Radio Controlled Quarry Hunslet

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Radio Controlled Quarry Hunslet

Post by steveh99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I am currently building a Slaters quarry hunslet kit and I would like to radio control it with batteries rather than use track power?
Has anyone done this and what did you use? I think I can get a combined receiver/speed controller inside the boiler but batteries are more of a problem
I think it has a 12volt motor and although it does not draw a lot of current (around 50mA i think) it does require at least 9v to get reasonable speed and hauling capacity. 8 x AA or AAA are quite large, rechargeables are only 1.2v so 10 would be even bigger. I am thinking the only solution is a battery wagon behind the loco. Any other alternatives?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Radio Controlled Quarry Hunslet

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:31 pm

steveh99 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:22 pm ...... I think it has a 12volt motor and although it does not draw a lot of current (around 50mA i think) it does require at least 9v to get reasonable speed and hauling capacity. 8 x AA or AAA are quite large, rechargeables are only 1.2v so 10 would be even bigger. I am thinking the only solution is a battery wagon behind the loco. Any other alternatives?
Three li-ion batteries would give you nominally 11.1v; two would give you 7.4v. You can get them in AA size (14500) but you would need to use a protection board (less than £5) to ensure they did not over-discharge - unless you're using a Deltang rx which has built in protection against li-ion over-discharge.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steveh99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm

I didn't realise I could get 3.7v from an AA sized battery. I could get three in the boiler tube depending on the size of the Rx/ESC I am thinking of using a deltang so need to check the sizes. The boiler tube is 30mm diameter and 90mm long.

An alternative might be to put a constant 12v on the track and still use an Rx/ESC in the loco but add a small 12v sized camera battery in series with a diode to prevent it getting charged from the track but allow it to keep alive the 12v to the ESC in the event of intermittent track pick up

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I get mine from Ecolux. https://www.ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/by-s ... k/flat-top

Getting them from eBay can be risky as you can't be sure of the quality. If you want solder tags attached, ask Norb when you place the order. He'll add them for free.

Rik
------------------------

steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steveh99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Thank you for the replies Rik

That's useful as I never buy anything from ebay

More investigation required as to what will fit, it's a very small loco

PH the Steam
New User
New User

Post by PH the Steam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi

I've nearly finished my build of the Slaters Quarry Hunslet kit, with onboard R/C, it's functional, but stripped for painting and adding final details at the moment.

Although the project is only just nearing completion, I started the project some time ago and R/C systems have moved on since the parts were acquired, I used:

2.4GHz reciver (between frames under smokebox)
Timpdon Electronics speed controller (provides voltage step down to power reciver), approx 100x20x10mm, (in void carved in saddle tank (top of boiler cut off under saddle tank))
10 off 1.2v NiMh 4/5AA batteries (1350mAh) (9 in boiler (with extra length carved out of smoke and fire boxes) and one between frames under smokebox).
12V motor supplied

The fuse is in coal bunker, DPDT switch in drivers bunker, and charging lead under firebox.

It is all a very tight fit and I have had to make a few modifications to make space, and to make it modular so the electronics can be worked on. On tests before final details and paint were added it would run at about a scale 10 m.p.h max (bit slow) but fast enough.

One important thing to note is that the kit can be built with either rigid frame or 3-point suspension rocking on the lead axle. However I found that with all the extra weight I'd added the lead axle wore 1/3rd of the way through the pivot bar after only one test session (1 battery charge), therefore I've attached push rods to the front bearings (which are pivoted on the pivot bar) so the bearings take the weight. I'd recommend avoiding all this and building the chassis rigid. It is also worth noting that this kit isn't suitable for (not intended/designed for) recovering dead steam locos or heavy haulage, it's too lightly constructed, but as a detailed model for hauling a few light wagons.

I did consider LiPo and LiFe batteries, but the size/shape formats for them all just didn't work out with the shape of the space available/created and I wasn't sure about connecting balance leads etc. Also LiPo could be potentially volatile and didn't want to have to remove the batteries for charging. With LiFe 14500, they are too long to get 3 in a row down the boiler and tend to be 14.5-15mm in diameter rather than 14-14.1mm for the 4/5AA so might not fit side by side in the boiler. Also LiFe weren't as common then.

My solution does work, and other solutions with different battery configurations and more modern R/C equipment (integrated Rx/speed controller (saves space)) should work. Also substituting a lower voltage motor would be an option, although I wasn't sure of the correct combination which would work with the gearbox supplied to give the correct speed/torque characteristics.

I hope this post has been helpful. If it is of interest I could post pictures of my build?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 pm

Post away with photos please.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:18 am

PH the Steam wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:01 pm
I hope this post has been helpful. If it is of interest I could post pictures of my build?
Really interesting, thanks. Surprised there's space for 9 x AAs in there. Bigger than they look. Love to see pictures.

Rik
------------------------

PH the Steam
New User
New User

Post by PH the Steam » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:23 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:18 am
Really interesting, thanks. Surprised there's space for 9 x AAs in there. Bigger than they look. Love to see pictures.
Not quite, I've used 9 x 4/5AA in the boiler, as in 4/5ths AA, so 40mm long each instead of 50mm. There's just about enough room for 3 end to end (3 columns of 3 in a triangle inside boiler) with about 5mm of resin left in the hollowed out smokebox and firebox castings at each end.

Just need to clear space to set up to take pictures now....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry - missed the significance of 4/5AA. Makes more sense now.

Rik
------------------------

PH the Steam
New User
New User

Post by PH the Steam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am

The pictures:

General overview of R/C components:

Top, speed controller (leads for reciver power and throttle channel to left, terminals for battery input and motor output to right)
Middle, Battery pack and wiring (l to r: 10th battery, 3*3 batteries, fuse holder and DPDT switch, wires to speed controller, charging lead with Servo type connector)
Left, Receiver (white box, replaced original folded film box with styrene stepped box (to fit through front frame stretcher))
Far left, back of smoke-box casting (originally solid)
Far right, back of fire-box casting (originally solid)
Bottom, loco frames (hole in front (left of image) for 10th battery and receiver wires to be threaded through smoke-box and frames, hole in rear footplate (right) for motor and charging wires).
DSC_1013.JPG
DSC_1013.JPG (480.39 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Overview of components in place (without boiler and tank):
Top left, inverted saddle tank showing void carved for speed controller
Top right, boiler barrel with top section removed to connect space in boiler and tank for speed controller.
DSC_1015.JPG
DSC_1015.JPG (482.81 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Left side:
DSC_1016.JPG
DSC_1016.JPG (480.49 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Right side (reach rod and reverser stand had to be cut back to allow the switch to be threaded into position):
DSC_1017.JPG
DSC_1017.JPG (484.53 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
NOTE: Fuse holder and DPDT switch sit in bunkers.

Hole cut in front frame stretcher for 10th battery and receiver (seen from rear):
DSC_1022.JPG
DSC_1022.JPG (409.53 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Underside of frames with 10th battery and reciver:
DSC_1019.JPG
DSC_1019.JPG (484 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Closeup of modified fire-box and smoke-box (NOTE passages cut in underside of fire-box to allow wires to pass to bunkers (all wires pass through boiler, smoke-box and fire-box)):
DSC_1024.JPG
DSC_1024.JPG (483.61 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Work in progress (disclaimer; no R/C components fitted for these pictures, getting all the wires and components to lie correctly for it all to fit takes a bit of poking and fiddling around):
DSC_1025.JPG
DSC_1025.JPG (399.8 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
DSC_1026.JPG
DSC_1026.JPG (486.24 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Current state is that nearly all the base colour is done, just (JUST!!!!) painted details to add then weathering and overcoat of satin to tie it all together visually (currently too blocky and shiny).

steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steveh99 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Wow, well done you. I think this is a bit beyond my capabilities, especially carving out the resin, so still looking at other options.

I think my speed controller and receiver are smaller and can fit in various places under the floor, in the coal bunker or in the boiler tube. I want to be able to gain access to these in the future without dismantling the loco too much

The big problem is the batteries and the need for 12v, or at least 9v

As I have a continous circuit layout that does not require the loco to uncouple or run round, option 1 is to use a battery wagon, either a gunpowder van, a small box van or even a quarrymans coach. The interconnecting wires can be very small and painted matt black. Option 2 is to use track power with a 'keep alive' backup system in the loco, probably a small 12v camera battery with a diode or bridge to stop it being charged by the track. Option 3 is to find small enough batteries to fit the loco. It has a coreless motor that only requires around 50mA for normal running so a small rechargeable 3 cell lithium or PP3 might do the job but I will need to test average running time.

Thanks for posting the pictures and your comments. Very interesting and informative.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:01 pm

If you were looking for a wagon to have as a battery truck I believe some of the quarry hunslets ran with a slate wagon fitted with a water tank as a form of tender.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:31 am

Excellent project!

I just noticed the reverser. I hadn't been able to see a Quarry Hunslet reverser before. It looks like a screw type. I wonder why
Best wishes,
Dave

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 pm

dewintondave wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:31 am Excellent project!

I just noticed the reverser. I hadn't been able to see a Quarry Hunslet reverser before. It looks like a screw type. I wonder why
The reverser looks to be on a quadrant in the pictures I can see. Perhaps PH or others familiar with the Quarry Hunslets can clarify?
Ian

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Definitely a quadrant, but I've fallen at the hurdle of uploading a pic!!
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Somewhat belatedly, pic of reverser quadrant on Jonathan (ne Bernstein).
West Lancs Lt Rly, 2000.
[attachment=0]WLLR00-004.jpg[/attachment]

It appears my problem with pics was down to Firefox.
Using Chrome, it works.
Attachments
WLLR00-004.jpg
WLLR00-004.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 am

Lovely little fellow, dwarfed by the brake stand :thumbright:
Best wishes,
Dave