Larger scale Stuff

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Larger scale Stuff

Post by idlemarvel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm

The problem with 3 1/2" (in my eyes) is that you need a raised track so passengers can straddle the rails. Makes points a bit tricky. You can get away with ground level with 5" (I'm hoping this is really true!).
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:56 pm

The club I am joining has a raised track so that was my thinking with 3 1/2" gauge.

5" gauge is fine for ground running.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 pm

My dream loco would be a quarry Hunslet or a Bagnall for 7 1/4" track.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 pm

The loco I posted from SRS is the same size in 7 1/4" so you get the benefits of a large loco on 5" gauge track!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 am

Interesting Locomotives.
Are they a pair of Russells?
Narrow gauge on 3 1/2" can make for some very large engines, my Mountaineer is a two man lift and is capable of public haulage all day long and the club's Dholpur is about 5ft long and 5" gauge. It's sister engine was used at an IMLEC competition and rumour has it, they ran out of things for it to pull.
Regarding the raised vs ground level debate. I prefer running on raised track, for those of us who are not as flexible as they once were, running 5" on the ground can be a bit awkward especially if, like me you are 6ft tall and proudly carry a not inconsiderable liquid grain storage facility (beer gut).

Glad to see you are starting to get the bit between your teeth Tom.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks Jim, I had forgotten the name but the brown coloured loco uses a Dholpur chassis but freelance in appearance.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm

idlemarvel wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm The problem with 3 1/2" (in my eyes) is that you need a raised track so passengers can straddle the rails. Makes points a bit tricky. You can get away with ground level with 5" (I'm hoping this is really true!).
There are a couple of older live steam tracks here in Melbourne with 3.5 "/5" dual gauge track at ground level, one was built that way and the other was built elevated and later lowered to ground level. Locos run on either gauge and the passenger trucks run all on the 5" gauge.

Even 5" gauge is a bit problematic unless you can keep a tight rein on the passengers. On your home track it would be best to sit the grandkids in front of you on the riding truck. That way they can see where they are going and are less likely to lean out, plus you can keep an eye on what they are doing.

Raised tracks are like straddle beam monorails, you can use segmented switches to change route instead of using turnouts.

Regards,
Graeme

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

I have seen some wonderful pictures of people driving 31/2" on the ground. Standard procedure was to lie flat on a long riding truck.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:05 pm

GTB wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm ...
Even 5" gauge is a bit problematic unless you can keep a tight rein on the passengers. On your home track it would be best to sit the grandkids in front of you on the riding truck. That way they can see where they are going and are less likely to lean out, plus you can keep an eye on what they are doing.
Sounds like good advice Graeme, thanks! :-)
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 am

They do look really nice locos Tom, but well out of my league price wise. My older brother has made 4, 5" gauge and a couple of 3 1/2" also. The one he is most proud of has cost £4,000 to build, but he does have one that is worth £28,000...

Needless to say he is a snob when it comes to my 32mm Billy. But at least I can run my Billy with out having to get a lifting platform and start running it after about 5-10 minutes steaming up....I fell asleep waiting for his to get going recently..... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I love all forms of gauge, it keeps me fascinated all the time with the power they have no matter what the gauge is running...