Multiple small projects

What is your latest project?
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Multiple small projects

Post by Keith S » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:39 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 am Beautifully finished models. I really like all the fine details. I'd give my right arm for your modelling skills, but then I'd have problems trying to model with just one arm ..... :?

Rik
That's a nice thing to say, Rik, but all I do is build kits and glue little odds and bobs to them. I'm afraid if you saw them close up they would be revealed to be no better than most and definitely worse than some. The reason for this "project" of improving all my rolling-stock is because of the hasty way I built it all in the first place. I used to only care about the locomotive, but lately have become more interested in wagons and things. Can't afford to be interested in locomotives!

Your scratch-building activities are far more worthy of praise than my kit-building.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Here is the latest instalment in my project to improve my rolling-stock: The brake van!

It's been on my mind for some time now that my IP brake-van doesn't have brakes. I feel that brake-vans, like locomotives, can always benefit from some extra detail anyway, but isn't it funny that most brake vans don't come with very much braking gear detail. Anyway, I've started adding some to my van, and here is how it looks so far. In order to get any reasonable level of detail on this vehicle, I've had to order parts from many suppliers.

The brake-shoes are from "Ozark Miniatures" in the U.S.A. This company makes 1:20 scale rolling stock kits and parts that have a very high level of detail.

The frame irons are from I.P. engineering, and are the same ones that I put on my other goods wagons.

The steps are home-made

The vacuum bags, frame hangers and vacuum cylinder are from Brandbright.
IMG_3146.jpg
IMG_3146.jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
IMG_3145.jpg
IMG_3145.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 6150 times

I haven't finished this yet; I need to make some rods to connect the brake-shoes to the central shaft and paint everything black of course. The good thing about all these parts is that they give the van some much-needed weight. It was very light before and came off the tracks rather easily. Now it has a bit of mass it seems much smoother.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:13 pm

I like the brake shoes, I have used the Cambrian ones which I think are overscale for 16mm.

If you want to improve your rolling stock further the wheels need painting or chemically blackening!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm

That's true, I never thought of that. I painted my loco wheels but not any rolling-stock. Can you recommend a way to chemically blacken them? That sounds more durable than paint. I'd like to do that to the cylinder ends on the loco, too.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 am

Keith S wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm Can you recommend a way to chemically blacken them? That sounds more durable than paint. I'd like to do that to the cylinder ends on the loco, too.
The brake van is looking good with brake gear fitted and it helps fill in the void under goods wagons. If you want even more weight fit white metal vacuum cylinders as well, as they are much larger than air brake cylinders and therefore heavier in solid metal.

I spray my wheels underframe colour when I paint the model, it saves masking off, or dismantling the underframe........

It would be just as easy to brush paint the wheels as chemically blackening them I should think.

I use Birchwood Casey 'Super Blue' liquid gun blue for colouring mild steel, brass and copper. Contrary to what the label suggests, the finish is a deep black when used on steel and black with a slight brown tone on copper and it's alloys. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and rub it on to a clean and degreased surface with a cotton bud, until the colour builds up to what you want. It's easy enough to find here in Oz from the nearest gunshop, so I would think it should be fairly easy to find in Canada. They have a range of metal colouring solutions, including one for aluminium.

Another brand you could look for would be Jax who make a range of metal colouring solutions, including brown, grey and rust, as well as one for blackening pewter/whitemetal. They seem to be intended for the jewellery trade, as that's the only place I've found them stocked locally.

Regards,
Graeme

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks Graeme, good advice there. I suppose I ought to have known gun blue solution would be black- you don't see many blue guns.

If you look closely at the van, there is actually a great big white-metal vacuum cylinder under there. Like you say, it's quite heavy. I had to shorten it a little because the sole-bars on this model are quite narrow.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 am

I haven't successfully managed to blacken the brass to 'black' that Roundhouse use for their live steam parts or even brass overlays for buffers, not sure it's not some sort of brass composite? It either goes brown or gunmetal colour.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 am

I use Birchwood Casey Gun Blue on everything. It does seem to have bit of a brownish tinge on brass, but it just looks as though its a bit rusty, which is fine on brake gear, axles, buffers, etc.
Philip

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I'll bet it would look quite good on those steel wheels though- I'll snoop around the hunting section of the hardware shop this week-end and see if they have any.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Keith S wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm I'll bet it would look quite good on those steel wheels though-
Steel wheels with Birchwood Casey gun blue on backs & fronts. I did it with the wheels installed and it's difficult to get to the fronts to rub them, but the backs have gone that nice blackish-brownish colour. I think a little smear of oil on the fronts might lose the orangey rust colour.
DSC_0001 (3).JPG
DSC_0001 (3).JPG (161.11 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:42 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 am I haven't successfully managed to blacken the brass to 'black' that Roundhouse use for their live steam parts or even brass overlays for buffers, not sure it's not some sort of brass composite? It either goes brown or gunmetal colour.
Gun blue is designed to blacken steel and it doesn't work as well on brass. I used to use A-West 'Blacken-it' which was available in hobby shops and worked well on brass, but is no longer available.

The brass Roundhouse use on machined parts will probably be a free machining grade, which has lead in it. The etched bits will be another grade of brass again. The brass blackening chemicals sold for the jewellery trade may work better on brass than gun blue, but I've not tried them.

Gun blue is sold for touching up worn patches on firearms and doesn't do a good job of blackening large areas. The original finish on steel would have been a hot process that isn't practical in the home workshop.
philipy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 pm Steel wheels with Birchwood Casey gun blue on backs & fronts. I did it with the wheels installed and it's difficult to get to the fronts to rub them, but the backs have gone that nice blackish-brownish colour. I think a little smear of oil on the fronts might lose the orangey rust colour.
I think that's real rust on the front of the wheel.

When using a cold blueing process like gun blue, any residual chemical has to be washed off, or it causes the steel to rust. The black oxide formed on the steel is very thin and not very rust resistant, so it will have converted to rust as well.

When I blacken parts I give them a wash with soapy water and an old toothbrush, then dry them with compressed air. I prefer to paint wheels though, so haven't run into this and I guess it isn't easy to wash wheels in situ.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:57 am

Which ever course you take in the colouring of the wheels Keith, you have done a brilliant job on the vans.
Those little extra details work very well....

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks Rod. Building models is a pretty solitary pastime where I live. It's nice to have the ability to share it with others even if it"s just in the internet.

I've finished the brake rigging on the guards van. It's hard to see because it's all black, but there's a Brandbright vacuum cylinder under there as well as the bellcrank and rods connecting the brake shoes to the central shaft. The rods are built up out of wire and card.

and also put some on the box van as well. This one has the flywheel device mounted under it so there isn't space for as much detail as the guards van, but I put an external lever on it from IP engineering and the central shaft in this case supports the flyywheel mechanism on one end. The brake shoes and external lever do a decent job of drawing the eye away from the protruding flywheel housing.
E418C715-995B-4970-9FC8-3F2D8C4B023B.jpeg
E418C715-995B-4970-9FC8-3F2D8C4B023B.jpeg (450.06 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
04D366FD-33A2-4049-BE53-604CF2D5D33F.jpeg
04D366FD-33A2-4049-BE53-604CF2D5D33F.jpeg (442.26 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Haven't decided on how to colour the wheels yet, but I reckon I'll pick up some gun bluing next time I'm down south and give that a whirl.