Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am

Great to see your line again Peter. Looking forward to seeing more builds and even more of your line. :thumbright:

Has you say Peter,

......The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Because you love Garden Railways maybe...... :scratch: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Really great views of your townscape, Peter. You have the artist's knack of good composition. How have the town drains worked over the winter?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am

Peter, you have probably been asked before, but can you please tell me which type of SBR you use. I have seen 501,503 and various others. I want to use it at some point on our line and I don't want to get the wrong one.

I am not wanting to get Anne's wraf again for buying the wrong stuff.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm The weather has been wonderful for a number of days now and I took the opportunity to set out all of my structures and accessories which have been in the shed over winter. A few recent additions have been made and it is such a great feeling to see them all out again after such a long time.
Amazing photos Peter. From that angle, and with detail such as the vehicles and miniature plants I really had to check these weren't photos of full size scenes, even though I recognised the buildings as your own! Also it's amazing how the trees in the background blend in, just as if they're a bit nearer (rather than 19x over scale!)

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 am

As others have said Peter, fantastic modelling. The photography is good too.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am Peter, you have probably been asked before, but can you please tell me which type of SBR you use.
Rod, I use 503 Premium which is advertised in a yellow container. I don't recall seeing other types but they should all do much the same thing.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am Peter, you have probably been asked before, but can you please tell me which type of SBR you use.
Rod, I use 503 Premium which is advertised in a yellow container. I don't recall seeing other types but they should all do much the same thing.
I've been using the Cementone product, but that ran out a couple of weeks ago and I bought the Everbuild 503 Premium simply because it was the cheapest I could find at the time. I've used both on a section of track and there appears to be no difference now that it's all dried.

There is an Everbuild 501 PVA Bond, which isn't the same thing at all, being PVA not SBR.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Oh dear..... I think this garden railway bug has infected me after all. Today I had a most welcome visit by Dennis and Julie with her marvellous Merlin Mayflower and I found myself playing trains both during their stay and after they had left. This is something I don't normally do and I might be seeking counselling if it continues?
The weather was slightly cooler than recently but bright and sunny which made it a real pleasure, it was a treat to see the Merlin hauling a train of my coaches, which it did with ease, and ran so smoothly for a heritage loco with single 'stick' controller.....
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG (172.71 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG (193.74 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG_6380.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG (179.48 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG_6382.JPG
IMG_6382.JPG (166.28 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 am

Looking bloody brilliant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 17, 2019 7:35 am

The vegetation infilling is really adding to the effect now. Especially the big clump behind the phone box in this second picture. :D
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks Peter and Phillip for your replies on the SBR... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Peter what a wonderful day you looked to have had and the Merlin sure is a beautiful looking loco.

Your line is looking great again and I am extremely jealous, :mrgreen: I think it's the first time I have seen the crossing. Those gates do look good and weathered with the rust and all...

We must at some point in our trips come and see you both......Anne would be amazed at what you have done. She is getting more and more into it....Bless her.. :queen:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am How have the town drains worked over the winter?

Rik
Hi Rik,
sorry for the delay in replying to your question, I seem to have been inundated with visitors since getting my railway 'dressed' again.
The answer is that they coped admirably, there is one small area where a slight dip in the roadway escaped my attention but elsewhere it is perfectly clear. Recently I removed the drain covers to check inside the pipework, the only thing I discovered was some dust settlement where the covers sit on their support, otherwise the pipes were doing their job.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 pm
small area where a slight dip in the roadway escaped my attention
Glad to see your local council highways dept is no better than anywhere else! :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Those photos are wonderful! With your railway looking that good it's hardly surprising you've been inundated with visitors...

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:26 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am How have the town drains worked over the winter?

Rik
This is the second time I have answered your question Rik, but this time I can include pictures which I think prove the point. Just as when heavy rainfall carries debris along gutters to a drainage point it gets deposited around the grille and the water runs away in the drain, the same applies in miniature. You can imagine how it would look if all of the water just lay there with all of the detritus it carries.....
IMG_6440.JPG
IMG_6440.JPG (152.69 KiB) Viewed 5300 times

IMG_6441.JPG
IMG_6441.JPG (151.5 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
More of a concern is the nuisance caused by our feathered friends who fling my track-side accessories everywhere in their search for insects.....

IMG_6442.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG (215.46 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
IMG_6445.JPG
IMG_6445.JPG (183.16 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_6446.JPG (206.26 KiB) Viewed 5300 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:26 pm
More of a concern is the nuisance caused by our feathered friends who fling my track-side accessories everywhere in their search for insects.....

You have my sympathy with that Peter. Not so much trackside accessories, but I've lost count of the number of times already that I've retrieved and replanted the vegetation along the stream banks. When they fling it actually into the water it then floats downstream and clogs the filter bag in the top of the sump!
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Our Jackdaws are masters at dismantling a low retaining wall on my line that supports the drainage shingle beside the line. The retaining wall is made with modern standard (35-75mm) 12" to the foot scale track ballast. You'd think they come armed with jacks and bars but I've watched them and its just their beaks they use! :shock:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am

Well Peter, just goes go's to show how true to life you make your scenes. If we were to be 16mm scale and walking down your village streets we would encounter all that debris.

Has for those pesky birds, not much you can do about them is there, apart from putting heavy stones like you have done on the wagons. Other things, like the logs and stuff. well...... :(

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:30 pm

I don't seem to have achieved much recently, other than decorating the living room, painting the house and fences, entertaining guests, attending shows, gardening and other time wasting things, so little to report.... other than my current build, a wooden kit of the 'Rocket' which I received for my birthday in April.
Not much progress there either, except that I decided it should be motorised as a static model so needed a motor with slow running capabilities. Searching good old e-Bay I stumbled upon such a thing with 12v, 1A, 40 RPM spec. At only £13.00 (freepost from China) I thought I would order one and it arrived yesterday.
Having seen it in close-up I have just ordered a second with 90 RPM speed which I can adapt to use on a future loco build as it is possible to fit 33mm diam. wheels directly onto the 6mm axle which is at 90* to the motor and extends either side of the gearbox.
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG (108.82 KiB) Viewed 5360 times

This unit is amazing for its build quality and power output, I have had it running from an old 'Duet' transformer/controller and it is so smooth and quiet it will be well suited to power a slow running loco. It does need large diameter wheels as the gearbox is fairly big, but it will allow wheels to be fitted easily within 32mm gauge.
IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6532.JPG (135.81 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
IMG_6533.JPG
IMG_6533.JPG (133.92 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
Other voltages/reductions are also available... JGY 370 Speed Reducer Gear Motor.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 am

That looks to be quite a find Peter.
As you say there is a variety of voltages and rated speeds available and I realise that you chose the 12v version to run from a transformer. Have you tried it on a lower voltage, say 7.2v to simulate batteries?
Philip