Lineside Mainline Steam - A Waiting Game

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
MTA

Lineside Mainline Steam - A Waiting Game

Post by MTA » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Today, on the 6th December 2008, I woke up unusually early for a Saturday to witness the rare spectacle of an LNER designed A4 Pacific venturing along the Southern coast on the West Coastway line, which used to be the stamping ground of Bulleid Pacifics; Standard 4 Tanks, BR Standard 4’s and 5’s and Brighton Atlantics.

The engine was No. 60019 ‘Bittern’ with ‘The Bath Christmas Market’ special from Haywards Heath to Bath Spa, the tour being organised by The Railway Touring Company (http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/) and the crew for ‘Bittern’ being supplied by the English, Welsh & Scottish Railway (http://www.ews-railway.co.uk/), this outward working was diagram number IZ92. I gathered my details from this very useful site www.uksteam.info.

I had timed my arrival at my usual spot, which is halfway between Ford and Lake Lane level crossing, for 0835 so that I could check out the different angles and see how the lighting would affect my video and/or pics. This spot allows me to get up close to the lineside, as well as get a long stretch of un-obscured line before it curves into Ford station. It is rather out of the way, so it is usually just myself at this spot and the local birds twittering away peacefully. Plus it is easy to get to by bike (my mode of transport for this journey) and on foot.

I arrived slightly early, and the first casualty of the day was trapping my finger in the swinging, sprung loaded, gate which stops cattle from finding their way onto this busy commuter line.

I had some time to eat up, so I took some pics of passing trains. On this line 377 Electrostar units built by Bombardier Transportation are the mainstay of the services, with a 158/150/153 DMU operating a First Great Western Brighton to Worcester Shrub Hill service.

At this time of year, Network Rail put their Windhoff MPV’s/Rail Head Treatment Trains into service and they make for an unusual sight.

It was nearly 0900, and I knew something was wrong. Luckily, I had an ‘informant’ who was getting on this train at Chichester so I rang him up to find out what was going on. Apparently ‘Bittern’ had been trapped in an engineer’s siding at Three Bridges and the train was going to be an hour late, although he said that the train was currently between Hassocks and Hove so I thought it should only be about 40 minutes before it gets to me.

A few more 377’s passed either way, then the Worcester Shrub Hill service passed from Brighton and I instinctively knew that ’Bittern’ would be next.

As the air was cold, I knew that there would be a lot of steam effects, then this tell-tale sign that something was coming appeared on the horizon.

The signal behind me changed to green, and as I could tell ‘Bittern’ was travelling slowly through Ford I knew I was in for a treat.

Then, the distinctive sound of an LNER chime whistle echoed around and then the chuff of three cylinders grew louder and ‘Bittern’ was gathering speed. I wasn’t let down by her, and here is the footage to prove it.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omFrfmJbb6g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

To watch in high quality (recommended), click here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=omFrfmJbb6g then click 'watch in high quality'.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Very Nice,
Wowser Lots of Steam !
;) 8)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Even the photos of the modern units are nice, I like the gangers hut in the foreground, most certainly adds to the scene.
Is there a fence between you and the mainline?

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:24 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Even the photos of the modern units are nice, I like the gangers hut in the foreground, most certainly adds to the scene.
Is there a fence between you and the mainline?
The only barrier is the gate, which I was on the railway side of. It is one of those footpath crossings over the line.

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm

WOW ! :D
Ian of the SLR(N)

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:50 pm

Nice video! The odd A4 comes through durham now and then, but I'm oftern at school :cry: .
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:24 pm

great photo's and video mate thanks for posting :D

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Cracking video mate.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Lovely! I like those chime whistles - magical...