Station Area Scenery

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Station Area Scenery

Post by metalmuncher » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:30 am

We've had a baseboard with a station track layout outside for a couple of years now, but it is in a bit of a sorry state:
1-1 track_resized.jpg
1-1 track_resized.jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 9781 times
I've finally decided to get on with scenery to smarten up that part of the layout. I'm hoping to chronicle the development of that area in this thread.

After reading Rik's excellent writeups on scored PVC foam for custom brickwork, I ordered a 5thk A3 sheet and had a go at a corner piece, which I thought came out OK so I moved on to something bigger and better...
1-2 test_resized.jpg
1-2 test_resized.jpg (182.34 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

I decided a simple first project could be a small water tower that would go between the run around loop tracks. I came up with a quick drawing showing the brickwork that I could follow to score the foamboard, hopefully minimising any mistakes on the actual model:
1-3 acad_resized.png
1-3 acad_resized.png (120.18 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

I also printed & laminated a ruler with the desired coursing & flemish bond marked, this is much better than counting out millimetres at a time!
1-4 ruler_resized.jpg
1-4 ruler_resized.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

The PVC foam was marked out, cut and filled as per Rik's writeups, resulting in a brick shell:
1-5 shell_resized.jpg
1-5 shell_resized.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

Time to move on to the tank. I threw together a design in Fusion360 for the panels and set the 3d printer off producing them. 4 sides and two roof pieces glue together, and corrugated sheeting is glued on top to produce a more interesting roof. The inspection hatch is also a 3d printed part.
1-6 tank_resized.jpg
1-6 tank_resized.jpg (144.36 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

The corrugated sheeting is produced from drink cans with a 3d printed roller tool:
1-7 roller_resized.jpg
1-7 roller_resized.jpg (167.41 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

Up until this point, the brick shell and tank were designed and built separately, not much thought given to how they would fit together. When I cut a slab for the tank bottom I realised the overhang looked a little excessive. 20 3d printed corbels later, I think the tank looks a little less precariously perched up there.
1-8 corbels_resized.jpg
1-8 corbels_resized.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

Now for the door. The outside frame was 3d printed, and plasticard scored for the wood-effect door itself. I regretted not putting windows in the long side walls, but this little one in the door will have to do. Bolt and hinges from the drink cans, handle from bent electronic component leads. My dad recently finished a riveting tool, so that got it's first try out on this door, the depth stop adjustment allows it to work quite well in both the thin sheet metal and 1.5thk plasticard. Could do with something like this for the brickwork perpend joint embossing...
1-9 door_resized.jpg
1-9 door_resized.jpg (212.45 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

To be continued...

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Station Area Scenery

Post by Dunitrong » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:52 am

Brilliant! but then you are my son. Please keep it up Rich. :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Excellent stuff. Nice to see how a foam board building ought to be constructed. You've surpassed my efforts tenfold. I really like your corrugator as well. I'm sure it must put less strain on the rollers passing the material through 'with the grain' as opposed to 'across the grain'.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Very clever and very effective. :thumbright:
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Superb for any attempt , let alone a first try! Can't wait to see subsequent production.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm

A masterpiece in ingenuity...... every new area of requirement covered with a make-it-work solution...... Brilliant!
I need a corrugation roller just like that too..... when you have time! I'm sure there will be a waiting list before long.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm A masterpiece in ingenuity...... every new area of requirement covered with a make-it-work solution...... Brilliant!
That was my thought too, very impressive.

I like the aesthetic too - I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished station area...

All the best,

Andrew.

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Managed to get the tower pretty much completed this weekend, mainly just painting and assembly, but also made up an external rising main:
2-1 pipe_resized.jpg
2-1 pipe_resized.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
It's built up from a bit of brass pipe with the details 3d printed, the brackets and valve are just slipped over the end of the pipe and glued in place.

Painting is always the part of a project I dread, but it didn't end up looking too bad I think. There are many finish issues I know are present, but I hope from a reasonable distance they can't be seen. :)
2-2 front_resized.jpg
2-2 front_resized.jpg (183.07 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
2-3 rear_resized.jpg
2-3 rear_resized.jpg (177.98 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
Might not be the final location above, I also need to look at making a water crane to go with it.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:05 pm

First class, Rich.

You could attach the water crane arm to the face of the tower, rather than making a separate crane?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Brilliant! Love it! So much detail. Makes me envious of your 3D printer - I was wondering where you got those brackets and fittings.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Excellent piece of work, really looks the part.
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Absolutely amazing work, very well done, looks fantastic. Also loving the rivet tool, thats a wondrous bit of engineering :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:58 pm

You have to feel justifiably proud of the end result, it is a wonderful piece of construction which will blend into its surroundings without creating attention, ..... that is the mark of success!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm
I need a corrugation roller just like that too..... when you have time! I'm sure there will be a waiting list before long.

I will be second in line for a roller please.

Your water tower is absolutely brilliant. Some great thought and ideas are put together to make a superb water tower.