Inexpensive set and go battery powered engines

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Inexpensive set and go battery powered engines

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Being autistic, my extra income for trains is limited and we all know how quickly large scale can get expensive. Heck my live steamer took months and the help of a generous friend to afford. So when I went dead rail, I found a cheap route that works great for what I want from my trains. When I run I normally just turn them on and sit back and get lost in my mind, its how I self regulate and calm down. What I used is a standard 6 cell RC car battery, 5500 MAH, NiMH from the local hobby store. I install a plug in the floor of the tender or cab, along with an on/off switch to turn the engine on or off. Charging is done in the off position. The batteries cost me $36 each, the charger was $20. I can recharge in 30-45 minutes and run time is 4-7 hours of continious running. My engines are as follows, LGB 2073d, had to split the pack apart with 3 cells in each side tank, LGB 2019s Mogul, I gutted the sound system from it, removed the boiler weight and installed the battery in its place, I wired the LGB headlight and flickering firebox circuit right to the motor leads, so it all comes on at once. I removed the smoke unit(battery eater!). I sold the sound boards to defray the cost of the battery. There was no need for the extra weight, just puts more wear on the axle slots and more weight that the motor has to move. I can still haul a prototype length train and more. Last two are a pair of old Kalamazoo Toy Train Works 4-4-0's. Thier battery is in the tender and going battery solves all the running issues this old models had as they did not have enough track pickups. I remove all track skakes and wheel wipers/brushes when I convert the engine. Its wonderful to just clear off the debris and run trains, no cleaning and polishing rails, no dealing with rail joints that decide to quit conducting power in the middle of a run session. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Have to agree with you Mike that going dead rail as you call it was the best thing I ever did. Is the aspergers and trainloving a common connection? My nephew has been diagnosed and is train (and playmobil) addicted. He has a huge collection but his condition won't let him part with stock even when he desperately needs the next loco.
Best wishes
Derek

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Yes, many that are on the autism spectrum enjoy trains in some shape or form. Some say it has to do with orderly manner and the fact you can make your own little world where you the autistic are safe and not overwhelmed/overstimulated by the real world. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm

OK - let's point you in a different direction. If you were to visit the Houston Gate Locomotive Works web site - http://www.hglw.co.uk/ you will see locos powered by 2 x AA dry or rechargeable batteries. These are good basic models, DEAD easy to put together, but capable of being customised to suit yourself. I have one - http://mdlr.co.uk/loco19.html from which I hope you will see it's an easy build. He also does simple British-style rolling stock to go with it.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Good battery locos

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Can definitely vouch for Houston Gate locos - No.2 Jessie in our fleet is a great example -

Click on this link to see our loco range - scroll down a bit to No.2 to read about her

http://chlrailway.blogspot.co.uk/p/locomotive-dept.html
Where did I put that uncoupler?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Where did you get the horn from? I had some Cambrian ones, but was disappointed in them.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

After some memory racking!!!!

Post by markoteal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:16 am

Phew, I must be getting old - really struggled to remember then the penny dropped

IP Engineering

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page86.html

I just gave it a lick of chrome paint on the outside and a bit of dk grey inside to give it some 'depth'

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

and here's a video of Jessie in action

Post by markoteal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Heres a clip of Jessie on a hopper train the other day - carrying bird seed back from the latest fill up at the bird table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPlbMk8JzM4

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Your video is 'private' so can't be watched!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Sorry - sack the technician

Post by markoteal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Sorry - the press man at the CHLR is newish so we'll let him off on this occasion - please use the link below - he promises me its working ok now! :roll:

https://youtu.be/IPlbMk8JzM4

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Got it this time.... thanks. Nice selection of short videos there and some good looking stock.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:31 am

Nice string of videos, glad you sorted your PR man. I think you prove the point, that there aren't too many places in a yard that you can't run a railway of some description.
Grant.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Thanks

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks guys - yes it's a case of making the railway fit in with the rest of the garden whilst not upsetting the planning authorities at home (my lovely wife!)

I also want the railway to not only look good, I want it to serve a purpose so whether its moving kindling from the wood area to the house, bird seed from the shed to the bird feeder or shuttling sausages from the BBQ to the eating area, I want the railway to have a real role ( as well as running more prototypical scale freight and passenger services).

Oh, I also forgot it also shuttles beer and wine and G&T from the fridge to visitors located in various places around the garden - this always proves popular!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:28 am

Hope you have a well sprung wagon, so you don't spill the G&T :lol: :lol:
Grant.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Well sprung indeed!

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:46 pm

LNR:120750 wrote:Hope you have a well sprung wagon, so you don't spill the G&T  :lol:  :lol:
Grant.
He he - very sprung by the end of an afternoon of Gin trains!

Actually as the pic below shows, the Gin in its miniature bottle uses its own truck at the mo, buffered by some corks, with the glass, ice and tonic travelling in the front wagon - eventually you can see the space in the front wagon where the minature gin (or whisky or run or ....insert your own spirit) bottle can sit but I do need to still raise one of the tunnels so it can fit through. A good winter job warned by a dram or two mi thinks! :lol: