Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 pm
I use only Citadel acrylic paints for all my buildings and much of my stock...... The paint is of the highest quality and has dense pigment and will withstand being left outside in all weathers for many years......
Peter,
I just bought some of those two paints from Games Workshop to do some experimenting. The very pleasant guy in the shop asked what I was doing with it and when I told him it was for a garden railway he suggested that it would be essential to give it a top coat of weather resistant varnish. The implication of your post is that you've never found that necessary?
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:35 pm

Philip,
as I said in my description, my structures have withstood the wet and windy conditions here for several years in some cases and I have not found it necessary to use a varnish. The structures made of HIP have stood up far better than the resin ones, which often show signs of the paint peeling..... I can't see how a lacquer would prevent that as the paint is simply not bonding to the material, not being worn or washed off.
On one building only I did apply a spray coat of clear matt lacquer to the roof which is unpainted black HIP. This is now showing signs of the lacquer allowing water underneath the surface and a change of colour. I imagine the movement of the roof 'slates' in the changing conditions is letting water in, but not out again?
I have no doubt the shop assistant is very knowledgeable on his subject of the paints when used as intended, however, I doubt he has any experience of them being used outdoors.
The paints are made in such a way that a skin forms on the surface which remains flexible but waterproof, personally I would not recommend sealing the surface with anything.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Ok, thanks Peter. My thoughts were along those lines too, but the confirmation is worth having.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:12 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 pm After a light sanding I spray grey primer and allow to dry. In this instance I have dry brushed with Citadel acrylic paint (Dryad Bark) to show highlights and after drying a wash coat of Agrax Earthshade to settle in the grooves.
Peter, I think I'm in need of a Butler MasterClass.

I've followed your notes, as exactly as I could, but it seems to have come out a very even dark brownish colour all over, not quite the worn wood effect I was after.

Both sprayed with Halfords grey primer.
Both given a rough dry brush of Dryad Bark .
Bottom one given a wash of Agrax Earthshade - used neat from the bottle, should it be diluted?
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (325.07 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:44 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:12 am
Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 pm After a light sanding I spray grey primer and allow to dry. In this instance I have dry brushed with Citadel acrylic paint (Dryad Bark) to show highlights and after drying a wash coat of Agrax Earthshade to settle in the grooves.
Peter, I think I'm in need of a Butler MasterClass.

I've followed your notes, as exactly as I could, but it seems to have come out a very even dark brownish colour all over, not quite the worn wood effect I was after.

Both sprayed with Halfords grey primer.
Both given a rough dry brush of Dryad Bark .
Bottom one given a wash of Agrax Earthshade - used neat from the bottle, should it be diluted?

DSC_0001.JPG
I'm glad it's not just me. I had a go as well and ended up with similar results. I think Peter has magic fingers.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

I reckon they're looking pretty good, especially the top one!

I've never used that type of paint, but dilution might be the answer - weathered wood's often pretty pale, almost a silvery grey. It's a look I've tried to achieve several times, with mixed success - I thought I'd got it on my Swift Sixteen bogie well-wagon, using a very pale base colour with several thin layers of colour to represent ageing and bring out the grain, but was told that the wood still looked too "new"...

Good luck!

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:44 pm
I'm glad it's not just me. I had a go as well and ended up with similar results. I think Peter has magic fingers.

Rik
In which case I'm also glad it's not just me! :lol:
I think I may know the problem. The all over brown effect that I've ended up with, is actually not too disimilar to Peter's incline sleepers, which is where this discussion started. However I was really after something along the lines of Peter's bolster wagons, although perhaps not quite as yellow. So I've had a play with another vehicle and mixed up a kind of khaki to use as the base colour, with the Agrax Earthshade on top, and it looks a lot closer. My DIY mix has got too much yellow in it, but it shows I'm thinking in the right direction. Not good enough to put a picture up though.
Dependant on what Peter says when he sees this, I think another trip to Games Workshop to find a suitable base colour is in order. Selecting colour isn't really something you can do online and anyway its as cheap to pay GW shop prices as ebay+postage.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 pm

I would never criticise anyone's work or attempt to tell others how to do it, I can only offer suggestions as to what works for me and how I achieved it. If nothing else, it is clear I would never have succeeded in teaching! There will be no..... 'How to Garden Railway' publication anytime soon!
However, now you have offered the pictures Phillipy, my guess is that the graining effect could be more enhanced to show greater contrast between the colours and possibly the 'dry' brush was not dry enough? Your second picture seems to have achieved both of the techniques better than the first. Colour is something personal to you and represents the nature of the environment. It does take a little practise to get the effect and it seems that more paint is on the paper towel than on the model itself, but that is how to achieve the best finish.
I don't dilute any of the acrylic paints, or the wash.
Hope this helps.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Not much happening on the garden railway at the moment other than general cleaning and maintenance. The buildings which have been in the shed throughout the winter months have had a wash and brush-up, although very little required to any of the HIP structures. The resin ones need a little more paintwork but are all in good order.
Some weeding and gentle brushing away of dead leaves etc. is ongoing and freeing off points which seem to have become jammed with loose ballast. Now the longer days are approaching I will spend more time preparing to run some trains again.
In the meantime our group have begun the annual exhibition programme, displaying our models at the National Botanical Gardens of Wales and the Heritage Centre, Pembroke Dock.......
IMG_6246.JPG
IMG_6246.JPG (103.98 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG (107.1 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_6247.JPG
IMG_6247.JPG (113.91 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_6270.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
Not all railway models but a total of sixty linear feet of displays at one of the venues.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:49 am

This is how I do my Plasticard with the help of Peter's sample he had.

This is what I use for my card.
fullsizeoutput_14f6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_14f6.jpeg (210.74 KiB) Viewed 5492 times

Then I paint it with grey paint. I try to put it on with one stroke if possible, though depending on the length, one will end up with darker patches, but sometimes it works well with them.

!st Coat,
JPEG image-2734E0191EA6-1.jpeg
JPEG image-2734E0191EA6-1.jpeg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 5492 times

The following are different shades depending on how many coats you put on and how, don't be to heavy handed with the amount of paint on your brush. I try to put a little bit on a flat brush and then brush it out going down the piece I am working on.

Forgot to rotate this one.... :roll: :roll:
JPEG image-A3EEAFE3C2F4-1.jpeg
JPEG image-A3EEAFE3C2F4-1.jpeg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
JPEG image-8B879C1D0C3E-1.jpeg
JPEG image-8B879C1D0C3E-1.jpeg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
You can see how much darker it gets.

Now for what ever colour I want to use. Different shades going darker with the grey I put on. Although by experimenting with the amount of coats you can achieve the same shades with just how much you put on with the first coat of grey and the colour of your choice...
JPEG image-1C8EC62F3E52-1.jpeg
JPEG image-1C8EC62F3E52-1.jpeg (138.41 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
JPEG image-335AEAC31CD6-1.jpeg
JPEG image-335AEAC31CD6-1.jpeg (135.73 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
JPEG image-E364667A7F42-1.jpeg
JPEG image-E364667A7F42-1.jpeg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
I hope this helps in some way, it all trial and error really, but if you take your time and be careful with what ever colour your using, you can achieve similar results to Peter's.....Hopefully.... :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Well done Rod, you are a much better teacher than I could ever be. Your detailed and illustrated description shows the process and the finish can be left to individuals.
Thank you.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:51 pm

With the coming of better weather and the changing of the clocks I have been reluctant to start a new project working in 'our' kitchen and waiting for the right time to set up my workstation in the 'Engine shed' again. I have now made the move and straight away a new idea sprang into the void inside my head.
A new build was underway within hours......
IMG_6307.JPG
IMG_6307.JPG (109.93 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_6309.JPG
IMG_6309.JPG (115.81 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
And all because of this....

IMG_6310.JPG
IMG_6310.JPG (151.02 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_6313.JPG
IMG_6313.JPG (185.75 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
This is sited in the garden of one of the railway employees, the Crossing Keeper, who has decided to create a garden railway in a garden railway!
No doubt he has taken advantage of the BURPS workshop facilities, and probably materials too, but that's OK. He is a good worker and will provide an additional visitor attraction.... his wife does excellent cream teas too!
His loco can be stored in his shed, which is adorned with his collection of railway signage and enamel advertising items.....
IMG_6314.JPG
IMG_6314.JPG (129.5 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG (116.78 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG (109.44 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
IMG_6321.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG (148.18 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Some planting to add when the frosts have ended and his garden will be done.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Very good Peter. Love it!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 am

It really amazes me how you come up with these ideas Peter. It absolutely brilliant again. a truly fantastic idea mate. :notworthy: :notworthy:

By the way Peter..... I haven't seen this yet.... :lol: :lol:

:occasion4:

It's late by the way folks.....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 am

I have one of those with the Christmas theme...Has I suppose many do! You may have started something here Peter :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 am

Well, I'm really disappointed ........ you should have bashed the loco to resemble a Castle or King class ....... ;)

Another clever and imaginative build, Peter. Love the shed. You have a knack of choosing just the right colour scheme.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 am
Love the shed. You have a knack of choosing just the right colour scheme.
Looks very much like GWR "Light and Dark Stone" aka Stone No1 and Stone No.3.
Philip

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Superb! Absolutely superb! :D

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:39 pm

What a great idea, a garden railway in a model village garden. :sunny:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm

Although I have been reading and posting on other threads I haven't added to this one for weeks, so here is the latest news.....
The weather has been wonderful for a number of days now and I took the opportunity to set out all of my structures and accessories which have been in the shed over winter. A few recent additions have been made and it is such a great feeling to see them all out again after such a long time.
New plants have also been put in the ground in the hope the frosts have now either finished or are not too severe.
I even ran some trains, although I didn't bother to photograph them....... only my garden railway in a garden railway....
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6366.JPG (168.38 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
IMG_6365.JPG
IMG_6365.JPG (148.45 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
...and the village.....
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG (152.01 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6369.JPG (159.59 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG (143.92 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG (120.71 KiB) Viewed 5085 times