Bridges of the Sandstone & Termite

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Bridges of the Sandstone & Termite

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 am

The shirt still fits even after 21 years Greg. And not a lot of fading also, make them to last in Australiaโ€ฆ. ;)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am

It's a boomerang shirt Rod, Greg has thrown it away countless times, but it keeps on coming back!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 pm

FWLR wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 am The shirt still fits even after 21 years Greg. And not a lot of fading also, make them to last in Australiaโ€ฆ. ;)
The shirt has been relegated to painting duty only.
The tag is so faded I can't read where it was made. Possibly is was made in Oz 20 yrs ago, but these days nothing is made here. We just dig up iron ore, coal and gas, ship it out and continue to live in a fools paradise. Ooops, way off topic.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am

Peter Butler wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am It's a boomerang shirt Rod, Greg has thrown it away countless times, but it keeps on coming back!
Very good Peter.:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:30 am

Episode 3

Now we get to the bridge that I am most proud of:
1- Viaduct16.jpg
1- Viaduct16.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
Itโ€™s a โ€˜stoneโ€™ viaduct, with 11 arches, carved from Hebel lightweight concrete. Hebel comes in 24โ€ x 8โ€ x 8โ€ blocks (Oops, Iโ€™ve slipped into Imperial). So obviously, each arch piece could be no more than 24โ€. I was able to use 1.75m radius for the track. But because I needed a width of 180mm for the track plus vehicle overhang, I could only make each arch segment 450mm long. The 150mm cut off the end was used for the piers. As shown below, I had to cut a small triangular piece off each end and then cut the 1.5m radius curve in the inside and outside of the curve.
2-cut hebel.jpg
2-cut hebel.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

Then I didnโ€™t have enough โ€˜depthโ€™ in the 200mm high block to use a circular arch, so I used an elliptical one. And the โ€˜radiusโ€™ of the ellipse is different for the front and back of the arch, and also from the arches on the straight portions. Suitable templates made it easier.
3- viad2a.jpg
3- viad2a.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
Having marked out the arches, I used a long 1/4โ€ masonary drill to drill many holes around the markings from back and front at the correct angle! and then gently use a saw to cut right through. Then an angle grinder and rasp, to smooth the arch out. My backyard was covered in white dust when I had finished. Make sure you wear a mask! Then it was just BORING scribbing the stone.
I used โ€˜properโ€™ (expensive) Hebel cement to glue the arches and piers together and used the semi-circular hunks from the removed arch as buried foundations. Waste not, want not. The parapets are cut separately and hebel-glued on. Having finished all that, I found I had created a perfect Roman Aqueduct - it held water nicely. So I had to drill oblique holes from the track bed out the side to let the water out.
4-viaduct drain.JPG
4-viaduct drain.JPG (274.02 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

The Hebel is coloured using various cement oxides mixed in water and brushed on.
I then put down some ballast in the โ€˜channelโ€™ and laid the track. The parapet is low enough that most vehicles with large overhang are higher than it anyhow.

After a few years, every arch had cracked. There is only about 3cm thickness from the top of the arch, but interestingly, the cracks never appeared at the thinnest, top of the arch โ€“ always a bit away. Like this:
5-viaductcrack2.JPG
5-viaductcrack2.JPG (140.55 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

It hasnโ€™t affected the strength at all (itโ€™s still standing!). I can only assume I should have used more solid foundations. Anyhow, to add some detail to the scene, I added some work scaffold at this worst cracking. The scaffolding is bamboo skewers and heat-shrink tubing.
6-scaffold.JPG
6-scaffold.JPG (465.77 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

One last picture, (because Iโ€™m proud of it, and itโ€™s coming up to its 20th birthday.)
7-viaduct11.jpg
7-viaduct11.jpg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

Just as an aside here. This pic shows how I surveyed my yard for constructing the GR. I put pegs in the ground at 2m grid and measured their heights from a datum using just a spirit level, a 2m length of wood and lots of pieces of wood of different thickness. The highest point of my track, which is inside my train room, is the datum ,so all heights show as negative. The pic shows less than a quarter of my yard.
oleanderplan.jpg
oleanderplan.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 am

I would be very proud of that Viaduct Greg. And so you should be too. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Itโ€™s brilliant and nearly 20 years old now too, wow. They way you have worked out your angles and applied them to the arch and the columns is brilliant.

The scaffolding is truly inspired, never thought of putting heat-shrink on skewersโ€ฆ

A truly superb Viaduct and worthy of the highest praiseโ€ฆโ€ฆ :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks Greg, absolutely wonderful. I do love the way the water has marked the face as it drains down from the weep holes.
I can sympathise regarding your dust, even my single arch bridge has generated dust that simply won't go away no matter how much I dampen, brush and sweep!
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:26 am

That's a truly inspiring viaduct Greg, and I can't help but admire your patience in constructing it so diligently. Excellent modelling 8)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am

Love the scaffolding!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am

Greg, Just thinking, shouldn't you have some speed restriction notices around that crack & hump? :roll: :lol:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:07 pm

The viaduct is a superb piece of engineering and you have every reason to be proud of it, congratulations. As others have said, the scaffold is also inspiring and I am about to continue to build my ruined castle which I started years ago and then became sidetracked. The scaffold will enable me to show collapsed walls undergoing some consolidation. I can have site offices for the builders, and supplies of materials on site to complete the picture. You have inspired me, although it will be several months until the weather improves enough for anything to take shape..... thanks Greg!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Another great installment, Greg. Your viaduct is truly impressive. I especially like the way you have capitalised on cracks in the structure with the scaffolding. Nice touch.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I can only agree with all the comments made. Superb stuff Greg. Absolutely superb.
Ian

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am

MANY thanks to everyone for their nice comments. I really appreciate them.
philipy wrote: โ†‘Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am Greg, Just thinking, shouldn't you have some speed restriction notices around that crack & hump? :roll: :lol:
Absolutely there should be speed restrictions! I'll see to it!
I have had ideas for a long time now that the site should have a track work gang with an animated figure who moves off the track and waves a flag, detonator sounds as a train approaches etc. But that will need infrared train detectors etc.

Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
Greg from downunder.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:59 am

gregh wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am MANY thanks to everyone for their nice comments. I really appreciate them.

I have had ideas for a long time now that the site should have a track work gang with an animated figure who moves off the track and waves a flag, detonator sounds as a train approaches etc. But that will need infrared train detectors etc.

Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
Not just at the moment Gregโ€ฆ..Let me thinkโ€ฆ :idea: :idea: sโ€ฆ :) :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am

gregh wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
A hoist or crane for materials, a cement mixer, a smith welding steel bracing....?

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am

ge_rik wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)
Rik
Gee, thanks Rik.

Wandering off topic, the suggestion for a speed restriction got me thinking about warning boards. My line is supposed to be in the 1950s and I wonder what kind of signs they used then and were they lit at all? Would they have used kerosene lamps like this? White or red lens?
old road warning lamp.jpg
old road warning lamp.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 7292 times
Greg from downunder.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 am

In the UK in the 1950s, a yellow (green prior to 1949) arrow sign <==< sign about the size of a distant arm with two yellow oil lights placed at braking distance, then a 'C' lollipop board at the Commencement of the restriction, and an 'T' lollipop board at its Terminus. The only help on speed in those days was a number under the arrow sign saying something like '15' giving the speed through the PW restriction which I think was an LMR refinement inherited from the old LNWR. This was replace by the ubiquitous illuminated blue sign c.1970 with a speed limit when reliable battery lamps became available, though the warning at braking distance remains the yellow arrow sign, these days with two white lamps.

Interestingly, although things have moved on in the UK, the Isle of Man Railway - which is what I know best - still uses the old C and T convention with all PW slacks being regarded at 10 mph.

Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 am

gregh wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am
ge_rik wrote: โ†‘Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)
Rik
Gee, thanks Rik.

Wandering off topic, the suggestion for a speed restriction got me thinking about warning boards. My line is supposed to be in the 1950s and I wonder what kind of signs they used then and were they lit at all? Would they have used kerosene lamps like this? White or red lens?
old road warning lamp.jpg
That picture looks like a British "road menders lamp", i.e the kind they used as warnings around holes in the road back in the 40's, 50's and 60's before the advent of battery powered lamps. No reason why a NG line shouldn't have acquired them, off the shelf, for a similar purpose, of course.
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 am

philipy wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 am That picture looks like a British "road menders lamp", i.e the kind they used as warnings around holes in the road back in the 40's, 50's and 60's before the advent of battery powered lamps. No reason why a NG line shouldn't have acquired them, off the shelf, for a similar purpose, of course.
That's what I remember them from - roads. And your 'rationalisation' for their use sounds good to me.
Thanks Irish Peter for the idea of yellow lamp - I guess red would really mean Stop. This is the sign I'll use.
Not sure where to put the lamp yet.
10 speed warning sign.jpg
10 speed warning sign.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
Greg from downunder.