More life in a dead Archangel Brick

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Big Jim

More life in a dead Archangel Brick

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Having just sorted the timing and other problems out on my Carodoc and my Merlin. I feel the need to have ago at my poorly Archangel Brick.
Does anyone have any idea or info on setting the timing on this single cylinder, slip eccentric fitted old lady.
It has been to a very good loco repair shop who sadly failed to make any headway. They did mention that he felt that the timing was wrong but he could not seem to get it to go right.

Basically she gets up steam no problem just seems to fail to procced under her own power. On blocks she will run after fashion.
Last edited by Big Jim on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Why not get Archangel to fix it for you. I have read that they suffer from wear to the valve gear so you might need a new set.
Cheers, Steve

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:10 am

Setting up slip eccentric valve gear is very easy if you can look into the valve chest. From pictures I've looked at the valve chest is on top of the cylinder so to get at it I would think that the boiler will have to come off. Have you got a picture of the under side ? as archangel were scratch built I imagine each one ends up a bit different.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 am

Why not get Archangel to fix it for you. I have read that they suffer from wear to the valve gear so you might need a new set
I have tried, on and off, to get hold of Stewart but have not had any luck. They annoying thing is he used to live about 5 miles from where I live now.

It may have to go back to him but I feel a little fiddling before hand is in order.

Mind you working as a mechanic the one thing that it certain to get my back up is when a customer brings in a car and says either "I looked on an internet forum and..." or "I had a little fiddle with it". :lol:

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 am

I remember that in one magazine there was an article on fixing and improving the slip eccentric valve gear or basic Archangel locos a year or two ago, probably either 16mm Today or Garden Rails.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:14 pm

I think I may have just got the record for the longest time between posts on a thread.

Right the Brick.

I have spent some time recently in a friends workshop playing with this old beastie.

We have checked and re checked the timing, repaired some of the motion. Had the cylinder apart and each time it still refused to work. It appeared to be getting pressure both sides of the piston. Gaskets were changed but still nothing.

It turns out that the exhaust was leaking back into the valve chest. This problem was cured by the changing of the exhaust pipe. The exhaust port on the valve chest and cylinder were drilled to accept a small pipe and this was sealed in place. This replaced the previous exhaust pipe that was fixed flush with the valve chest top cover. The used steam or air only being contained by a very thin bit of gasket which despite my best efforts would not maintain a seal.

There was much celebration when the chassis ran smoothly on air for the first time in nearly 20 years.

The engine is now in bits and soaking in thinners to remove many layers of paint and will be resprayed soon and running on steam.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 pm

You'd be a happy chappy then Jim, fully entitled to a smug "I fixed it myself" look. Big pat on the back.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:31 am

I can't take much of the credit as it was Tony Bird of this parish who supplied most of the required amount of expert.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

Well done Jim (and Tony). Look forward to seeing it running.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Painting all done. Possible reassembly tommorow.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 pm

ImageDSC_0022 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]

This is the before picture.
The paint was in very bad condition, It had been re painted at least twice before. If it had been original I would have just given it a sympathetic spiv up, however it was way beyond that.

For some reason there are various spurious holes in the footplate which suggest there was another type of burner fitted originally. I did debate filling these in but decided against it. There are various knocks and scratches on the boiler and the tanks, nothing serious but I have left them as they were.

A few drill holes in the tanks suggest that fillers were fitted at one point along with name plates. These I may replace but no name really suggests it self at the moment.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

I did wonder about detailing the loco, but it is such a simple machine there doesn't seem to be much point as by the time I have added a bunker and various other odds and ends I have gone away from the nice, simple early loco that it is.

I did wonder about building a tram body to fit the chassis, just to ring the changes but I think it will stay as is.

I can't see it getting much use but it is a nice member of the fleet. Ol, Bill should be back together on Monday and that just leaves the Merlin in bits ready for work to commence.

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Any chance for some "after" pictures?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Won't be until tommorow as it is in bits still as I have had a bit of a paint problem with the buffer beams.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:34 am

It ran last night but the pictures are too dark to post. I will post more when I get a chance to run it in day light.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Pictures of the steam test before the body was fitted.
Image20170109_142619 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr

A very poor picture of it in steam and moving under its own power for the first time in yonks.

Image20170111_203052 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr

Body back on and ready to go.

Image20170113_173941 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Running with a train of what I think are Archangel Wagons.
Image20170114_131949 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr

More pictures in the Photos Section

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:14 pm

I guess it's the cab, there's a certain cane tram look about that engine.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:32 am

I suppose it does. I used to run it without the cab as it makes using the regulator almost impossible.