Peckett Body Build - First Attempt - NOW FINISHED Pictures page 6

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Peckett Body Build - First Attempt

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm

GTB wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:36 pm
-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 pm Managed a little more time today, didn't manage to make much as I had to strip all the lathe down as I had quite a bad wobble going on, it's all tight again now, but unfortunately I think the poor little thing will need replacing at some point with a better quality one, cheap is not always cost effective.
Your parts look OK for someone who claims to be self taught......

What lathe do you have?

I build steam locos on a Seig C2 lathe and an X2 mill without much problem and the lathe has turned over 350 wheels in steel by now. It's a bit slower to make a part than larger lathes, as you can't take very heavy cuts, but once set up the accuracy is adequate for the task. Parting off can be an adventure though if the gibs aren't adjusted right and I don't attempt to part off brass over 1/2" or steel over 1/4". I have a bandsaw and use that for cutting wheel blanks.

I've never had the lathe wobble except when turning large parts mounted off centre in the 4 jaw chuck. Do you mean 'chatter', where the lathe vibrates and screeches, while the tool bounces around so the surface finish has strange patterns? Chatter is often a problem with a mini lathe, as the mounting of the top slide isn't very rigid.

I've got into the habit before I start a new project of going over the lathe cleaning, lubricating and adjusting everything, then sharpen the tools and check the tool holders are at the right height. The variable speed control also helps minimise chatter, as it is speed dependant.

I'm a scientist, not an engineer, so also largely self taught, mostly from books and many years of making small parts on a Unimat SL. ;)

Graeme
Hi Graeme

Most definitely self taught if you can call it taught at all, just more of guess work than anything. I have a few books for beginners for lathes and mills, but to be honest I didn't gain masses from them, a few essentials here and there of course. The lathe came from Amadeal and is one of these, Mini Lathe - 7x14 Machine with 4" Chuck. https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Mini ... html#SID=2

My main issue is not actually knowing exactly how to adjust it properly and it's all been a case of take it apart and have a best guess, yesterday I did just that and to be honest it's a bit too tight in places now. Chatter is the correct word I was looking for but couldn't remember it when I typed my last post. I can part off brass up to 1.5 inches if luck is on my side, but steel, not a chance, maybe my tools are not sharp enough, I can't even cut steel without massive chatter, but then I have no idea how to sharpen the tools and tend to use disposable carbide inserts because of that. I have no one locally to turn to for advice, though my step father knows how to use a lathe and sharpen tools he is 50 miles down the road and even when I ask him he just does it for me, but I am not good at unerstanding just how he did it as to him it's just second nature. It appears you have a great routine going, something which maybe I need to be doing too.

I do have a band saw, well sort of, I have one of these, it lifts up to convert into a band saw with a small platform https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbs45md ... tting-ban/
I hadn't thought about parting larger things off with this, that gives me some food for thought, thank you.

The mill which I have is one of these, again from Amadeal a few years back, but yet again, not much experience with it, just set it up and use it as I best see fit, though I did spend ages finding a 90 degree angle for the head as initially it always cut more side side than the other, but that's all sorted out now.

I am neither a scientist, nor an engineer, just a storage and server person (computers for any that might not know) by trade, though now a full time carer for my wife, hence I don't get long periods of time in the man cave.

I am finding this project both interesting and challenging. I do wish I knew how I should be tackling some of these tasks rather than just making up bits in the first way that pops into my head, I think some professional direction would be seriously useful :lol:
Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Today I managed to get time and parts to attempt to put the cab together, I just never realised that 14ba nuts and bolts were SO small! I managed to drill the 112 x 1mm holes, all on a single drill bit, I was impressed that there were no breakages, a first for everything.

The bolt heads are so small they should look ok when they are sprayed up and just give an illusion of some sort of rivet. I cut the roof and gave it an initial bend, but I still have to solder a couple of insets in there to make it hold it's shape, as well as work out how to mount a couple of magnets on there too. I also cut and bent a bit of metal for inside the cab which will hopefully, eventually look a bit like a firebox, maybe? Still very little is actually attached and most of pictures and just items placed on other items to give me the incentive to spend a good many more hours making fiddly little bits that probably look rather dull and uninteresting, lol :lol:

I am aware the roof requires lots of bending for final fitting and this is pretty much just as it was cut and bent by hand to see how it would look ;)

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Well done with the cab. I imagine getting the holes in the sides aligned with those in the brackets wasn't easy.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:17 pm Well done with the cab. I imagine getting the holes in the sides aligned with those in the brackets wasn't easy.

Rik
Thanks Rik. You are right, those brackets along with the 112 holes required was not easy, it was quite time consuming, however, I think the finished effect should be quite good.

All I can say is this project has been and continues to be challenging, there are parts that I need to make that at the moment I honestly have no idea where to start, but that was true for most of what I have done already. I am aware there are those on here that can do this and much better with their eyes shut and one hand tied around their back, but for me, every part is a first, never done a chimney, let alone in 3 snug fitting parts, never done an imitation safety valve, never even cut brass sheet before let alone made a cab and saddle tank from scratch in brass, thank goodness for tin snips, files and dremel's :lol: :lol: Like yourself, I am happier with plasticard on a normal day. :)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am

Steve, if most have done half of what you have done they would be very happy indeed. You have a lot of natural skill in my mind any way. What you do is very impressive. Think of it this way.
The first person who invented lathes had no idea also on how to operate it and it was all trial and error.

So carry on mate, your'e doing a fine job.... :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am Steve, if most have done half of what you have done they would be very happy indeed. You have a lot of natural skill in my mind any way. What you do is very impressive. Think of it this way.
The first person who invented lathes had no idea also on how to operate it and it was all trial and error.

So carry on mate, your'e doing a fine job.... :thumbright:
Thanks Rod, I really appreciate the kind words, as you say, everyone starts somewhere. I have done other small projects before on the lathe and mill before and I have built scratch build loco's before, but only diesels out of plasticard. This is a whole new level for me and I have to admit, there are a few errors and mistakes along the way, but overall, I am really pleased with how it's looking so far.

I did manage to cut the chassis floor today, bolt and solder some lugs onto it to hold the cab on as well as make a fire box and solder that in too. Bigger jobs now to do are the 4 remaining lugs for the saddle tank, mounting the chassis plate to the chassis and fitting the buffer beams amongst other things. I have made the buffer beams but I am not sure whether to round in the bottom corners as I quite like that look on buffer beams even though I know it's not in keeping with the more original look.

If you look at picture 1, you can see a hole in the chassis floor under the fire box where the electrics will go through, however, you will also notice the accidental hole I cut into the chassis in the wrong place, and then had to make a plug for it and sand it back in, whoops! :oops: The plug can be seen in all 3 pictures, but picture 2 makes it look worse than it actually is, I think picture 3 is more true to life of the mistake and cover up. It should not be easy to notice ones the saddle tank and other bits are in place as it should be fairly well hidden.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 am

We make mistakes Steve, you have done a good job of covering it up and has you say, it won't be noticeable when finished.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

-steves- wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm I do have a band saw, well sort of, I have one of these, it lifts up to convert into a band saw with a small platform.

I am finding this project both interesting and challenging. I do wish I knew how I should be tackling some of these tasks rather than just making up bits in the first way that pops into my head, I think some professional direction would be seriously useful :lol:
Yes, that's a bandsaw. Metal cutting bandsaws usually work horizontally, wood working ones are vertical. The vertical cutting table that comes with the chinese metal bandsaws is a pain to fit and setup, but good enough for roughing out frame blanks if you clamp a strip of wood down on the table to act as a fence. For any other job I use it horizontally.

When cutting wheel blanks I use it horizontally, by clamping the bar in the vice and setting up the adjustable stop to churn out a batch of blanks. Cutting 1 1/4" round bar is as exciting as watching grass grow, but faster and a lot less effort than using a hacksaw. I was lucky and got a good one, so it also cuts squarer than I can.......

There's no single right way to machine a part, just that some ways of doing things are easier and/or faster.

Some of LBSC's writings can be useful in our scale, eg the 'Tich' series, or the book. There are also Gauge 1 models, as well as the odd O gauge model. He usually assumes you know basic machine operation, but often sets out a method for making a specific part. The Tich articles are available online, but you'd have to track down the book which is long out of print.

Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm

GTB wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm
Yes, that's a bandsaw. Metal cutting bandsaws usually work horizontally, wood working ones are vertical. The vertical cutting table that comes with the chinese metal bandsaws is a pain to fit and setup, but good enough for roughing out frame blanks if you clamp a strip of wood down on the table to act as a fence. For any other job I use it horizontally.

When cutting wheel blanks I use it horizontally, by clamping the bar in the vice and setting up the adjustable stop to churn out a batch of blanks. Cutting 1 1/4" round bar is as exciting as watching grass grow, but faster and a lot less effort than using a hacksaw. I was lucky and got a good one, so it also cuts squarer than I can.......

There's no single right way to machine a part, just that some ways of doing things are easier and/or faster.

Some of LBSC's writings can be useful in our scale, eg the 'Tich' series, or the book. There are also Gauge 1 models, as well as the odd O gauge model. He usually assumes you know basic machine operation, but often sets out a method for making a specific part. The Tich articles are available online, but you'd have to track down the book which is long out of print.

Graeme
I know what you mean about cutting blanks, I have cut through various mild steel bars and it just takes forever, I just leave it running in the background and do something else until it's finished.

Indeed, and the easier and faster, maybe even safer ways are something I would love to learn properly. It's at times like this I wish I have taken up metalwork at school all those years ago :lol:

I can't find any trace of those books for sale, well not at sensible prices and I am not paying nearly £200 for it. If there is anything still in production that you think may help then by all means let me know, though maybe I should be looking through YouTube videos for some guidance too,

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 pm

A bit more time over the last couple of days and I have managed to sort out the cab and saddle tank mountings to the chassis plate, although I might solder the chassis side of things to stop them moving on the bolts. I have made a firebox door and added a hinge and handle, also added the hinge to the smoke box door. Neither are properly held on and are in place with bluetac just to see how they will look. I have made the appropriate holes for the wiring and ensured it all routes through as planned, which is does and I have attached the ESC and tried out the motor.

Still got LOADS to do like make a gauge glass, some dials, some handles, add a charge jack, find somewhere to mount a switch, work out exactly what to do with the roof fixing and of course make a load of little bits that go under the saddle tank so it looks like it has springs and gear under there. Doesn't sound much to write it, but to make and and work out how to make it, well, quite a bit of work.

The thumb is in the picture to give you an idea of the size of the work being undertaken. :D

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm

It would be too much to expect a first attempt to achieve perfection but you have managed to make a well designed and constructed loco, as well as learning a great deal on the way. Remember that the paint and finishing will add to the overall presentation which will also help you feel proud of your work. I can see this will be the first of many.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 am

-steves- wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm Indeed, and the easier and faster, maybe even safer ways are something I would love to learn properly. It's at times like this I wish I have taken up metalwork at school all those years ago :lol:

I can't find any trace of those books for sale, well not at sensible prices and I am not paying nearly £200 for it. If there is anything still in production that you think may help then by all means let me know, though maybe I should be looking through YouTube videos for some guidance too,
The loco is coming along nicely. You are progressing pretty fast for someone that has limited time in the workshop..... :shock:

My secondary school didn't teach metalwork in my time, but both my brothers went to the same school some years later and were able to do the class....... :roll:

There are bookshops (especially in the US) that think any greasy old model engineering book must be worth it's weight in platinum. I usually search on ABE books for this sort of book and there are a couple at about 20 quid on there at present.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... &sortby=93

There are scans of some LBSC magazine article series online here, if the lawyers haven't shut him down. Might be worth reading them before spending cash, as you may not find them as useful as I do.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/LBSCEngines.html

The best books on building miniature steam locos that I've read are those by Kozo Hiraoka, but they aren't cheap. Camden sell them in the UK. https://www.camdenmin.co.uk

I'm not a Youtube fan, but you could try Frank Hoose's clips, which are mini lathe and mini mill specific. He also runs the Mini-Lathe.com website which I found useful when I bought my lathe and mill. http://www.mini-lathe.com/Home/

There's also a stack of Youtube clips on workshop practice under the username mrpete222, but more related to larger machines.

Youtube's search algorithm can come up with some strange recommendations, but over time sort of homes in on what you are interested in watching.

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am

I'll echo Peter and Graeme's comments. All things considered, your progress is impressive in terms of both quantity and quality. Those doors (smokebox and firebox) look really neat.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Rik & Peter, thank you so much, it's good fun and to be fair it is better than I initially anticipated. I am not sure what I was expecting, maybe something that would end up in the bin and I would know not to try it again.

Graeme, thank you for all the links, I will be having a look shortly at them all and seeing what's about.

Today, a bit more trial and error.

I made a lever, a gauge glass (obviously a fake one) and tried to make a spring hanger, not all that well though on the latter. The roof vent is not finished and is just put in place to see how it might look.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:10 pm

A bit more done today.

I think it was Tom who said to do the roof on magnets, what a great idea that has turned out to be, so easy and works like a charm, thank you :)

Managed to get a few little bits done, the front of the smoke box door, the fake reversing gear all done, a regulator handle and a couple of steps.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am

Well I think that's all the parts made now, some final fettling will be required, but we are getting there :)

I am thinking of doing it plain black, with brass a chimney top and brass spectacles. I am very open to ideas on paint at this stage as I have no idea what will look best, do you have any thoughts, if so, please do post up and let me know.

I looked at all the parts I had made so far and thought, do you know, if I got that lot in a fittings kit with a loco, I would be quite pleased with them. One or two mishaps along the way, one or two short cuts along the way but still much better than I originally had hoped for.

In the pictures not much is actually in place as most of it will be sprayed first and the finished from there, so don't worry about things not being central or lined up, they are not fixed. The final result prior to paint has been quite pleasing for me and I hope paint wise I do it justice.

I am going to cheat and actually buy the springs for the loco as I found them too difficult to make in the way I tried, maybe there are easier ways, but I don't know them, lol :lol:

Any further updates may now be some time off as paint takes me ages to do which is down to the drying time I give between coats, reliance on dry wind free weather and the fact I only ever spray a few bits at a time due to a lack of space to hang them to dry. I am also quite busy over the next few days and won't be at home much due to family commitments and appointments.

I do hope you have enjoyed my journey thus far :thumbup:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

Steve can I just say that you have done an excellent job with your loco.
For a first attempt it's absolutely brilliant, the amount of detail and skill put into it is first class.. :thumbright:

Black would be an excellent choice my friend.. Matt preferably.....

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am Steve can I just say that you have done an excellent job with your loco.
For a first attempt it's absolutely brilliant, the amount of detail and skill put into it is first class.. :thumbright:

Black would be an excellent choice my friend.. Matt preferably.....
Thank you Rod, very kind words indeed. Comments like that certainly make me proud of my work as others see it from a different perspective to me, I just see the gaps, errors, scratches, things that a millimeter out and things like that, the bits I wish I had done better. It's great to hear it from an unbiased point of view.

I have added some hand rails (from Roundhouse) and some springs (from GRS) and everything is pretty much in its place now, all be it, not bolted or glued down until after paint. I am thinking of adding a shelf inside the cab, some gauges in the cab and some rivet detailing on the buffer beams, I guess a job is never finished, :lol:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am I am thinking of doing it plain black, with brass a chimney top and brass spectacles. I am very open to ideas on paint at this stage as I have no idea what will look best, do you have any thoughts, if so, please do post up and let me know.
That has come up very nicely and there is really nothing that suggests it is a first attempt. I know I wouldn't have gotten it to that stage so quickly.

In terms of colour, black would match the diesel in your avatar....... ;)

If you are limited to whatever paint colours you can get in a spray can then weathered satin black like your diesel would look like a hard working, but well maintained loco.

If you use an airbrush then the world is your oyster and you can mix your own colours. I paint my black steam locos in four shades of black, in varying degrees of satin finish. The most recent example being this one.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11815

Regards,
Graeme

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Wow. I’ve had enough problems attempting some of this stuff in plastic, let alone bleedin’ metalwork. Terrific.

(First kit I attempted was the easy-to-build, GRS plasticard version of a Peckett like this and even that just about drove me insane)