Photobucket "headsup"

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Photobucket "headsup"

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Some of you from other forums may already be aware of this but Photobucket has recently changed its user terms, mostly the part about third party image hosting. The third party hosting, that is displaying your photos on other sites through Photobucket, is now part of one of their paid for packages. This is causing photos to slowly disappear from post only to be replaced by a grey coloured Icon.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Photobucket "headsup"

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks James, other members on here have already had their images started to be blocked.

I think it will be the end of Photobucket as although no one could expect them to host for free forever the way they have gone enforcing their new terms is quite ruthless.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 pm

I've noticed that if one <right clicks> on the Photobucket 3rd Party message image and selects <open image in new tab> you're still able to view the photo at the Photobucket site itself.

Personally I simply reduce my photos to 600x400 pixels and upload them as attachments to this forum. I figured since I contributed a few $$ to help with the recent move of the forum I might as well use this available feature. :D

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Dwayne wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 pm I've noticed that if one <right clicks> on the Photobucket 3rd Party message image and selects <open image in new tab> you're still able to view the photo at the Photobucket site itself.
Even that ability has disappeared now.

Lord Ruthven
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Lord Ruthven » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:34 am

What alternative options do we have? I am searching for a replacement of photobucket and complete migration of my albums, but still can't find a suitable alternative for posting here. Have anybody found good replacement?

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 pm

I now use Flickr. Good for sharing but a pain to copy and paste as each link has to be edited too. PB had a mass link-copying feature which is sorely missed.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Lord Ruthven wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:34 am What alternative options do we have? I am searching for a replacement of photobucket and complete migration of my albums, but still can't find a suitable alternative for posting here. Have anybody found good replacement?
I've used Flickr and now use Google Photos because it links directly with Blogger which hosts my blog. Both are dead easy to use and free, though I've now exceeded my maximum free space in Google photos and so pay a very small annual fee. I think the limit for free hosting on Flickr is 1Tb. More info on here - https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I've not used Google Photos for sharing photos on here so thought I'd give it a try.
Not yet found an easy way to embed the image on here, the img tags don't seem to work.

Here's the direct link. I can see it, of course, can anyone else see it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kPLVOyRAnkBU19fy2

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Rik,

when I click on the link it opens the image in google photos but the image is not displayed in the post for me.

Dave

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Rik,

That only works if you have a Google account.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 am

I just upload to the forum, it’s easy. If i want more storage i would use one of those external hard drives, you can get a 1TB for under £45 and a 3TB for under £90.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

I agree with Rod. I've never understood why people want to go through the extra hassle of uploading to a third party and then postng that link, instead of a simple drag 'n drop whilst writing the post.
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am

Philip / Rod,
Are you using laptops/Pc's? I use a Samsung tablet and I find loading photos a bit of a pain as I have to copy to an app called pixlr that resizes them smaller and then load onto the forum. If there is an easier solution please let me know what to do. Thanks in advance.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Derek, can you crop on your tablet, if you can, you can crop any photo no matter what size it is, you can then load straight on to the forum.

Hope this helps mate. :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am Philip / Rod,
Are you using laptops/Pc's? I use a Samsung tablet and I find loading photos a bit of a pain as I have to copy to an app called pixlr that resizes them smaller and then load onto the forum. If there is an easier solution please let me know what to do. Thanks in advance.
Yes, I use a PC. I used to have a Samsung tablet but didn't like Android so got rid of it and went back to a Windows notebook for taking on hols ( like I am now).
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:07 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am Hi Derek, can you crop on your tablet, if you can, you can crop any photo no matter what size it is, you can then load straight on to the forum.

Rod, any idea where I would find the option to crop, nothing on edit when I load the picture in gallery?

Lord Ruthven
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Lord Ruthven » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Some great ideas, thanks. I already uploaded several pictures here.
As for the reason to search for 3Rd party photo hosting - I would like to share them on several pages, a blog and also here. So photobucket was ideal - you upload once and just link it on every page/forum. I guess I will try Flikr now.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 pm

You can still use Photobucket you just have to pay for the privilege to share images with 3rd party sites.

Trouble with using another provider is they will likely go the same way one day as it costs money to host millions of images globally.

Lord Ruthven
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Lord Ruthven » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 pm

With the prices they ask, I am afraid I will have to migrate. At first I thought about going that exact way - just to pay the small fee for the extra. But then I saw the price. It is unreasonably high. It will actually be cheaper to register domain and buy cheap hosting, so to share pictures from my own site.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:07 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am Hi Derek, can you crop on your tablet, if you can, you can crop any photo no matter what size it is, you can then load straight on to the forum.

Rod, any idea where I would find the option to crop, nothing on edit when I load the picture in gallery?
This was taken on my £45 Android tablet Derek, it show you at the top right hand corner a symbol with 3 short lines, tap that and it will bring this up for you, you can see a crop symbol to use to crop your photos then you can upload to the forum.

Hope this helps, it should mate.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3796 times