Track Plans

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Track Plans

Post by SpudUk » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm trying to turn my mind to a track plan for the garden, which I can then build in phases over the next few years. However I can't seem to get my head around it, so I thought I'd reach out to the group. In a few modelling groups I've been on there's been a few threads for hypothetical track plans, and I wondered if we could have the same here?

Ultimately I'm looking for an end to end line, but with loops to allow for continuous running, and multiple heights for interest (or at least a bridge or two). Due to garden shape it'd need to be upside-down J or U shaped (there is a massive garage on one side).

What do you think? Don't worry about garden size, just some hypothetical layouts based on that framework.
Chris Auckland

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Track Plans

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 16, 2019 2:48 pm

This software helped me with planning:

www.anyrail.com

Free to use up to 50 pieces of track.

In terms of design, ask yourself what do you want from the railway?

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu May 16, 2019 3:11 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:48 pm This software helped me with planning:

www.anyrail.com

Free to use up to 50 pieces of track.

In terms of design, ask yourself what do you want from the railway?
Unfortunately AnyRail isn't available on Mac
Chris Auckland

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Chris, several people have in the past published plans of their own emprires, if you do a search. The problem is that everyone has different idea's about what they want to achieve, different size and shapes of garden and different budget and timescales, so generic trackplans are less feasible than for, say, 00 indoors layouts.

You say don't worry about size, but IMO that is actually possibly the most significant factor, since it will potentially dictate the size of loops and curve radius and hence influence loco's and rolling stock. Also, you suggest 'multiple heights' which will obviously require gradients which will also be affected by garden size.

Could you post a rough dimensioned sketch of the garden and any restrictions such as access paths, flower beds that can't be moved, garage door, sheds, etc.. That way you might get some suggestions.
Philip

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 am

philipy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:45 pm You say don't worry about size, but IMO that is actually possibly the most significant factor, since it will potentially dictate the size of loops and curve radius and hence influence loco's and rolling stock. Also, you suggest 'multiple heights' which will obviously require gradients which will also be affected by garden size.
The only reason I said not to worry about size was because I was curious as to what people would come up with, and then I could take ideas, rather then operating within the confines of my garden dimensions.

Anyway - this is roughly my garden:

Chris Auckland

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi - I use PowerPoint - drawing lines and shapes and adding text and colour - I use it a lot at work so I guess I'm able to get lots of practice - the example below is what I have in mind for my new line once I can sell my house and by a new one - it shows a garage at the bottom with two stations inside which are joined by track outside on the garden with various other stations and a quarry

The first two 'Y' points out in the garden are pivotal to the design as they allow access to both end stations but also create a loop for continual running - so it can cope with lovely sunny days outside, rainy days when I can play inside and send trains through the garden between the two indoor stations and also bring all teh stock in at the end of the day for security etc

The line also includes a branch to my workbench inside my garage - the lines 'works' - cool eh?

The blue line is a standard guage connect with the transhipment platform in between - one question......does anyone make track at 16:1 at a scale standard gauge?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (121.04 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Where did I put that uncoupler?