Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 am

Watching with interest!
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:06 am

Great work (as ever) Peter. I always admire your attention to detail.
I can't understand anyone not being fascinated by Emett's work. I can still remember an article in Railway Modeller many moons ago showing a representation on 16.5mm track (0 scale??).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 am

ge_rik:119194 wrote: I can't understand anyone not being fascinated by Emett's work.

Rik
I'm afraid that I am totally unable to understand why anyone would be interested!

I can and do admire Peter's modelling skills in building them, of course, but I'm always left wondering, "Why?".

However I'm not criticising, 'each to his own' I guess. :)
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 am

Working lever frame in the signal box Peter?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:52 am

philipy:119202 wrote:
ge_rik:119194 wrote: I can't understand anyone not being fascinated by Emett's work.

Rik
I'm afraid that I am totally unable to understand why anyone would be interested!

I can and do admire Peter's modelling skills in building them, of course, but I'm always left wondering, "Why?".

However I'm not criticising, 'each to his own' I guess. :)
Hi Philip
I guess you're not too keen on Heath Robinson's 'machines' then, either? I find those equally fascinating. I also really like automata of any description as well - eg http://www.mechanical-toys.com/Automata%20mainpage.html and if I had time I'd start making my own. I used to work with a chap who was a semi professional automata maker - he combined engineering with art in the most imaginative, creative and slightly off the wall ways.

Sorry Peter, a bit of thread drift here

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 pm

More detailing on the station building today..... I have found a way to make downpipe..... just as I made fuel pipeline a while ago. Galvanised wire inside a plastic tube, allowing just enough flex to put the 'S' shape under the gutter. Slightly larger diameter pipe and screw-eyes make convincing support brackets fixing it to the wall.

A quick grey primer to give a key to the acrylic paint and it is ready for finishing. I masked the roof so that I can apply the black plastic 'slates' direct to the support sheet...

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 pm

This is just for you Philip...

Rowland Emett OBE, (awarded in 1978 for Services to Art and Science) was better known in the mid 20th Century when his work was frequently seen as advertising and promotional material.
He was possibly the first to make humorous model railways based on his own cartoons. He built a working layout, 'Emettland' which toured many department stores and exhibition halls. Coincidentally approx. 16mm scale!

Following on from this we now enjoy such things as, 'Thomas the Tank Engine', 'Ivor the Engine', 'Trumpton', 'Tugs' etc.... so I think you can see how humour in railway modelling has developed and attracted countless thousands of new, young, enthusiasts into the hobby.

Emett was a man ahead of his time and should be a regarded as a national treasure.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:13 pm

The building is looking great Peter, great trick with the pipe work.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am

The building looks superb. Well done.

I recall watching a Rowland Emett style layout at the Warley model railway exhibition many years ago. It was a breath of fresh air and incredibly well modelled.

It was popular and all those who saw it seemed to have a smile on their face. I certainly enjoyed it.

Ian

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 am

ge_rik:119210 wrote: Hi Philip
I guess you're not too keen on Heath Robinson's 'machines' then, either? I find those equally fascinating. I also really like automata of any description as well - eg http://www.mechanical-toys.com/Automata%20mainpage.html and if I had time I'd start making my own. I used to work with a chap who was a semi professional automata maker - he combined engineering with art in the most imaginative, creative and slightly off the wall ways.

Sorry Peter, a bit of thread drift here

Rik
Automata are interesting because of the mechanicals necessary to make them work, and that brings us back to the Walking Man, etc. I have myself made a 4mm man who loaded a threshing machine, not to mention the door on my signalman's loo, which fall into roughly the same bracket, IMO, but isn't a million miles different to operating signals and points. i.e an attempt to enhance a model of a real railway.
However, Emmett and Robinson are closer to Picasso's 'art' ( which I don't like) or even so-called artists like Tracey Emmen, inventing things which cannot work , or don't look like they are supposed to or are simply pointless.

Sorry, rant over... I'll shut up now! :oops:

My apologies, Peter.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 pm

IanC:119225 wrote:
I recall watching a Rowland Emett style layout at the Warley model railway exhibition many years ago. It was a breath of fresh air and incredibly well modelled.

It was popular and all those who saw it seemed to have a smile on their face. I certainly enjoyed it.

Ian
I'm glad you enjoyed the Emett layout which is one of the Warley Club's own layouts. I designed it, and with a couple of other members, we built it. It shows a few original working locos made in 1967. The majority of the stock was made by me too. This layout is still available for exhibitions.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 pm

looking good peter and great barge boards on the end of your station very good .I also love the detail on the guttering looks ace

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Today's efforts on my signal box have been to construct the steps, handrail, fuel storage (for stove) underneath the steps and to make a base with timber planking at the front of the box and stone slabs at the sides.....

Also the guttering and downpipe exactly as I did on the station building..

A coat of grey primer and the addition of a removable roof, just in case Grant drops in next time he is passing and has time to show me what goes inside a signal box!!!!!

I did make a stove to keep my staff warm during the harsh Welsh winters...

A quick site check to see how well they fit in on their platform...

.....and finally (for today) part of the roof slated using black plasticard as I have described earlier in this thread when working on my engine shed....

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:55 am

Beautiful job Peter, and they will sit perfectly in that setting. Regarding inside signal boxes, I am led to believe that the first priority is :--
Then possibly some levers.
Grant. :lol: :oops:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:02 am

Lovely work on both of them, Peter.
Thanks, as always, for sharing.
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:20 am

Peter Butler:119227 wrote:
I'm glad you enjoyed the Emett layout which is one of the Warley Club's own layouts.  I designed it, and with a couple of other members, we built it.  It shows a few original working locos made in 1967.  The majority of the stock was made by me too.  This layout is still available for exhibitions.
Yes, I did enjoy it. Very much. But then I do have a quirky sense of humour sometimes so I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise :) I used to attend a lot of shows at Warley and it is one of the few layouts I can remember. It would be good to see it again sometime.

The signal box (cabin?) and station building are looking really good. It's going to be a magnificent station when it's finished.

Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:54 pm

WOW!!!!! 100,000 views and counting....
I can't believe how well my thread has been received by members and guests, I feel like I have just won an Oscar!

In the time honoured way I would like to thank my parents, without whom.... you know the rest, my teachers who gave up on me ever achieving anything, my wife who is always saying...' why don't you spend more time in your modelling shed and leave me alone with the dogs?' (I made that one up) and my two sons who don't give a s**t.

I am seriously grateful to everyone who watches this thread and adds comments to help me on my way. I would encourage all guests to join the Forum so we can share your railway models and achievements too. Everyone on here is always willing to answer questions and assist in so many ways to help you start your own garden railway..... As Confucius said.... 'even the longest journey begins with just one step'

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:23 pm

100,001 do I win a prize?
Top modelling that's why Peter! Love the guttering brackets, wish I' d thought of that. Have pjnched ideas from your thread and will probably continue to do so.
Not wishing to reopen the Emmett thread but, if a friend of mine was thinking of buying a book to look at the drawings. My friend always liked the Ronald Searle type of thing and likes the historic quirkiness of it, what would you recommend?
I have Mother in Law's Festival of Britain guide but no mention of Oyster Creek but plentyof adverts extolling the virtues of smoking :D

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 pm

bazzer42:119256 wrote: Not wishing to reopen the Emett thread but, if a friend of mine was thinking of buying a book to look at the drawings. My friend always liked the Ronald Searle type of thing and likes the historic quirkiness of it, what would you recommend?
I have Mother in Law's Festival of Britain guide but no mention of Oyster Creek but plentyof adverts extolling the virtues of smoking  :D
Many thanks for your response, much appreciated!
Emett books are usually available from a Google search.... ABE Books, Rowland Emett... there are about 25 to choose from and they are all worth a look. You don't have to pay lots for a decent copy but some are more sought after than others. 'The Early Morning Milk Train' is a good starting point. I have no experience on the Searle cartoons so can't advise.
If you have the Festival of Britain, Pleasure Gardens Guide, the 'Oyster Creek Railway' is featured on pages 22/23.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks Peter, I have the early morning milk train on an ebay watch, leastways my friend has! The guide I have is for the main festival but will check those pages just in case. I think the Searle books were "Down wiv school" etc they were dated even when I was at old fashioned grammar school doing latin but still struck a chord.