I started with a Mamod SL1, but the interest in garden railways started a long time before....
My father used to get a Bassett & Lowke catalogue every year, for some unknown reason. He never did any modelling or anything with live steam. Anyway there was an "O" gauge loco advertised in it. Every Xmas and birthday when I was asked by my parents, what I wanted, that loco was at the top of my list...Not surprisingly I never got it

It cost an absolute fortune in those days... £48 !!!! At around the age of 11, I saw a clip on TV (only one channel then.... BBC) about a club of people running "S" scale in a garden setting. I was intrigued and I guess that implanted the idea of a garden railway in my brain. In the early 1960's I managed to get my Mamod stationary engine to pull itself on a short stretch of homemade track on the garden path, and that was that at that point. Eventually sometime in the first half of the 1980's (age by then, in the 30's) I managed to buy one of the first Mamod loco's for the sum of £35, brand new

. My Xmas and birthday wish after the purchase of the loco was a pack of SM32 track, which I usually got and my railway slowly grew by approx 12 yards each year ! Thankfully at that time we had a very small back garden !
For a short time the loco was remote controlled by stud contact. I added a tender with a butchered servo which had the printed circuit removed, so it worked as a motor. Applying a low voltage current in short bursts would turn the servo spindle by small amouts each time. A bicycle brake cable was attached to an enclosed drum fitted to the servo. The brake cable ran from the tender to the reversing valve lever on the loco. A battery pack of two 1½ volt batteries was wired to a double pole reversing switch, and one wire was attached to the track, and the other wire attached the studs (small round headed brass screws) in the centre of the track. A sprung "skate" fitted to the bottom of the tender picked up power from the studs. Flicking the switch quickly, moved the reverser lever by very small amounts, forwards or backwards. It worked quite well but I was obviously limited to running the loco on my own track. Eventually a year or so later I had managed to save up enough money for radio control, and so it progressed
