The Awchit and Cyder Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 am

Depends on who's driving them ;)
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Don't let the Swedes drive, they think they a F1 drivers! :oops:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:51 pm

laurence703:115534 wrote:Bournemouth? That's only 2 ish hours away... But there are plenty of places between here and there... Brambleton is worth a visit and will probably be the place it gets its first good long proper run.

I've got to tidy up the line a bit this year as it has no ballast at the moment thanks to the rain and the dog... so I think some shuttering on the edge of the wood would be a good idea and then build the soil up either side to bring it to the right height.
Sounds like a plan for one day, when my toddler gives me time,i know what you mean about dogs, i seem to spend alot of time dog proofing, or dog repairing lol.

Love the snow. :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Few minor updates...
The IP coaches have a new home as does Barmy and Victory.
Hunslet will be named Edward Sholto and painted in Penrhyn livery.
Isibutu is getting close to being finished, just a gas tank and paint to go.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:26 pm

She looks amazing, so glad you saved it. I see what you mean about the original parts. when i sold it i honestly thought it would be broen down for parts. Cracking job :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:58 pm

I only bought it, DLRDan has been one of two people tinkering with it.

Also I got a new (to me) box...

In there is my Leek and Manifold, two yatton coaches and the usual steaming equipment minus water and the transmitter. I'm planning on fitting two wheels at one end, cause its a sod to carry, and fitting a lockable fold down leg on the door so it can be used to prep locos on.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Laurence,

That's one beautiful loco. I really look forward to seeing it completed.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm

It's been a while again so it's about time I told you all what I've been up to!

The Big box although is very useful in its application, it needs wheels and a leg to be used properly because it weighs a ton and isn't the easiest thing to carry unless you have a second person.

Isibutu is still at Dan's cause I haven't yet been able to obtain a gas tank...

The slate wagon train has grown to 23 wagons long... there's still two to build.

I have a steam up pencilled in for soon and a set of points to lay for some much needed extra siding space...

I need some more top soil /compost to rebuild the embankments as they have all washed away over winter.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:03 pm

So it's been ages again... really should update this more often...

ANYWHO! The loco roster has somewhat shrunk again with Ofario and Marmite off to pastures new... well kinda... DLRDan has them to do as he pleases...

The wagon front has also shrunk in number with the Coopercraft wagons and the Nedrag Light Railway wagons also gone to new homes. I'm trying to sell on my wooden wagons which aren't really springer spaniel friendly for resin / plastic ones. I've still got a few wagons that are for sale if anyone's interested.

Isibutu (The Spanish Acquisition!) has its nameplates on order and is currently in the paint shop. It's looking brilliant! Hopefully won't be too much longer before I get to play with it. It also has a gas tank now which helps.

The garden is looking rather nice at present as the plants are really starting to properly establish themselves. I've actually had to trim a few back every time I want to run something.

Track work has had a few small sections tinkered with just to get a few donkey legs out of them and nice smooth sections in.

There is an extension being built but it'll never actually have an A&CR regular service train over it as it's for the Modular Layout and so will probably only see trains once or twice a year.

Hunslet now has its Identity "Edward Sholto" and is sporting a rather nice Penrhyn Quarry livery. Still runs an absolute treat and is now quickly becoming my Go To engine for a quick run.

Boxy has had its batteries replaced and still surprises people when I go here, hold this for a sec... the usual response is bloody hell! That's heavy!

The Leek box now has great big pneumatic tyres and a leg on the door so I can actually prep and steam a loco on the door if theres lacking siding space. But speaking of the leek I really must get round to sorting the couplings out as they aren't the best...

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:54 pm

laurence703:119323 wrote: DLRDan has them to do as he pleases...

Oh don't stop worrying, its not like anything bad has happened......

Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 am

So the long awaited day has come at last... "The Spanish Acquisition" has under gone running in (still a bit more to do) and once a small track discrepancy had been altered I can now say it goes round really well.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58437EA8

But unfortunately due to unexpected Bills, Bertie has found a new home and will become a regular on the Llechfan.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

So after a long time of not being able to easily set a manual loco to plod around quite nicely I decided to take a sledge hammer to my track bed and level it...

Seriously for those who are just starting to build their railways, get the track bed right the first time this is important or you'll end up like me, forever hitting bits of it with a great big hammer...

To give an idea on how much the top end has been lowered, the track in this photo used to be about half an inch above the MYOB, its now about two inches below it.