R/C and whistle for a RH Jennie

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

R/C and whistle for a RH Jennie

Post by KjellAn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 am

A few days ago I got my new RH Jenny in house. Black with red lining (pics will soon come here).

I got a r/c-kit and a pressure gauge. And will during winter start installation of these.

But I also want a steam whistle installed to. Could anyone here recommend what brand and where to put resonator and servo. This will be my first job doing some extras in the cab. Good advises are welcome.
Last edited by KjellAn on Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: R/C and whistle for a RH Jenny

Post by SimonWood » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am

I can point you at a couple of threads on doing this for a Millie, but I don't know how much help this will be as I'm not sure how similar they are to the internally fired Berties/Jennies.

hussra fitted his Millie with a DJB whistle: https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3258
and RC: https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6746

I fitted a Regner whistle to mine: https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10295
(but I've not fitted RC). It's still a bit hissy on occasions, but gives a good sound once it's warmed up.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: R/C and whistle for a RH Jennie

Post by KjellAn » Fri May 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello again.

Here is a pic of my RH Jennie ...

I have now got some parts to put in my RH Jennie cab:
- a DJB whistle
- a Roundhouse R/C-kit with a new steam regulator
- a Roundhouse pressure gauge

The first question which makes me wonder is - do I need the pressure gauge at all?
Some of my friends told me that I then will have to silver solder the steam pipe from the pressure gauge into the banjo for the whistle.
Because there are no place for both pipes/banjoes on the top of the steam turret.
If I could drop the pressure gauge I think this will makes all a better space in the cab and less job.

Here are some pics of the inside of the Jennie cab and the parts mentioned ...

Clockwise from the top: DJB-whistle with resonator-tube, RH pressure gauge, whistle valve, and R/C steam regulator

Next question is what brands of radio transmitter, receiver and servoes do you recommend?
There are a lot of brands - priced from 50£ and way above.
Do I need a radio transmitter with digital fine tuning of the servoes?
I will have one transmitter to each engine because then I dont would worry about changing the transmitter to different engines.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat May 04, 2019 6:20 am

Assuming your safety valve has been tested and is working properly, the pressure gauge is not essential to run yourengine. I think the gauge just adds something interesting to the model, in the same way that a whistle or chuff pipe does. I know some people like to run their engines at a certain pressure, 25psi is common I think, and the gauge certainly does help you to do that. But by observing the engine's behaviour and experimenting with the gas regulator setting, you will soon be able to find the settings for best running without a pressure gauge.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sat May 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks Keith S.
I have 2 other steam engines, and I dont look so much at those pressure gauges either.
I maybe want to install the pressure gauge later.