Flexible track

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
quilkin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Flexible track

Post by quilkin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 am

Hi, I've only just started thinking about building a garden railway (more details in the intro section https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 85#p141885 ).
I've got the chance to buy a lot of flexible track (45mm gauge Accucraft) at a good price, but just wondering if there is any disdavantage in using that compared with standard straights and curves. As my intro says, my layout will be mostly straight sections (some gentle curves, and quite a bit of gradient). Thanks for any help on this.

philipy

Re: Flexible track

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am

I can't comment on that particular brand, but I would say that in general, long lengths of flexible track are preferable to short set track pieces, whether straights or curves.
Philip

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:26 pm

As someone who handlays all my track, I think you'd benefit from the use of flex track simply because you'll be able to have some bends between major curves. Even fixed radius curves look a bit odd in my opinion. Straight sections of track have their place but one of my rules for trackwork is to avoid lengthy straight sections as much as possible. By incorporating curves the track will look more natural instead of forced.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 pm

As previous replies, plus you will be able to create gradual transitions into your fixed radius curves.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:41 pm

As others have said flexible track is good stuff.
Any track at a good price is worth acquiring. It can always be sold on if it doesn't suit.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Accucraft is a good brand. Code 332 so compatible with most other makes of that type. E.G. LGB, Bachmann, Trainline, Piko, etc'. So plenty of set track points and crossings available without the need to make or commission your own. Agree with all previous remarks. Get or rent a track/rail bender. Avoid the old belly bending technique.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Rail bender is a must, don't try and force the track into place you will regret it when it bows due to temperature change, ground movement, etc.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:48 pm

You haven't said if the track you are looking at has been used, but depending on how it was fixed, it can be more difficult to bend, as the sleepers don't slide as easily on the rails as with new track. It's not impossible, but just adds to the workload involved in getting the curves you want.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Stubborn plastic sleepers can be moved along rails with light lubrication.

quilkin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by quilkin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Many thanks for all the replies: so many in just a few hours! That's given me great confidence in the track. I think it's new, surplus to someone's requirements.
As to a rail bender, that's probably a good topic for another thread after I've got my rails. Maybe I can construct one from Meccano; I've made a Meccano bender to curve Mecacno plates and strips!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

A meccano rail bender would be a nice project to write up for this forum.......
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:02 pm

It is very decent stuff. Do use a bender for sharp curves, it makes for better running. "Elephant rail" (code 332) is not easy to hand bend with any degree of accuracy anyway. As for straights, I would tend to confine them to passing loops and sidings, they don't look so good out on the open road, as it were. Also keep curves as open as you can. Yes, you can use a 38" minimum radius in SM45, but if you have the room for bigger radiuses use it - it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run - and not every line had the track geometry of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. I generally do not contemplate anything under 5 foot unless I cannot make it fit any other way, which means I can usually get away with hand bending. Track laying is one area where 'the Six Ps' are really your friend. I learnt that truth the hard way.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

quilkin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by quilkin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Big Jim wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm A meccano rail bender would be a nice project to write up for this forum.......
I've now looked at some videos of dual-rail benders to see how they work. At $275 it's worth having a go at a Meccano one. I don't fancy separating the rails and using a simple one-rail bender. Watch this space....
btw, if anyone's got any damaged flexible track that they don't need (a couple of feet?) that I could experiment with, that would be great.

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:33 am

Twin rail benders may appear pricey but when you put them in the context of how much you can be spending on just building the basic infrastructure of your railway, the time they save and the possibilities for layout optimization they offer it's a small cost. Add in the cost of your stock and "scenic" stuff and the ratio looks even better. Yes, I too prefer to see my outlay running before my eyes rather than hidden.

My only experience of rail bending (and plenty of it) is with LGB make code 332, that arrives when new, unassembled with the rail separated from the sleeper webs (each about 12" long). Assembly/disassembly is very simple, quick and straightforward. I have only had a GRS single rail bender available to me. At times when I have had a need to re-profile curves produced using flexi-track on my line, that had been down on the ground on a ballasted bed, I have found it easy to remove the sleeper webs and rebend the individual rails and then reassemble.

I have noted your "handle" on another forum in discussion with the vendor of the items you are seeking to buy. It might be an idea to ask them if the Accucraft flexi-track system is as as easily separated from its sleeper web as the LGB make are, with the webs in similar handy size to that of LGB. You also might want to do a shout out on there for loan or rent of a rail bender. But I'd be interested to see a Mecano rail bender too.

P.S. Damaged/unusable track has probably got some serious kinks in it that will not go through the rollers on any bender design you will try to evaluate.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 am

Interesting debate on the efficacy of rail benders. I've never used one.

I use code 332 flexible track or buy long straights, cut the sleeper webs and then bend them. The only problems I encountered were when joining two lengths of track on a curve - but I now use a small jim crow to tweak the rail ends on curves. My track is screwed down to concrete (breeze) blocks which helps prevent it straightening out after it has been laid. I did consider buying a rail bender when I started out in the hobby but was advised by one of the staff at GRS that they weren't really necessary and, so far, I've not found the need for one.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks Rik, I was beginning to think I was the only one without a rail bender! I've never really found it necessary, I don't even use a jim crow, I've found that long nose pliers do the job adequately, it's only rail ends on a significant curve that need tweaking.
Philip

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 am Interesting debate on the efficacy of rail benders. I've never used one.

I did consider buying a rail bender when I started out in the hobby but was advised by one of the staff at GRS that they weren't really necessary

Strange thing, some 13 years ago when buying some additional flexi' for my line, the man at GRS told me they were an essential tool and I must buy one. You obviously weren't dealing with Matt or his father. :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 am

Those of you not using a rail bender are you all using code 332 track?

I have found with smaller code 200 a rail bender is a must.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 am Those of you not using a rail bender are you all using code 332 track?

I have found with smaller code 200 a rail bender is a must.
I'm using mostly Peco, which I believe is 200, but I have other bits and pieces which I've picked up 2nd hand at various times, some flat bottom and some bullhead. I treat them all the same.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 am Strange thing, some 13 years ago when buying some additional flexi' for my line, the man at GRS told me they were an essential tool and I must buy one. You obviously weren't dealing with Matt or his father. :lol:
Coincidentally, it must have been about 13 years ago I was enquiring. I bought a few lengths of secondhand track and when I asked the chap (no idea who) about the need for a rail bender he suggested I spend the money on more track. Maybe he was just trying to shift track.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube