If We Don't Have Internet

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
FWLR
Driver
Driver

If We Don't Have Internet

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 pm

What we do if we don't have the internet now.

We all depend on it in some way. We want it to go online to look at the best forum on the web for Garden Railways. We need it for our smartphones, there are all kinds of things now that rely on the internet. I had a phone call form a very good friend this morning and he said his internet has been down since Friday and he may get back online by Thursday. Thats one heck of a long time not being able to use the internet, because we do use the internet every day in one way or other.

Do you know what you use it for mainly.....

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Re: If We Don't Have Internet

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Well, I'd be knackered!
I'm dependent on my internet connection for work, but also for:

Turning most of the lights on and off (Hue & Sonoff), although these can be overridden manually.
Heating (Nest) can be overridden locally.
Listening to the radio (TuneIn), I only have one traditional radio remaining in the house.
Listening to music (Spotify), vinyl & CD collections boxed up in the loft.
Watching TV (Netflix, Amazon, Plex, 4OD etc.) I no longer have a television license.
Communication with friends and family (WhatsApp), landline phone isn't even plugged in.
Forums and Facebook groups.

But it would mean plenty of time for reading Garden Rails and SMT.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 am

Good points. Just goes to show we are getting lazy, has your post shows us. With out the internet you can't sit and tell your lights to turn on or off, sit and watch Netflix or another on demand or internet based App.

Technology has moved on since we were at school, we thought the calculator was amazing, but that is nothing to what can be achieved through todays tech. We can find out a lot more from the internet now also, without it we would struggle. Traders now rely on it, most big high street stores use the net, even the Beeb have programs that are shown on the internet. ie: Channel 3.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 am

Well, sorry to be at odds, but this thread has made me stop and think, and actually, on reflection I'm pretty sure that I use the internet far less now than I did some years ago.
There was a time when I had emails coming in faster than I could read them, when I was member of many online forums, etc, on all sorts of subjects. Now, this is the only forum I'm a member of; I get maybe 2 or 3 emails a day, sometimes none at all.

I use the 'net for information when I want to know something that I haven't got in a book. I do use it for buying stuff that I can't get in a shop easily. I use it from time to time for my Family History research.

My wife used to be on Amazon Prime which she stopped because it wasn't really worth it - We signed up for their TV downloads but didn't ever actually use it once.

We have a remote for the TV and fingers that are quite capable of pressing buttons and flicking light switches. The central heating is programmed and rarely gets changed, unless it is particularly cold in which case it takes a couple of button presses to change the temperature.

Would I miss it? Well, yes, it has a convenience factor, but could I survive without it? With absolute certainty I could.
Philip

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm... I no longer have a television license.
Good man! I'd love to do the same but it hasn't happened ... yet.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm

So Phillip, being a moderator means you don't get any emails from the vast number of threads and posts on the forum....strange that with you being a mod. I get about on average at least 10-15 emails a day and if there is any information given, wether it be a link or a member has put something that warrants to look for info, the internet is the first thing we go too, to find what has been put in the post on the forum.

What would the likes of our own ge_rik of achieved with his R/C site and others who rely on the internet for their living, granted some are just in it for a hobby, so they say, so if it's not there what would they do, trundle around with a horse and cart, or hand cart and sell their wares.... :roll:

How would we find out about any area steam ups, I know by letter, or the phone, some members don't have a phone. How would we find out if a steam up was cancelled because of some reason or another, Carrier Pigeon perhaps.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you it would be great to see them back again, but it would be years before we got to see them again and by that time what ever they were selling would be outdated..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all good fun and I am finding out so much about how members would or would not cope without the net.....

Keep your thoughts coming, it's very interesting what other members are saying..... :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:16 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pmHow would we find out about any area steam ups, I know by letter, or the phone, some members don't have a phone. How would we find out if a steam up was cancelled because of some reason or another, Carrier Pigeon perhaps.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been going to steam ups since the late 1980s. Back then there was no internet, no mobile phones and no email. We managed.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:33 pm

My internet usage is primarily for info and done entirely on my phone as I dropped the home internet after the divorce. This is the only forum where I'm a member. I don't do social media anymore.

Lights in the house require I physically flip a switch. I do use a remote for the television on the rare occasion I turn it on to watch the local over-the-air western channel.

Tech for the sake of tech doesn't interest me. In that regard I'm old school and am often the last to embrace it. As the years pile up behind me and my expiration date draws closer I've endeavored to simplify my daily life so that my belongings don't enslave me. Life is short... death is long.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm So Phillip, being a moderator means you don't get any emails from the vast number of threads and posts on the forum....strange that with you being a mod.
No, as far as I remember, I've never had an email in connection with my Mod duties, although I do generate/receive PM's from time to time, both official and, occasionally personal..
FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm I get about on average at least 10-15 emails a day and if there is any information given, wether it be a link or a member has put something that warrants to look for info, the internet is the first thing we go too, to find what has been put in the post on the forum.
I've had 2 emails today, one from my bank informing me that my annual statement is available and one from my ISP giving advance notice of my monthly DD payment in a weeks time - since it happens every month and has done for about 10 years, that's little more than spam although they have to send it of course. I had one email yesterday from a Family History site, which I deleted, and one on Saturday from Specsavers, confirming an appointment that I made by phone(Landline) following a letter that came by snailmail.
FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm What would the likes of our own ge_rik of achieved with his R/C site and others who rely on the internet for their living, granted some are just in it for a hobby, so they say, so if it's not there what would they do, trundle around with a horse and cart, or hand cart and sell their wares.... :roll:
Each to his/her own needs, of course, but apart from what I said originally, it is just not an issue for me.
FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm How would we find out about any area steam ups, I know by letter, or the phone, some members don't have a phone. How would we find out if a steam up was cancelled because of some reason or another, Carrier Pigeon perhaps.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never been to one, so that doesn't bother me personally, but aren't they publicised in SMT anyway?

The point is Rod, as I said originally, I could manage without the net quite easily, although it can certainly have a convenience factor. Just because you find it vital to be able to run your life, for whatever perfectly valid reasons, don't assume that everyone else feels the same.
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm

I love threads that invite opinion, and then when such is given proceed to tell the respondent that they're wrong.
It sums up everything that is great about t'interweb.

:thumbleft: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :thumbright:

Please note that this post is not to be taken seriously, as indicated by the excessive use of smilies!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 am

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm I love threads that invite opinion, and then when such is given proceed to tell the respondent that they're wrong.
It sums up everything that is great about t'interweb.

:thumbleft: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :thumbright:

Please note that this post is not to be taken seriously, as indicated by the excessive use of smilies!
How am I wrong. Phillpy is taking it so wrong himself. Just because he is a mod, doesn't mean he is right. I get my notifications by email from our forum. I don't sit here waiting for things to appear.

The internet isn't just for your own personal use.... :lol:

Phillip, on the banking side, if you go into your bank now you will find that they need the internet to look into your account. So if they had no internet you wouldn't be able to receive any money. Same at the Post Office and at your place of work.

And actually if you had read my post, I did say some people don't have phones and I also don't have the internet to run my life. I just find it more convenient to do my banking, has you have pointed out, you have Direct Debits, how are they paid, by the use of the internet..... :roll: :roll:

Don't think I am having a go at you personally Phillip. It's a general question. Think about how much the internet is used outside of your home environment.......

And the other thing is, if you didn't have the internet, you wouldn't be able to post anything on here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 am

I do also hope the person for whom the reason I started this thread gets his internet sorted out soon... :roll: :roll: :roll: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:33 am

TonyW wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:16 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pmHow would we find out about any area steam ups, I know by letter, or the phone, some members don't have a phone. How would we find out if a steam up was cancelled because of some reason or another, Carrier Pigeon perhaps.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been going to steam ups since the late 1980s. Back then there was no internet, no mobile phones and no email. We managed.
Life was a little bit easier then in someway hey Tony, :sunny: (not including the interference of politicians), we somehow managed so much better. What was a smartphone, or a computer. We went into the bank to put money in and take it out. We seemed to have more time to relax and enjoy life.
Well I did anyway..... :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 am I do also hope the person for whom the reason I started this thread gets his internet sorted out soon... :roll: :roll: :roll: :thumbright:
That person is me and I thank Rod for opening up the thread. My router self destructed at the end of last week and I have been off-line until about 30 minutes ago.... I must say it was like having a limb removed!
BUT....... the ones who regularly use the internet are all in the same boat, that is it has become the communication method of choice when others are also using the service. It is less intrusive than using the telephone which requires an immediate response, and may be inconvenient to the recipient.
I have nothing to do with social media (unless you include this Forum?) and I feel the need to keep my friends and colleagues up to date with developments in connection with our model exhibition programme and social gatherings, I can't think of a better way than this. However, one of our group has no internet and I do keep him updated by 'phone. If I had to do this for all concerned I would spend my life on the 'phone and that would be more of a problem.
I don't run a business but time is precious, especially when we are low on gas!
I wouldn't allow all of my activities be run by electronic gadgetry, there are some things which just don't require such technology and are only there to make someone wealthy.
So..... some good points and some bad, we are all free to choose our our own way.
p.s. If only I could get rid of our TV's I would be much happier about that than ending the internet.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:53 am

Really glad your back online again Peter. You can catch up with all the goings on on the forum. And of course all those emails you would have had catching up with no doubt.... :lol: :lol:

There is one more thing that most members don't seem to realise, without the internet your local supermarket and every high street shop, wether it be clothes, butchers, vegetable, coffee shop, travel agents, cinema, transport operators, (who by the way I was a part of) or pretty much all of them use electronic tills and have computer screens to view what you are looking for and with out them they all come to a stand still. On the transport side of things, the system is set up to work out routes and any ordering to be delivered to stores, shops, hospitals and homes. It would inconvenience them all with out the internet.

How about the members who don't live in this country, how would we communicate with them. Has Peter has said, not all of us like to talk over the phone and Skype has a member did mention, is online based, so we and them wouldn't know what was going on with out the internet..... :thumbright:

Has it did for Peter and everyone of us who use this forum........ :thumbright: