Cold Cure Required

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Post Reply
Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Cold Cure Required

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 am

I have gone down with a dose of the dreaded Lurgi. Coughing, sneezing, shivering, off my grub and I can't face a cup of tea. I have been living on Lemsip and Bovril for the last two days.

This has meant that I have been able to spend a bit of time reading. One of these books is a collection of accounts of the doings of various eccentric Clergy (Yes Teddy Boston is in it). One account about a Cornish Rector mentioned how he had cured a severe cold that had laid low a young choirboy by giving the lad a large glass of gin and then throwing him in the mill pond, apparently it worked.

When I was a nipper, at the first sign of a cold, I was dragged off to the nearest set of roadworks to have a good sniff of the tar boiler, apparently this was supposed to clear out the tubes. I cannot remember if it did or not.

Do any members of the forum have any unusual ideas I might like to try in order to rid myself of this damn cold? I really don't fancy downing a pint of gin and then jumping in the canal.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Cold Cure Required.

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am

Don’t need a pint of Gin Jim, sorry about that… :roll:

A hot Toddy of Whiskey, lemonade and honey works wonders for me. My Dad sweared by it and he didn’t really get any heavy colds, I never saw him sneeze once after having his Toddies……
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Cold Cure Required.

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 am

He may have needed two or three mind you…. :lol: :lol:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Chairman
Chairman
Posts: 4172
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am

Honey and lemon normally sorts me out.

Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I have had the odd hot toddy. I am not sure if it makes you better or just stops you caring.

I am more interested in the slightly unusual and potentially dangerous cures.

A collegue in a neighbouring parish suggested several pounds of figs washed down with Guiness. Apparently afterward you want to sneeze and cough but you daren't.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Not even tea? I have NEVER been THAT sick. I'm afraid it might be a new strain of man-flu that has been genetically modified by coffee growers.

Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Busted Bricks wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:37 pm
Not even tea? I have NEVER been THAT sick. I'm afraid it might be a new strain of man-flu that has been genetically modified by coffee growers.
Oooer, I had not thought of that.

Actually tea is the first thing I go off when poorly.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 am

Big Jim wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm
I have had the odd hot toddy. I am not sure if it makes you better or just stops you caring.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It makes me stop caring Jim. But it does work honestly and more enjoyable than Figs… :puke: :puke:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am

Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
Get well soon! :)
Phil

I am not young enough to know everything anymore...

User avatar
SimonWood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by SimonWood » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

Lonsdaler wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am
Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
Get well soon! :)
It might be colder further north, but at the moment in West Wales the sea's not that cold (at least it wasn't on Monday). It seems to lag a couple of months behind, and is about as warm now as it was in June!

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am

SimonWood wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am
Lonsdaler wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am
Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
Get well soon! :)
It might be colder further north, but at the moment in West Wales the sea's not that cold (at least it wasn't on Monday). It seems to lag a couple of months behind, and is about as warm now as it was in June!
According to the afficionados, fresh water temps are about 4 - 6 degrees at the moment!
Phil

I am not young enough to know everything anymore...

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Flipping heck Phil, thats cold……
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
The cold has now gone, I think beating it to death with warm alcoholic beverages was the answer. Mulled cider with a large drop of rum in it helped vastly. I am tempted to keep up with this little concoction as a preventative mesure.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
SimonWood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Lonsdaler wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am
According to the afficionados, fresh water temps are about 4 - 6 degrees at the moment!
What Rod said. It's almost 10 degrees warmer than that in the sea here.

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:23 am

Big Jim wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 am
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
The cold has now gone, I think beating it to death with warm alcoholic beverages was the answer. Mulled cider with a large drop of rum in it helped vastly. I am tempted to keep up with this little concoction as a preventative mesure.
Glad to hear Jim….Works every time…My Dad did know how to keep it at bay. He did work outside for a living all his life until he passed away age 92….
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests