North Avenue Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:42 am

Those buildings really work well as a group... Great photos - bags of atmosphere without a train in sight! Looking forward to the night shots...

Andrew.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:01 pm

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 pm

busy times on the north avenue line .I got married last year re done the kitchen and other work on the house has taken up a lot of my time and the railway has fallen in to disrepair have now managed to get out in the garden and get a lot of it sorted out.The scrap yard has moved the windmill rebuilt again due to heavy winds and a drunken party where a guest fell in to it one evening.the old coal mine is looking good with everything rusting up well and more stones added and more planting I have also moved one of the cottages and the brewery. my station that has been outside 3 years now needs a bit of tlc to the roof and a few of my other buildings need a little go over with some pva and a little tidy up.i am planning on taking up all the buildings and station and redoing the roads and putting in proper lighting the barratry lights are not fairing so well.i will post more pictures up of all this in the next few weeks.i have also finally go a train running around my line (I will try and post a video )I decided to just use my lgb stianz. the stianz goes quite well around my line and its quite nice sat watching it in the garden with a beer.i will change the stianz at a later date I may modify it to make it look more English.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Well done Jim, good to hear the house is finished so you can concentrate on the important work now!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:57 pm

Nice photos Jim, railway looks like it's been there for years with all the little bits of growth. You've certainly got a lot of detail there, the N.A.L. water tank with its weathering job certainly caught my eye, along with many other things. Glad your getting time now for your railway,
Grant.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 pm

no pics this eve but a fun weekend was had on the north avenue line .we had family around for dinner we sat and ate outside with the train running around the garden for 6 or 7 hours with only a few derailments' will update with more pics tomorrow as a lot has changed and I have a lot of repairs to do the bridge I built is far to tight so this needs to be rebuilt and made wider ,the scrap yard is coming on well and lots of plants seam to be growing over the scrap yard and its looking very good

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:37 am

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

repairs

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:48 pm

so iv been busy the scrapyard is starting too look rather good
the windmill cottage is holding up well only had to paint the roof this building has moved from the village
the pump on the windmill is rusting well and the windmill is a joy to watch spinning in the garden

the track is also looking good I do need to bed the rest in with some rollands mix some plants have grown in it .I have no idea what they are but they seam to grow anywhere you rip a bit up and replant it

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 pm

the coal mine is also looking good a few plants added and lots of stones

im very pleased with the coal mine its had nearly maintenance and I keep adding rusty screw metal shavings etc I find at work to help it look a bit more old and worn

the water tower has been moved and changed just have to make a ladder and find a bit of rubber as a spout / fill up point .
the original feet on the water tower rotted out and it was bought down by gale force winds

iv made a small bit of fence from wire and hard wood posts iv got a massive bag of bits I can use as posts and am going to make some more fencing

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm

the pub is doing great and is one of the first buildings I made the windows need glueing back in and a qwick repaint on the roof and it will be like new .other parts/buildings are not doing great as you will see from the pictures the roads I will take up and completely redo as well as the roof on the station and the chip shop.the station will get extended and made longer with a goods area.
as you can see some of my line has not fared so well and I am going to have to rebuild this whole area .I will rebuild this next mouth and will fit lights to all the buildings.these all had solor lights but again these haven't lasted.iv learn a far bit and will rebuild and try again so no harm done most of the buildings have only failed on the roofs and there outside all the time so I think iv done quite well some of the buildings are three years old.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 am

Your buildings have great character, especially the red brick one with the lean-to and cobbled frontage. No matter how much people say about plywood, even exterior grade, I don't think it will last long in our climate, and rather than spend time re-building every few years, I prefer to use materials more likely to withstand the test of time. If it is just the roof which needs attention, try black Plastikard sheet scribed into slate size sections and laid in strips. My engine shed is done this way and has stood up so far.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm

thanks for the reply peter I have some plasicard and I will probably use your idea for the station roof which is mdf and has survived but the tiles I stuck on have not they where meant to be able to use outside but have broken up completely. The station platform is only wood and I will build it from concrete this time.one plywood roof has failed think this is because I dident seal the edge. the other roofs I put lagging tape on or it was osb board sealed again with lagging tape. I use plywood a lot at work and its not as good too use outside now over the past 10 or so years its gone down in quality the main reason for this is they changed the glue that holds the ply together .its now water based and does not hold the thin layers together as well it even starts to fail when you cut it now.iv got very old bits of ply and if you cut them you can smell the glue in it .

philipy

Re: repairs

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

jim@NAL:119044 wrote: some plants have grown in it .I have no idea what they are but they seam to grow anywhere you rip a bit up and replant it
Jim,
It's called "Mind your own business", "Babies Tears" and several other names. It can be a right pain to keep under control, if you aren't careful.
Philip

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 pm

thank you .I like the name Mind your own business it grows very well and quickly too it looks like the short of thing that would grown around a pond or somewhere wet

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 pm

a bridge made and another water tower

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:59 pm

That's a good, chunky timber construction Jim, given a good coat of varnish it should last you a while.