(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by IanC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:11 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm Nothing wrong with Poundland primer... I use it extensively and it is good..... especially for a pound.
I use it too, although the cans are a bit smaller content that a Halfrauds one and the Poundland stuff seems to come in 2 different shades of grey and there is nothing on the cans to distinguish it.
I must give the poundland stuff a try. Sounds like a bargain, even if shades differ.
Ian

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm I spent this morning having a go at making a slate load for one of my new wagons.
The load looks quite convincing and blends well with the wagon. The texture and colours of the slates at the side of the load really do look like miniature slates.

The weathering on the slate wagons has really brought out the neatness of the wagon construction as well.

Which reminds me..... This is one of those times I'm thankful I don't model a slate quarry. 8)

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

Brilliant job on the slates Andrew…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

I threw all my foam board away when we moved, mainly because I don’t have the room now in our new place….. :cussing: :cussing:

I will have to come up with something else for mine.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:10 am

https://www.16mm.org.uk/2018/09/01/sept ... te-wagons/ if anyone is interested in making Andrew's waggons...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 am

That was quick, I only sent it to Richard yesterday! Having undertaken to write something for on here I thought it might be an opportunity to promote the forum a little so submitted it for the 16mm website instead. Don't tell anyone, but that last picture's a fake - there's no engine on the front of that train, but there is the nozzle of a steam cleaner hidden in the tunnel!

I notice you've gone for the proper Ffestiniog double "g" spelling of wagon/waggon JMORG - I opted for 1 in the article, but gave the Ffestiniog a double "f", which it probably shouldn't have if I'm referring to it by title, particularly in a 1920s context!

Hope the article's useful to anyone who's interested,

Andrew

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 am

Andrew wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 am
Hope the article's useful to anyone who's interested,
I have no specific interest in slate wag(g)on's but the article is really good. Well done and thanks.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 am

Nice plug at the end for the forum :thumbup:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am

Hello all,

With an extended period off over Christmas I'd hoped to get plenty of modelling done. Alas, life got in the way and that didn't come to pass, but I did make a little progress with the storage of my stock. For the last three years the (WH)WHR carriage fleet has resided in a stack of old wooden storage crates which have doubled as my bedside table. Understandably, even though the crates in question possess a certain vintage charm, my wife has never been entirely sure of the suitability of this arrangement... Fortunately, the Asda post-Christmas sale included lidded storage boxes just the right size to take two WHR bogie carriages (or a selection of shorter vehicles), and for just three pounds. I purchased eight, and filled the first four yesterday evening:

Stock boxes.jpg
Stock boxes.jpg (281.1 KiB) Viewed 5720 times

The carriages are kept secure and protected by bits of an old foam bedroll, the curve of which gives a little spring and helps hold it in place. These four boxes are now in the storage area under the house, where I hope they will be safe and well - I may purchase some of those little silicon sachets to help keep them dry...

Ideally, of course, I'd like a nice big shed where the stock can stay on the track all the time, but I'm hoping this will do the trick - the plastic boxes are certainly a lot more portable than their wooden predecessors... When I've made a little more space I'll box up the wagon fleet too - the MOTTLITTs can come in from the cold!

Cheers,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I've seen something similar at IKEA. Not sure of the price or sizes as I didn't have time to investigate. It's on my doorstep so I'll be calling back in to check them out as a lot of my stock is in containers of various sizes shapes and material. I'm sure they'll work out well.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am

Nice a neat them Andrew. When Anne and I go shopping at Aldi and the like, I have always looking for anything that will be of use....Anne says I do buy some rubbish sometimes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

At our old address I had a 10x8 shed and it was ideal for keeping my stock in. Unfortunately I don't have one here.... :cry: :cry:

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am

Nice cheap solution Andrew.
Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am The carriages are kept secure and protected by bits of an old foam bedroll,
I'd be a wary of using old foamed rubber. I've had problems in the past where it breaks down and sticks to painted surfaces when in direct contact. Yours may be differnt actual material of course but I'd suggest putting a simple wrapper of old fabric ( cotton if poss) around the rubber.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am

philipy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am I'd be a wary of using old foamed rubber.
No idea what type of foam is used for bedroll, but like Philip I've had problems over the years with the common polyurethane foam, which can break down and damage models. The foam can etch into both paint and plastic as it disintegrates.

I store my wagons wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and stacked in storage cubes. Bubble wrap is polyethylene and doesn't break down like foam. It's also less likely to catch on and damage small parts. I've never had to buy any, as a lot of stuff arrives wrapped in it.

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. The bed roll (actually I think it's a yoga mat...) has a plastic-y finish on one side, but the other is some sort of foam. although I've had it a while, it's never been unwrapped or exposed to UV (which I guess might speed its degrading?) and seems in excellent repair at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it and will gradually replace with better material as you suggest...

All the best,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 pm

I should not worry about wagon grey, which is what I usually use grey primer for, being different shades. The Great Southern's colour ran anywhere from quite pale through to slate grey depending on how old it was, and the Isle of Man Railway had the '40 shades of grey' routine down to a science, though officially, their freight stock was supposed to the light grey. In later years I suspected it was a case of what they had to hand/what they could get hold of.

Peter in VA
IanC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:11 pm
philipy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm Nothing wrong with Poundland primer... I use it extensively and it is good..... especially for a pound.
I use it too, although the cans are a bit smaller content that a Halfrauds one and the Poundland stuff seems to come in 2 different shades of grey and there is nothing on the cans to distinguish it.
I must give the poundland stuff a try. Sounds like a bargain, even if shades differ.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Good afternoon!

A little free time this morning saw me out in the garden with the simplest of trains - a battery loco and three Big Big train tippers:

Tipper test 1.jpg
Tipper test 1.jpg (416.22 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

Tipper testing 2.jpg
Tipper testing 2.jpg (450.8 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

Apart from just being a nice way to spend 10 minutes, the purpose of the run was to test how well the wagons run, and whether the hi-tech coupling modifications (replacing the plastic hook with a bent bit of coat-hanger!) work OK. All went well, on the whole. As expected, they'd benefit from a little weight, so I think they'll run with weighted loads most of the time - I'd originally planned to conceal pockets of lead shot around the frames, until I went to a fishing tackle shop and discovered how much the stuff costs! And the couplings were fine, but required the use of one of the slots on the loco's multi-height coupling, indicating that they wouldn't like to run behind a loco with standard couplings. With that in mind I'll probably make a further modification to a pair of wagons to go act as coupling converters at each end of the intended rake of nine.

I've been slowly collecting these little wagons over several years but didn't want to make the modifications to the couplings until I knew it worked well, in case I decided to re-sell them. Test concluded successfully I got chopping (or unscrewing, depending on the vintage of the wagon):
Tippers sans couplings.jpg
Tippers sans couplings.jpg (289.17 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

And, now they're a little shorter, they'll fit neatly into this box file! You can see why I want 9 of 'em! If anyone's got a spare they'd like to part with, drop me a line! They'll go into store now, and the project will proceed on an "as and when" basis between other things...

Cheers,

Andrew.
Attachments
Tippers in box.jpg
Tippers in box.jpg (272.64 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 pm

GTB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am
philipy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am I'd be a wary of using old foamed rubber.
No idea what type of foam is used for bedroll, but like Philip I've had problems over the years with the common polyurethane foam, which can break down and damage models. The foam can etch into both paint and plastic as it disintegrates.

I store my wagons wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and stacked in storage cubes. Bubble wrap is polyethylene and doesn't break down like foam. It's also less likely to catch on and damage small parts. I've never had to buy any, as a lot of stuff arrives wrapped in it.

Regards,
Graeme
There is a report on here about bubble wrap attacking paintwork. JMORG reported problems with bubble wrap and Halfords paint. Here's the link to the page.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9751
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Eeek! Although I'm guessing that was a problem with the paint going soft, rather than the bubblewrap itself - if the paint softens I guess anything an item of rolling stock's wrapped in will leave a mark...

Thanks for the info - more thought for thought...

I may investigate cyrogenic technology for the safe storage of rolling stock - I'll keep you posted!

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Can you not put up some shelves?

I have made various sized shelves and brackets from scrap pieces of wood and I am no carpenter :mrgreen:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

I've already taken over too many of the house's shelves!

I'm trying to get stuff out of the house and into the storage area underneath it, but that's a little dusty and unpleasant, so although it's fully shelved under there (with some real heavy duty stuff that was being ditched at work) the carriages in particular need to be better protected, hence the boxes. Or the cryogenics, depending which option I go for...

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:13 pm Eeek! Although I'm guessing that was a problem with the paint going soft, rather than the bubblewrap itself - if the paint softens I guess anything an item of rolling stock's wrapped in will leave a mark...

Thanks for the info - more thought for thought...

I may investigate cyrogenic technology for the safe storage of rolling stock - I'll keep you posted!

Andrew.
I would suspect it is a paint problem. Perhaps I should confess that I store my goods rolling stock (not my locos) wrapped in bubble wrap and haven't experienced any issues. I have used cheap acrylic paint which leads me to conclude it was a paint issue.
Ian