Loading hoppers for the sand quarry

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Loading hoppers for the sand quarry

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 am

Putting the finishing touches to the first loading hopper for the sand quarry. Three more to follow.
Mostly 3mm and 5mm foamboard, with a few bits of plasticard for detailing.
DSCI2383.JPG
DSCI2383.JPG (115.5 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
DSCI2384.JPG
DSCI2384.JPG (116.62 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
DSCI2386.JPG
DSCI2386.JPG (115.05 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Eventually, it will have a corrugated iron roof. I've got some miniature pulley blocks on order from Cornwall Model Boats to operated the sliding hatch and the loading chute. Decided they were a bit too fiddly to model from scratch.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Loading hoppers for the sand quarry

Post by philipy » Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Most impressive, as always.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Superb work there Rik, in case I missed it somewhere, what adhesive or solvent sticks foam-board to Plastikard?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Peter,
Rik may use something else but I use "Floplast", which sticks foamboard to itself and other plastics.
You have to ask for it at the checkout in Wickes/B&Q, etc, to stop you sniffing it!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 am

Hi both.
I use thick superglue for bonding both foamboard to itself and to plasricard. I use Vitalbond which can be bought on eBay quite reasonably in 50g bottles.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks guys, I've not heard of either so learned something new.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm

That looks good Rik. I must get back to my modelling and in particular using foam board. I have a couple of buildings under construction that I've put away. FWIW I use the cheap superglue for foam board. I get the cheapest I can find from Range.
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

IanC wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm .......... FWIW I use the cheap superglue for foam board. I get the cheapest I can find from Range.
I prefer the thick glue cos it stays where it's put. I also use an accelerator spray sometimes when I want something glued instantly - eg where I can't clamp the parts and I'm too impatient to hold them together.... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed May 08, 2019 1:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm
IanC wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm .......... FWIW I use the cheap superglue for foam board. I get the cheapest I can find from Range.
I prefer the thick glue cos it stays where it's put. I also use an accelerator spray sometimes when I want something glued instantly - eg where I can't clamp the parts and I'm too impatient to hold them together.... :lol:

Rik
I must try the accelerator, I notice Stephen Atkinson uses it most of the time, (I think I've watched all his YouTube content at least once).
On the flip side I like the thinking time that holding the parts gives you to reflect on your next step.

As an aside, once you've added roofs (should it be rooves?), to your hoppers, how would you envisage they would be filled?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 pm

As we've discussed before, I normally avoid superglues like the plague on the grounds that it gets everywhere and sticks everything except the bits I actually want to stick, and the joints never seem to last very long before failing, then it goes off in the tube and isn't available when I want it. Apart from all that, its quite good! :lol:

Still, perhaps I'll give it yet another go and try Rik's recommended type.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Rik

You only need that thin stuff if you are joining something that requires it. So like Rik, I use Javis Red thick glue for foam board. Same for me Rik, too impatient.. :lol: :lol:
But for Plasticard, it has to be the stuff that sticks pretty much straight away, so long has you don't put too much on.

This is what I use....

JPEG image-8C46C05004F3-1.jpeg
JPEG image-8C46C05004F3-1.jpeg (101.24 KiB) Viewed 6339 times

But all this talk about glue has distracted me :roll: from the main point of this thread.....

What blooming great job that is Rik... :notworthy: :notworthy: It's just so fantastic and even better after you have done your magic with the weathering Rik... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Please finish it soon, I am getting IMPATIENT ( :lol: :lol: ) to see it......

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:02 pm As an aside, once you've added roofs (should it be rooves?), to your hoppers, how would you envisage they would be filled?
Aha! You'll notice I've left the backs open. I was going to use conveyors to load them but I've figured I can position them against a rock face and load them from tipplers on a 2' gauge feeder line running behind and above them.

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm
BorisSpencer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:02 pm As an aside, once you've added roofs (should it be rooves?), to your hoppers, how would you envisage they would be filled?
Aha! You'll notice I've left the backs open. I was going to use conveyors to load them but I've figured I can position them against a rock face and load them from tipplers on a 2' gauge feeder line running behind and above them.

Rik
Nice one, I look forward to seeing what you come up with by way of a conveyor.
Where I live (East Northants) there was a lot of gravel extraction from the Nene valley in the 70s & 80s (replacing the earlier Ironstone and Limestone industries), this utilised conveyors and rather large trucks, mostly utilising the old track bed from the Northampton to Peterborough LNWR line.
I like to think my little 2ft diesals trundling around with their tippers is what happened in a slightly more romantic alternate timeline.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 09, 2019 1:19 pm

I'll keep you posted as to progress. Not sure how I'll do the 2' gauge feeder yet - might have to extend it on a trestle over the 3' gauge line - that will be interesting.... :shock: Can't decide whether to make it permanent or temporary. It's right in front of Beeston Castle station and is where I tend to put my foot when reaching over to the station, so a trestle might be a bit vulnerable. :?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Decided to make three loading hoppers rather than four. I have nine hopper wagons, so .......
More or less finished the main structures. I've rolled the aluminium for the corrugated iron roofs but won't fix them in place until after I've finished painting the hoppers. Also awaiting some larger pulley blocks for the chutes to arrive - the first ones I ordered are a bit too small - but I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

Test-fitted them in their eventual location. Had to 'adjust' some of the rockwork but I think they will look OK. The 2' gauge feeder will run behind them (and on a trestle over the 3' gauge line).
DSCI2502.JPG
DSCI2502.JPG (89.27 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
DSCI2500.JPG
DSCI2500.JPG (71.99 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
Painting next on the agenda.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Superb Rik, simply superb. :thumbup:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Seriously impressive structures Rik, your work rate is increasing at an astonishing pace with an increasing level of skill.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sat May 11, 2019 7:44 am

Clearly your clocks must run at a different rate to mine. I never seem to have enough time in the day to do what I do least of all your prodigious output. Well done Rik, yet another project that sets your line apart.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks folks. It does help to have an understanding and very tolerant partner. I suppose it keeps me from getting under her feet..... :?

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 am Thanks folks. It does help to have an understanding and very tolerant partner. I suppose it keeps me from getting under her feet..... :?

Rik
Same for me Rik... :lol: :lol:

Really really impressed with your hoppers Rik. Once you have painted them they will look even more superb. Waiting to see what colours you use.... :thumbright: