Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Beautiful soldering!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:00 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 pm Beautiful soldering!
Thanks, it is what I do every week while making Llewellyn frames.
If the fit is good, all is clean, bring up the temperature slowly and all is evenly cooked , bingo
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:07 am

Saw and files

5/16" HSS rough out on the bench grinder, then a few passes on the cutter/grinder for a special boring bar

Image\

Clean out the smoke box to boiler barrel joint.

It all fits with the super heater header in place

Getting ready to fly cut the saddle

Boring head in action

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 am

In the frames

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 am

Love the colouring of the copper, seems a shame to paint it.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 am Love the colouring of the copper, seems a shame to paint it.
Yes, it has a nice aesthetic, steam punkish comes to mind, which I don't mind.
The stage I fear most is "Painting" I detest painting.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Have you considered chemical blackening?

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 pm

I am rather in Awe or your machine work, you seem to be able to just set it up and go.

Don

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:38 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 pm Have you considered chemical blackening?
All things will be considered, yes, for blackening for some parts. No idea of what colour this loco will be. I want to paint it myself and do some lining. I have few books on the subject, however at my current rate of progress is will be a few years till I get there.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 am

DonW wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 pm I am rather in Awe or your machine work, you seem to be able to just set it up and go.

Don

Yeah, it is nice to have the materials in stock and when I don't I order other sizes with what I need. I set up the tools for tomorrow in mind and so they are on hand. I sort of went to Town a few years ago when I finally set up the Red Room. It had to be a separate room from the bike workshop and more airy and natural light. After 35 years of ready ME magazines I was read to spend $20 K aud on the tools etc. I rather buy a second hand car and have a nice workshop rather than the other way.
I work to live.
To reiterate, I am using the garden railway and this loco build to learn and aquire skills, tools and materials for the magnum opus build. QR C17 class #253 as it was delivered in 1921 and in 5" gauge.
If I live long enough I would like to build a Foden Steam Lorry in 4" scale and then a 5" QR Beyer Garratt. One has to dream.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm

I dont see any reason why you shouldn't achieve your dreams. The Beyer Garrett sounds interesting the only question is would you be able to reach the firebox, controls etc. when riding behind. One of the saddest things I have seen was a 5inch gauge Fairlie with a towel over the rear chimney because the driver had his face over it to reach the controls. At least with the Beyer Garrett there is only one chimney but it could be a reach to fire.

Don

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:42 pm

DonW wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm I dont see any reason why you shouldn't achieve your dreams. The Beyer Garrett sounds interesting the only question is would you be able to reach the firebox, controls etc. when riding behind. One of the saddest things I have seen was a 5inch gauge Fairlie with a towel over the rear chimney because the driver had his face over it to reach the controls. At least with the Beyer Garrett there is only one chimney but it could be a reach to fire.

Don
Queensland Locos are 3' 6" gauge so they scale up big in 5" , we all sit on the tenders here on ground level tracks, so with a Garratt one has a seat over the bunker.
The trouble with me is time and my involvement with full size railways as well.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm

" Hey Shaun, I am not always confident management know what they doing out in their drawing office"

"Merv, I reckon this should work out " (Is not well known that Merv is Wallace's identical twin brother"

The Red Room crew went to bed satisfied last night. The picture was taken and supplied by the big huntsman spider who was rostered on night patrol security last night.

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 am ...

Yeah, it is nice to have the materials in stock and when I don't I order other sizes with what I need. I set up the tools for tomorrow in mind and so they are on hand. I sort of went to Town a few years ago when I finally set up the Red Room. It had to be a separate room from the bike workshop and more airy and natural light. After 35 years of ready ME magazines I was read to spend $20 K aud on the tools etc. I rather buy a second hand car and have a nice workshop rather than the other way.
I work to live.
To reiterate, I am using the garden railway and this loco build to learn and aquire skills, tools and materials for the magnum opus build. QR C17 class #253 as it was delivered in 1921 and in 5" gauge.
If I live long enough I would like to build a Foden Steam Lorry in 4" scale and then a 5" QR Beyer Garratt. One has to dream.
Your workmanship can only be admired, as is your attitude to life/work balance. I hope you get to build that Beyer Garratt! :)
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 pm

idlemarvel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 am ...

I work to live.
Your workmanship can only be admired, as is your attitude to life/work balance. I hope you get to build that Beyer Garratt! :)
Thanks.I really only just try hard and persevere at the toil.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Hey McGraw, management sure go through a decent load of tea each week.

" Hey Preston, crikey old Wal thinks he is clever after warming up the Araldite that he used to hold the saddle to the smoke barrel for drilling and it all came apart as he cunningly planned."

"Yeah we will hear about it all week"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 pm

"Shaun, management supplied this lump of LG2, they said make a smoke box door for the loco from this". "Where is Merv, has anyone seen Merv this morning ?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 pm

"What's he building in there?
What the hell is he building in there?
He has subscriptions to those magazines
He never waves when he goes by"

It is the start of a cunning plan from Management.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 pm

"Hey Feathers, nice save on the 1.00mm holes for the pins, you nearly wrecked that centre finder by turning on the mill at 2500 RPM rather than 110 rpm you goose." "Preston, I am not a goose, I am a penguin this week!" "what ever you are this week Feathers, you are lucky management saved that expensive centre finder"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 am

The cunning plan comes together, great idea.