Dreaming of a small Indoor layout

What is your latest project?
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dreaming of a small Indoor layout

Post by -steves- » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Also looking forwards to seeing the finished turnouts, as Rik said, I am surprised they are not produced commerciallyby someone already. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:58 am

So having proved that the circular turnout works, now to prove I get get the 3 wagon train up a 1’ radius, 6% grade. I had made a bit of aluminium 1’ rad track earlier (see post #1).
It is very rigid but I was able to put it on a 6% grade for tests. And the train worked OK.
See this video…..

Here is the layout plan ‘so far’ Since it will be in my wife’s old pottery ‘studio’ it will be a line that connects a clay quarry and a pottery factory. It’s two-level, if you can follow the dwg..
IMG_8954J .jpg
IMG_8954J .jpg (307.45 KiB) Viewed 4887 times

One last problem to overcome – I use hook and chain couplings on the garden line, but since the indoor will be for shunting. I’ll need couplings that are easier to operate. Hmmmm…. Something magnetic? Or hook and loop?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:02 am

GTB wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 pm Those turntables are crying out to be automated with a stepper motor and a micro controller of some sort.
Regards,
Graeme
Much as I love electronics, I doubt that will ever happen. Nice dream though.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am

Magnetic couplings are the way to go:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am

gregh wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:58 am And the train worked OK.
That's good, you are cooking with gas now.......

I'm not much help with couplers, especially on that sort of curve. Hook and loop are pretty much bullet proof though, if you can stand the appearance.

Maybe experiment with something like Rik's bent wire ones, which are unobtrusive, especially if you use magnets for uncoupling instead of ramps.

Regards,
Graeme

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 am

Very carefully planned and tested, Greg, it deserves to be a success. Well done and thanks for documenting this for the benefit of others.
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 am

gregh wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:58 am

Here is the layout plan ‘so far’ Since it will be in my wife’s old pottery ‘studio’
It looks to be a real masterpiece in the making. One question though, what are the O/A dims?
Philip

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:01 pm

:thumbright:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:05 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 am It looks to be a real masterpiece in the making. One question though, what are the O/A dims?
You can scale off the plan but it is 2.0m on the right side, 2.8m across and 1.2m on the left side (triangular bit)
tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am Magnetic couplings are the way to go:
They are a fantastic idea Tom. Very, very clever. I have always liked the centre chopper types. BUT how would they go on the tight curves? They would have to 'swivel' a lot. Can they do that?
IMG_8881.JPG
IMG_8881.JPG (391 KiB) Viewed 4791 times

When I said magnetic I was thinking of this type of thing - 2 magnets - one north pole and one south pole so a wagon could always 'grab' another.
IMG_9152.JPG
IMG_9152.JPG (171.38 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
IMG_9149.JPG
IMG_9149.JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
These were just experiments - not completely successful. They are too 'wiggly' and can get all tied up!
I haven't really thought about how to get them uncoupled.
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:40 am

gregh wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:05 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am Magnetic couplings are the way to go:
They are a fantastic idea Tom. Very, very clever. I have always liked the centre chopper types. BUT how would they go on the tight curves? They would have to 'swivel' a lot. Can they do that?
Greg,
Just a thought for you - I've also always liked the way Tom's magnetic choppers work, but only having one Accucraft fitted loco it has never been economically viable to retrofit them to everything. I've played with various other DIY couplings thoughts but never found anything that I'm happy with. Then about 3 weeks ago, looking again at Tom's video of them in action I remembered that I had 3d printed some extra coupling pockets for him some while back, and that got me wondering whether I could actually print a whole coupling.
So far it's looking hopeful, the only bit left to do is fit the self-centring springs, which are currently somewhere on the way from China. The printed couplings I've played with so far have been to basically the same dims as Accucraft, but there is no reason as far as I can see why the pockets couldn't be made as wide as necessary to allow for whatever side play is required to go round your curves. The only slight unknown is the size of spring necessary to not get knotted. That then might require the pocket to be made longer and that in turn might increase the amount of swivel required, and that then might in require a longer spring, etc ....!

I can't post any pics atm, because I'm away, but will when I get back.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:03 am

Hi Greg,

They negotiated 2ft 6" with ease, I reckon they will work for you.

I will get a photo of two items coupled together so you can see how much they can swivel.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:56 am

This is so brilliant Greg. Can't wait to see how you end up with a running line. It's one to contemplate for indoor winter running here.....

Bergerac

Post by Bergerac » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 am

Very interesting. I'll follow your work with interest.