RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 am

Aw Tom - sad news :cry:
I can only echo what the others have said - you'll be back, better than before.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:00 am

Very sad to hear of this tom, Great to see that your locos and stock will be in safe hands. all the best for the RWLR mk2!
Mitch :thumbleft:
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Tom,

Sorry to hear things are not going the way you'd like. I can only agree with all the earlier posts, and in particular just to step away from it and leave it for a while. It will give you time to reflect and regroup before you do anything you may regret later.
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:42 pm I have concerns about the coal though as you are using the SBR as an adhesive rather than a skin.
I'll be interested to see the result of this experiment, particularly if you place it outside after a couple of weeks drying time.
Hi Peter,

Seems to be holding despite heavy rainfalls we have had recently:

20180830_083020-01.jpeg
20180830_083020-01.jpeg (279.36 KiB) Viewed 5109 times

My other SBR experiments are a complete fail which is one of the reasons why I am done with the railway. SBR for me at least only works out using a thin layer of small ballast.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for that Tom, now you have found the solution it will be useful to apply when the time comes. I think there is a large railway already being planned inside your head, all you need to do is relocate to a bigger garden, perhaps with a small house attached!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am

Hello,

Just back from a few days away to find closure notices posted on one of my favourite lines! I'm really sorry to hear your news and, like the others, really hope this isn't the end - perchance it is not dead but sleepeth?

I know from my own garden railway-ing experience the impact of major setbacks - I lost count of how many times the original West Kent Light Railway was dug up and relaid, then most of its second, Bristol, incarnation also had to be relaid due to my kinky curves, before the whole line was destroyed by a house extension. The rebuilt line has also had its share of ups and downs - the current down being the need to rebuild a large chunk of it where rot's set in. I've also had major pauses in progress where real life has intruded too - or rather where my daft hobby has begun to intrude too much on real life...

Each of those set-backs has seen me question whether I have the will and ability to carry on, even whether there are other things I should be doing with my life altogether, but a pause for reflection eventually seems to give way to an impatience to crack on again. That said, with the big rebuilds I find I do have to pick the right mood and moment to undertake major, disruptive work - I'm currently tinkering with other things while I wait for the planets to align for that one... They will though, and I'm sure they wiil for you too - you've achieved so much, overcome so many problems and created a viable, innovative and characterful line in a small space, it'll come good eventually...

Good luck with everything,

Andrew

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:34 am

Sad to read this news Tom - but I have enjoyed seeing your railway via your pics and videos. It's been a great little line, and I hope we can look forward to seeing its successor at some point in the (not too distant) future! Thanks for all the inspiration.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 am

SimonWood wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:34 am Thanks for all the inspiration.
Good point! Yes, whatever happens next, thank you for sharing all your experience with the railway to date - it's been great...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am

Ironic isn't it, just when I thought it was only me that had any interest in my line you all pour out support all in one go!

Andrew, the railway will remain until you either pick up your loco or I test the Slomo out on your Russell and post it back to you, however, I have already told the land authority that I have had enough so ideas of barbeques and pergolas are already being formed in place of the track. In a way, it's a relief?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am Ironic isn't it, just when I thought it was only me that had any interest in my line you all pour out support all in one go!
I refer the right honourable gentleman to several earlier outpourings!
tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am Andrew, the railway will remain until you either pick up your loco or I test the Slomo out on your Russell and post it back to you, however, I have already told the land authority that I have had enough so ideas of barbeques and pergolas are already being formed in place of the track. In a way, it's a relief?
I'm glad to hear that! I've emailed Terry for an update so should know what's what quite soon. If I do manage to make it down to Kent be warned that I shall try to change your mind re this whole ripping up the railway business! I do know what you mean about the prospect of not having a railway to look after for a while being a relief though. Presumably if you're building a model of a rural halt in N gauge or whatever you can just stick it in a cupboard for a while when you get fed up with it, instead of having it stare you in the face every time you look out of the window. These indoor modellers just don't understand what we go through!!!

Cheers,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:52 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am Ironic isn't it, just when I thought it was only me that had any interest in my line you all pour out support all in one go!

Andrew, the railway will remain until you either pick up your loco or I test the Slomo out on your Russell and post it back to you, however, I have already told the land authority that I have had enough so ideas of barbeques and pergolas are already being formed in place of the track. In a way, it's a relief?
I have no idea why you think no-one is interested in your railway. I enjoy your postings and your YouTube videos.
Ian

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm with Ian that slo mo and auto coupling.....to die for...

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:29 am

Oh Tom, I just found out that you are finishing with your line, that is so sad. I haven't been on this site for long but the help that you have given me is tremendous, If it is a relief to you that is all that counts tho. Like others have said we will miss your RWLR. I suppose you will still have an interest in garden railway. I hope you stay on the forum tho.

All the best
Julie

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 pm

A short run at dusk before another working week starts tomorrow, woo:

20180902_193208-01.jpeg
20180902_193208-01.jpeg (397.23 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
20180902_193323-01.jpeg
20180902_193323-01.jpeg (472.28 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
20180902_193903-01.jpeg
20180902_193903-01.jpeg (361.1 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
20180902_194200-01.jpeg
20180902_194200-01.jpeg (443.78 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Tom,

Lovely to see some more photos of your line, the Patrolman looks to be a little out of scale though! :shock:

If it's not a funny question, what size is the 'pea beach' you've used? I've used it on either side of parts of my line as drainage. As I've not yet managed to box the sleepers in with ballast, so a fair amount of the 'beach' from the drainage has found it's way between the sleepers (thanks in the main to the local Jackdaw population, all of whom seem to be civil engineers!). The appearance of the 'beach' as ballast is not unappealing , I was just a bit concerned it was overscale. Looking at yours though I'm convinced it looks just the job! I'm wondering if yours is the same size as mine?

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi Andrew,

The ballast is 3-5mm Dorset natural pea gravel and the colour for me at least suits the coastal theme of the railway.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:22 am

Good to see that services are still running - a very purposeful-looking train, and the lamps look great in the dusk too.

Hope the working week goes OK - I'm back after a week off, but running some trains on Saturday definitely helped ease the return!

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:12 pm Hi Andrew,

The ballast is 3-5mm Dorset natural pea gravel and the colour for me at least suits the coastal theme of the railway.
Thanks Tom.

Quite large in scale terms nut it still looks spot on to me! I may follow your example when the time comes. :thumbleft:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 pm

I have wanted to video more than one loco in operation on the RWLR for a while now so here it is!

It was a windy day and my neighbours were all doing DIY so that is why there is music and not sound.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:01 pm

That is so impressive Tom, in every way. Thank you.

I've been meaning to ask, how do you fix the magnets to the track/sleepers?
Philip