Cold Cure Required

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

Cold Cure Required

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 am

I have gone down with a dose of the dreaded Lurgi. Coughing, sneezing, shivering, off my grub and I can't face a cup of tea. I have been living on Lemsip and Bovril for the last two days.

This has meant that I have been able to spend a bit of time reading. One of these books is a collection of accounts of the doings of various eccentric Clergy (Yes Teddy Boston is in it). One account about a Cornish Rector mentioned how he had cured a severe cold that had laid low a young choirboy by giving the lad a large glass of gin and then throwing him in the mill pond, apparently it worked.

When I was a nipper, at the first sign of a cold, I was dragged off to the nearest set of roadworks to have a good sniff of the tar boiler, apparently this was supposed to clear out the tubes. I cannot remember if it did or not.

Do any members of the forum have any unusual ideas I might like to try in order to rid myself of this damn cold? I really don't fancy downing a pint of gin and then jumping in the canal.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Cold Cure Required.

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am

Don’t need a pint of Gin Jim, sorry about that… :roll:

A hot Toddy of Whiskey, lemonade and honey works wonders for me. My Dad sweared by it and he didn’t really get any heavy colds, I never saw him sneeze once after having his Toddies……

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Cold Cure Required.

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 am

He may have needed two or three mind you…. :lol: :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Cold Cure Required

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am

Honey and lemon normally sorts me out.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I have had the odd hot toddy. I am not sure if it makes you better or just stops you caring.

I am more interested in the slightly unusual and potentially dangerous cures.

A collegue in a neighbouring parish suggested several pounds of figs washed down with Guiness. Apparently afterward you want to sneeze and cough but you daren't.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Not even tea? I have NEVER been THAT sick. I'm afraid it might be a new strain of man-flu that has been genetically modified by coffee growers.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:37 pm Not even tea? I have NEVER been THAT sick. I'm afraid it might be a new strain of man-flu that has been genetically modified by coffee growers.
Oooer, I had not thought of that.

Actually tea is the first thing I go off when poorly.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 am

Big Jim wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm I have had the odd hot toddy. I am not sure if it makes you better or just stops you caring.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It makes me stop caring Jim. But it does work honestly and more enjoyable than Figs… :puke: :puke:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am

Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
Get well soon! :)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
It might be colder further north, but at the moment in West Wales the sea's not that cold (at least it wasn't on Monday). It seems to lag a couple of months behind, and is about as warm now as it was in June!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am

SimonWood wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 am Not a cure Jim, but something to consider once you're well - we have a burgeoning group of open air swimmers in the Dales, and one of the supposed benefits of a regular cold dip is that you don't fall foul of the dreaded lurgue (apparently :shock: )
It might be colder further north, but at the moment in West Wales the sea's not that cold (at least it wasn't on Monday). It seems to lag a couple of months behind, and is about as warm now as it was in June!
According to the afficionados, fresh water temps are about 4 - 6 degrees at the moment!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Flipping heck Phil, thats cold……

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
The cold has now gone, I think beating it to death with warm alcoholic beverages was the answer. Mulled cider with a large drop of rum in it helped vastly. I am tempted to keep up with this little concoction as a preventative mesure.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am According to the afficionados, fresh water temps are about 4 - 6 degrees at the moment!
What Rod said. It's almost 10 degrees warmer than that in the sea here.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:23 am

Big Jim wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 am Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
The cold has now gone, I think beating it to death with warm alcoholic beverages was the answer. Mulled cider with a large drop of rum in it helped vastly. I am tempted to keep up with this little concoction as a preventative mesure.
Glad to hear Jim….Works every time…My Dad did know how to keep it at bay. He did work outside for a living all his life until he passed away age 92….