in HO, but with three ersatz rivets disappearing into the carpet for every one that made it to the model, I admitted defeat and bought a rivet press. Not long after that Archer Transfers released their first rivet decal sheets, didn't they..... :roll:

I tried taking models on a trip once, but after a 12 hr drive all I could manage was to crawl into bed......

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm

JMORG wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:27 am Brine tank looks good! I made a 3D printed brine tank a while back, need to dig it out and finish it!
The prototype is currently under restoration on the Ffestiniog.
Thanks! It occurred to me as I was sticking on all those gems that this wagon's the perfect candidate for 3D printing!

I'm quite keen to get it finished quickly, because once the FR have outshopped the real thing all the bits that I've guessed will become obvious - I want to enjoy it while I can!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks for the kind comments chaps - I'm enjoying the "modelling in strange places" stories too!

Some of the models built much further back down the thread were partially constructed at my old workplace, in a little-used storage area that I took over at lunchtimes - a colleague dubbed it "The Workshop of the World", which sort of stuck. Actually, he was the only one who knew what I got up to in there, I try not to advertise my eccentricities too much... Another colleague did comment on the smell of solvent drifting out into the adjacent office space one day - I told him I'd been glue-sniffing and he seemed content to leave it at that. I'm not sure if that says more about him or me!

As I type this the spray paint's drying on the strapping and brake gear I mentioned earlier. It's a little risky spray painting when it's this cold, but they're only small parts so I'm hoping to get away with any imperfections...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:47 pm Thanks for the kind comments chaps - I'm enjoying the "modelling in strange places" stories too!

It's a little risky spray painting when it's this cold,
This could apply to both comments above...... I find the best place to do spray painting when it's cold outside is in Diane's greenhouse. It's surprising how warm it gets in there when the sun is on the glass.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm I find the best place to do spray painting when it's cold outside is in Diane's greenhouse.
It must be a pane if you mis-spray...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm I find the best place to do spray painting when it's cold outside is in Diane's greenhouse.
It must be a pane if you mis-spray...
:laughing3: :laughing3:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:38 am

Some Christmas work:
NWNGR 3 plank wagon is progressing:
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png (442.06 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Note the worksplate!
IMG-20200103-WA0006_compress70.jpg
IMG-20200103-WA0006_compress70.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Filling, filing and additional bits (such as brakes) to go on followed by paint.

FR dandy waggon. Based on the replica built in the 1980's. The horse is being modified to have pegs in it's hooves.
IMG-20200103-WA0009_compress37~2.jpg
IMG-20200103-WA0009_compress37~2.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
One of the two plank wagons has been finished. The grey twin is awaiting a slate load. Slates are made from card, cut and glued into blocks.
IMG-20191215-WA0005_compress80~2.jpg
IMG-20191215-WA0005_compress80~2.jpg (101.61 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
About 10 slate and flat waggons currently awaiting assembly. These are Lineside Hut, which will be modified to more closely follow NWNGR and FR waggons. Most of the flats will become additional 2 and 3 plank wagons, one or two may stay as flats to act as slab wagons.

We got two additional pieces of stock for Christmas; NWNGR no. 24 replica and FR 16.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi JMORG!

Those are looking very impressive - I think the 2 plank is the little one that appears in the Wheeler book? You've captured the shape better than I managed to I think... I love the Gloucester wagon too - the strapping's looking great, and the distinctive bufferbeam shape. One of those is fairly high on my list...

I've also been busy on the wagon front, out-shopping these two today - the Ffestiniog brine tank and the second small WHR open:

Jan wagons 3.jpg
Jan wagons 3.jpg (225.34 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
Jan wagons 2.jpg
Jan wagons 2.jpg (352.02 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
Jan wagons 1.jpg
Jan wagons 1.jpg (293.14 KiB) Viewed 5919 times

I've been out tidying up the garden a little - these two might just get a test run tomorrow...

Cheers,

Andrew.

All the best,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm

This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
Glad you like 'em, thanks!

For the wagon strapping etc I make little jigs to get the gems in the right place - usually just holes drilled in offcuts of thin ply. I use a pen to mark the part (a fine permanent marker if I can find one), then apply plastic cement, then add the gem with the tip of a knife blade. The tank was more of a challenge (!) but I discovered that the gems can be placed in more-or-less the right places then pushed into a straight line with the edge of a ruler while the glue sets. If you can't use then in your modelling you'll just have to stick 'em to your nails as intended...

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am

Picking up those gems can be frustrating. I use very fine needles, you know the ones that are used by our better halves...When they get a bit blunt, just rub the tip along some fine emery paper. Job done. :thumbright:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
And another 'handling' method. I shape a small piece of blu tack into a fine point, and pick up the little critters with that. A light dab of plastic weld or similar and position - job's a good 'un. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi all.
I am just finishing a PDF Baldwin tractor (gluing on the fuel tank and splashers today and adding glazing to the front windows) and thought I would add my rivitting method to this discussion.
First I draw a straight line for the rivit heads (Cambrian models), then draw a cross line every 5 mm along this line. After adding a small puddle of superglue into a plastic lid i dip the end of a cocktail stick into the glue and tap a little onto 2 or 3 of the cross lines. While the end of the cocktail stick is still damp with glue it will pick up a rivet and if i then touch it into place on the cross it will let go of the stick and adhere to the cross. If I work quickly I can do another 1 or 2 rivets before having to glue more crosses. I use a dry cocktail stick to move the rivets quickly if necessary.
IMG_20200217_210842.jpg
IMG_20200217_210842.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
There are about 300 rivets on my model and it took a few session to add them all. Yours look straighter than some of mine Andrew.
David
David T.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 am

Makes up to a great looking model David, I admire the style of these Baldwins.
Grant.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am

That looks about 420 rivets on that tank wagon Andrew. :-)
David.
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 am

River Lin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am That looks about 420 rivets on that tank wagon Andrew. :-)
David.
Rivet counters !!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 am

Oh no..... :lol: :lol: