PLR - This weekend's operating session

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

PLR - This weekend's operating session

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Took advantage of the sunshine and ran a full operating session. Hope you like it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Re: PLR - This weekend's operating session

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

The PLR's looking wonderful Rik - I can't imagine how much time you must have to spend maintaining it all in that lovely condition.

I love all the rolling stock, but especially the work-stained but not decrepit goods wagons and that hugely characterful little half-cab saddle tank. Great sound effects on the Col Stephens style railcar too...

Thanks for taking the time to put together such great videos,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm The PLR's looking wonderful Rik - I can't imagine how much time you must have to spend maintaining it all in that lovely condition.
I like to think of it as carefully nurtured neglect. It's Darwinian - if it survives it was meant to be there. There's a few self-sown plants, which I've retained as they seem to be in just the right places. Had to have a couple of rogue leylandii felled and grub out a lot of the shrubs beneath them - and so the back fence is now a glaring backdrop to some of the shots. I've planted new shrubs but they will take a couple of years to become better established.
Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm ....... Great sound effects on the Col Stephens style railcar too...
Yes, quite pleased with that - very much a cheapo homegrown soundcard with my own edited sound effects. More info about it here:
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2015/1 ... sytem.html

...... and here's how I edited the sounds together using the freebie program Audacity.
http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... sound.html
I also use it to create sound effects for the local Am Dram group (eg the sound of Augustus Gloop being sucked up into the machine in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

I can't stop tinkering. Always wanting to learn new stuff on a need to know basis - a jack of all trades and master of none.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm

By the way folks. Even though I checked the video three times before rendering it, I've now noticed a couple of glaring mistakes (and an interesting 'aside'). :?
I wonder who will be the first to spot them :shock:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Not sure if it's egotistical, but I sometimes like to sit back and watch my own videos - particularly on days when it's too wet or cold to go outside.

There's a shot in this video which I'm particularly pleased with (the one where the passenger train comes towards the camera). I suppose the attraction is the opportunity the camera gives for seeing my railway from a perspective which otherwise would not be possible (there's no room for me to lie down next to the track in that particular location).

Rik
PS - I do like watching other people's videos of their railways btw - so I'm not entirely ego-voyeuristic (if such a condition exists).
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 pm

I think this is one of your best videos Rik so you may be being too critical of yourself.

The only things I noticed were your railcar has a wobbly wheel and the end scene you can see a couple of LED's flickering either the sound or R/C units?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:34 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 pm The only things I noticed were your railcar has a wobbly wheel and the end scene you can see a couple of LED's flickering either the sound or R/C units?
Thanks Tom. I didn't spot the wobbly wheel (might need to fix it) and I wasn't referring to the blue LED - though I had spotted that - yes, it's the sound unit tucked up in the roof of the railcar.

Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:37 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm By the way folks. Even though I checked the video three times before rendering it, I've now noticed a couple of glaring mistakes (and an interesting 'aside'). :?
I wonder who will be the first to spot them :shock:

Rik
Hi Rik - firstly great video – very jealous - great to see shots through the new wood yard – very atmospheric – also the shots by the mill and the river are so atmospheric - fantastic

In terms of bloopers I have to watch a few times to spot anything and this isn’t me being churlish – just playing the game! If we played this game on my videos, you’d have spotted a hat full of errors!

a) A Fun one! - The Hebe at Peckforton that overhangs the platform needs a visit from the tree surgeon
b) (deffo this is one) Video title at Bickerton – 'No3 piloting No.3 etc'
c) (maybe) at 7.00 the Up mixed powers up Gallantry Bank but earlier at 5.04 the Up Ore Train descends Gallantry Bank – my uncertainty is I don’t know if you have two sides to Gallantry Bank! Looked similar.

Always fancied myself as a detective! :D
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:06 pm

markoteal wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:37 pm a) A Fun one! - The Hebe at Peckforton that overhangs the platform needs a visit from the tree surgeon
b) (deffo this is one) Video title at Bickerton – 'No3 piloting No.3 etc'
c) (maybe) at 7.00 the Up mixed powers up Gallantry Bank but earlier at 5.04 the Up Ore Train descends Gallantry Bank – my uncertainty is I don’t know if you have two sides to Gallantry Bank! Looked similar.
a) Well spotted but not the accidental feature I had in mind (but you are geographically close)
b) Yes - how annoying. I only spotted it after I had rendered the video and posted it on YouTube. It should read No. 3 is piloting No.2
c) That's an unintentional anomaly. I did wonder about it when writing the captions. Because of the way I operate my railway, trains travel that short bit of line twice. In reality if the line had been built, trains would climb Gallantry Bank as they leave Bickerton and then descend the other side as they approach Bulkeley. On my railway the rise and descent is the same stretch of track because of the reverse loop- a bit of modellers' licence.

Incidentally, 'Gallantry' is thought to be a contraction of 'Gallows Tree'. Legend has it there was a gibbet at the cross roads on that ridge to act as a warning to any ne'er do wells who might be tempted into a bit of highway robbery.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

markoteal wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:37 pm ....... great to see shots through the new wood yard .....
I'm glad you spotted that. I wanted to make a feature of the new sawmill - gives a good reason for an overhead shot from the gantry.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:17 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 pm ...... [Quoted from Youtube] The scene from 5:59 is brilliant!
Glad you liked that. I wasn't going to take (yet) another shot beside the stream, but I just happened to see the light filtering through the trees and grabbed the camera. It was literally a spur of the moment decision - and only lasted a few minutes before the sun moved round a bit further. I must have a chat with one of my walking chums who's a keen photographer (or anyone on here who can advise) - on he best time to take photos/videos. I think the best time is morning and evening - as some of the shots taken near midday are a bit washed-out and stark. But I was running trains for most of the day and so had to seize opportunities as they arose.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Lovely video, do I get a bonus point for spotting if instead of "of"....

I can never see enough shots of the river side track, I think if I owned that I wouldn't need any more railway. It's perfect.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 pm

bazzer42 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm ........ do I get a bonus point for spotting if instead of "of"....
Yes, well spotted. Another error which crept through quality control.

The stream is a feature which brings the railway and garden to life. Sometimes, if I'm working in the garden, I'll set the stream going just so I can hear the background sounds of trickling water.

Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:17 pm
tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 pm ...... [Quoted from Youtube] The scene from 5:59 is brilliant!
Glad you liked that. I wasn't going to take (yet) another shot beside the stream, but I just happened to see the light filtering through the trees and grabbed the camera. It was literally a spur of the moment decision - and only lasted a few minutes before the sun moved round a bit further. I must have a chat with one of my walking chums who's a keen photographer (or anyone on here who can advise) - on he best time to take photos/videos. I think the best time is morning and evening - as some of the shots taken near midday are a bit washed-out and stark. But I was running trains for most of the day and so had to seize opportunities as they arose.

Rik
Rik - You are correct - I'm told the first and last hours of daylight are the best time to take photos - something technical to do with the light and how shadows form - someone may have more technical detail!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Rik PLR is looking great love the scenery and water mill area and a really nice selection of locos. Thanks for sharing this lovely video. :thumbright:
Regards
Kevin

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am

steamer68 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:42 am Hi Rik PLR is looking great love the scenery and water mill area and a really nice selection of locos. Thanks for sharing this lovely video. :thumbright:
Thanks Kevin
Glad you liked it.
Rik
------------------------

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 am

Wow! There's so much to admire here. It's all beautifully realised. Some very nicely composed and satisfying shots too. Strewth... [shakes head, slowly]

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:06 am

I was having a look back at some of your early videos Rik particularly the construction of the line and you can see why the railway looks the way it does today which is brilliant.

When I mentioned Deltang to people at the recent steam up I attended your name along with the PLR were all well know.

When are we going to see some live steam action please (do it for me at least, I like the Regner).

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:06 am When I mentioned Deltang to people at the recent steam up I attended your name along with the PLR were all well know.
When are we going to see some live steam action please (do it for me at least, I like the Regner).
Hi Tom. Yes, a bit scary. I've mentioned before, that once when I was at a table top sale in a Nantwich, a model railway club from Market Drayton had a stall, so I went and had a chat. The chap asked which scale I modelled in, and when I said 16mm, he said, "You must be Rik".

I'll dust off the Regner over the summer and give her a blast. Must get around to fitting PLR couplings and matybe even RC, though she doesn't really need it
BertieB wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 am Some very nicely composed and satisfying shots ......
Thanks. That's very gratifying. I'm always trying to find new viewpoints, but some crop up more than once. More difficult now I've cleared some of the undergrowth at the back of the garden, until the new shrubs become established.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 am

You have done another superb video Rik. Who is looking for any slight errors and who cares, I don’t….

I just see a fantasisimo, (is that word,) line with fantastic scenery and loco’s with fantastic rolling stock. :thumbright:

I would be so happy to have one fifth of your line Rik.. a really fantastic line that I am sure we all enjoy whatever other people see of any mistakes.

Note to self…must stop using Fantastic so much… :lol: :lol: :lol: