TVT - Start of Steam Operation

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
GTB
Driver
Driver

TVT - Start of Steam Operation

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:55 am

With the track and rolling stock all working properly, it is time for a bit of steam running. That's why the track was built after all........

Shunting isn't my thing, so as previously noted, this stage of the track is just a large oval (120 ft. run) similar to tracks commonly used for running G1 trains. What I do like to do though, is testing and performance measurement, for which this track is ideal. The start of steam running also confirms that an elevated track with no gradients makes steaming and managing a steam loco much easier.

Melbourne in Autumn often has good weather and Friday morning was a lovely day for boiling some water, temperature 18 degC, sunny and calm........

The first photo shows Bunyip sitting in the morning sun, waiting while the pressure builds up. This loco has had a lot of trouble with the safety valves that were originally fitted, so this was a good chance to see how the recently fitted replacements worked.

Fourth Steam Run 1.jpg
Fourth Steam Run 1.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Taking photos of a moving train isn't easy, as digital cameras have a mind of their own and the loco can move out of frame by the time it gets around to actually taking the image....... :roll:

The next shot shows Bunyip wheeling a fast goods into the curve at the northern end, trailing a small steam plume. The train is ten bogie vehicles for 40 axles. The loco is mechanically more or less identical to a Roundhouse #24 and has no problem maintaining speed and pressure with this size train. The new Accucraft G1 safety valves are a semi pop type and were working well, opening and closing quietly and quickly for less than a second at the same place on each trip around the track.

Fourth Steam Run 3.jpg
Fourth Steam Run 3.jpg (278.14 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

The last pic shows the train accelerating as it leaves the curve through the junction heading south over the bridge and onto the straight. With the sun behind it, the steam plume is emphasised. This loco is fairly wet, even with superheating and it will be interesting to see what it looks like on a cold, sunny day in winter.

Fourth Steam Run 2.jpg
Fourth Steam Run 2.jpg (166.59 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Running time lasted for 25 min and 20 circuits of the track, so average speed was a reasonable 22scale mph. A quick calculation showed the loco was developing an average only 0.7W to run the train.

Doesn't say much for the thermal efficiency of these small steam engines, as the burner puts out around 700 watts when set to the minimum gas setting for running. My old Merlin Motor Mule manages the same train using only 3 watts of electrical power. The steam engine has a higher fun factor though....... ;)

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: TVT - Start of Steam Operation

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Fantastic photos graeme!, Bunyip looks very nice.

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

That’s a stunning loco! Right up my street!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 am

I remember reading in an old book- what book it was is lost to my memory now, although I think it was part of an American "Time/Life" science series my stepdad had- that the thermal efficiency of the finest steam engines was something like 8%.. and diesels about 20%. Dunno why those numbers have stuck with me. I don't even know if they are true!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Keith S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 am - that the thermal efficiency of the finest steam engines was something like 8%.. and diesels about 20%.
As far as I know 8% would be correct for the last generation of conventional steam locos, although Chapelon claimed 10% and reckoned he could get up to 12%, but that was at the expense of extra complexity. 20% is a bit low for a diesel motor which should be at least 30%, but about right for a petrol motor.

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Lovely looking loco Graeme.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 am

Yesterday morning was another good day for boiling water, so the TVT passenger service was inaugurated.

The first photo shows Tambo sitting in late morning sunshine, while the station staff sweep out the pass cars for the weekly passenger train and the crew have smoko.

Fifth Steam Run 1.jpg
Fifth Steam Run 1.jpg (188.6 KiB) Viewed 10612 times

The next photo shows it on the 'big wheel' rolling a light load north along the back straight at about 30 scale mph.

Fifth Steam Run 3.jpg
Fifth Steam Run 3.jpg (197.66 KiB) Viewed 10612 times

The last photo is the now obligatory shot showing Tambo leaving the bridge as it accelerates the train away from the junction. If I'd deliberately tried to build the track to do this, it wouldn't have worked. However serendipity kicked in and the combination of a curve and a very slight upgrade means the trains slow as they enter the curve and turnouts at the northern end of the track and don't speed up again until they've crossed the bridge.........

Fifth Steam Run 4.jpg
Fifth Steam Run 4.jpg (156.89 KiB) Viewed 10612 times

It managed a 17 min non-stop run for 14 circuits of the track, at an average scale speed of 23 mph. It should run a bit longer than that, so I need to do something about the leaky safety valve.

Regards,
Graeme

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Lovely locos and pictures :thumbright:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am

Yesterday was shopping day and when I got home the afternoon was sunny, so I decided to run a branchline service before I had to go out again.

The photo shows the regular branchline loco Borun sitting in the afternoon sunlight, waiting to be lit up.

Sixth Steam Run 1.jpg
Sixth Steam Run 1.jpg (155.09 KiB) Viewed 10481 times

By the time the pressure was high enough to start running the sun had disappeared and it looked like rain would interrupt proceedings. The sky stayed overcast for the rest of the run, then cleared when I went out again........ Marvellous Melbourne, if you don't like the weather just wait a little while until it changes. :roll:

The next photo shows the weekly mixed train hurrying south through the gloom to connect with the mainline mixed before the storm hits.

Sixth Steam Run 3.jpg
Sixth Steam Run 3.jpg (233.29 KiB) Viewed 10481 times

The last photo shows the train slowing as it approaches the bridge and the junction.

Sixth Steam Run 2.jpg
Sixth Steam Run 2.jpg (179.72 KiB) Viewed 10481 times

The loco is based on a Roundhouse Katy kit chassis and boiler, so performance is predictable and reliable. The loco is now a couple of years old, but this was it's first run outside.

It took more steam to run the loco than to pull the load, but it managed 20 circuits in 21 mins at an average scale speed of 26 mph. Strangely, while it has smaller wheels, it runs faster than than the TVT mainline locos with larger dia wheels at the same regulator setting and requires more attention to keep the speed down. I need more practice I think......

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Beautiful looking locos Graeme. I like that mixed train in the second set of photos. Very nice!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Do you have a build thread of that loco as I would be interested in how you built the chassis?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 pm

What beautiful locos and rolling stock! I've often admired the photos you've posted of the growing collection, but it's great to see them in action, they look perfect in the garden - I look forward to further pictures!

All the best,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:30 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm Do you have a build thread of that loco as I would be interested in how you built the chassis?
Not a lot of detail in there on extending the chassis, but the thread is here.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10686

The Roundhouse 0-4-0 chassis kit is used for the Katie, Billy and George models, so it comes with extra headstocks (buffer beams). I extended the frames by silver brazing pieces of spare headstock in place. A silver brazed joint is as strong as the frame metal so the frames could then be profiled to the final shape with a piercing saw.

Holding the parts in position to prevent movement while brazing was a real problem. In retrospect it would have been less work and bad language to cut new frames and use the old ones as a template to drill the new ones.

When I subsequently built the Bagnall 2-6-2 I used a RH Fowler chassis kit, but I cut new frames instead of trying to extend the ones in the kit.

Regards,
Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks, we aim to please....... 8)

The next TVT train service will probably be the Big Black Baldwin on a long roadside goods and if the weather holds out, I'll try to run some timber trams before winter closes things down.

I also need to do some work on the Garratt sometime to get it ready for load testing.

Regards,
Graeme

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi Graeme,

Your locos and rolling stock are superb. As I’ve said in an earlier post they’re right up my street, I model Colonial prototypes in 009. My 009coaching stock even uses the same livery that you’re using!

The American style combine in your last set of photos is particularly interesting. I’ve had an idea forming over the past few weeks to Anglicise a pair of Bachmann big hauler ones to run with my Baldwins. Do you have any closer photos of it by any chance?

I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection, especially the Garratt!

Thanks,
Rob

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am

Finally got your locos and rolling stock running on your'e brilliant line. It's been a great achievement for you, especially in that heat you have down there.

Can we expect a short video of your locos. It would be great for the members to see and hear them.

Ps, Spelling mistakes from me.... :roll: :roll:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:28 am

RobRossington wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 pm I’ve had an idea forming over the past few weeks to Anglicise a pair of Bachmann big hauler ones to run with my Baldwins. Do you have any closer photos of it by any chance?
There's a couple of my threads on Australianising the Bachmann pass cars. The colour scheme I use is the one the VR used on Melbourne suburban electric cars from the mid '30s to the late '50s.

This thread is the straight pass car conversion based on some broad gauge cars imported from the US. It contains more detail on what was done to the Bachmann models.

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 57#p114957

The van version is covered in this thread and is based on another broad gauge car type, converted by the VR from the old pass cars by adding a guard's compartment for outer suburban traffic.

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 04#p122004

The pass cars are similar to some ng stock built by UK builders for export, but the van is more of an Aust. special.

Luckily I don't need any more passenger stock, as Bachmann prices are rising locally due to scarcity and while they are cheap enough in the US, the postage is ludicrous, making the final cost too much for what they are........

Regards,
Graeme

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks Graeme. They’re stunning.

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Great Photos and Workmanship as always Graeme, rather fond of the Livery on Bourn! hope to see some timber tram action soon!.
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am Can we expect a short video of your locos. It would be great for the members to see and hear them.
Sorry Rod, I'm a card carrying Luddite. I don't own any device that can take a video and have little interest in buying one.

Regards,
Graeme