Norinoo Jct. Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Dwayne,

That's fantastic, I absolutely love this type of construction. The Rio Grande would be proud of it.

That dog is definitely making a comment, I can hear it all the way across the Atlantic!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:39 am

Andrew, Peter... thanks for the comments. The mine siding is progressing as well as I had hoped.

My dog Hope would prefer I be playing with her instead of working on the railroad.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:03 am

A little bit of progress today on the siding to serve Figment Mine...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2561243144

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:52 am

I wish I could see the pictures, but I just refuse to use facebook. Sorry.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:19 am

LNR:118483 wrote:I wish I could see the pictures, but I just refuse to use facebook. Sorry.
Grant.
I've been debating on posting exactly those same words myself.
Philip

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:14 am

Me too! Bet it looks nice though from other comments

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:24 am

I also refuse to subscribe to Facebook but I can view the pictures. Usually though a large pop-up blocks most of the image so I am not getting the best results. It would be far better to post them on the Forum please.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Your trestles and woodwork are beautiful. The only thing I can think of that would improve the looks would be your rail crossing a little stream of running water.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Using FB works better for me. Photo uploads are quick, unlike a photo hosting service such as Photobucket which is more often sketchy than not. And if I am able to get a photo uploaded there then the process requires copying and pasting links to my thread back here. Time wasted on my part.

The reason most folk may seem adverse to FB is because of all the drama they've likely heard ensues when people post their personal life garbage online. My personal FB account is devoid of friends so I wouldn't have to listen to BS religion or politics. I never visit my personal page since I set up a specific page for the Norinoo Junction Railway which I access directly via a bookmark.

Anyways, for those who do want to view progress on the NJRwy just check the Norinoo Junction Railway Facebook page from time to time.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:16 am

Here's an overall presentation of the Norinoo Junction Railway's current track plan (not to scale). All track and switches are hand laid code 250 aluminum rail on 1/2" x 1/2" x 4-1/2" ties ripped on my table saw. There are five straight switches, three curved switches and one wye.

The plan originally started with just the main loop which is about 50 feet in total length. The siding at Brendita was added before the loop was finished. I kept the loop level as I run a live steam Ida on occasion. The passing siding at Hope eventually was added as was the small turntable and the two tracks for engine servicing.

But since operations is my primary interest I cast a coveting glance at the region down by the small pond. And by down, it was literal in that it was about 8" below the main loop. This spur splits off at Norinoo Junctio and drops the 8 inches before reaching Mags which was the end of the line for a couple of months. Total length of the spur was about 25 feet. Another bout of covetousness lead to adding about another 20 feet of track beyond Mags to the new town of Chancy.

The recent addition of the Figment Mine siding adds about another 15 feet of track.

In summary, I hadn't planned on the layout having this much track when I began laying track back in February. Things just sorta evolved and got out of hand in a good way. Not sure how that happened. :?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:10 am

Hi Dwayne,
Seem to remember you opening the Norinoo Junction Railway, saying something along the lines of "this will be a smaller railway than the previous one, which should make maintenance easier". Marvelous how once you start laying track, ideas just expand. Should be plenty of traffic movement opportunities with the current track plan.
Grant.
PS Chancy would surely benefit with some future expansion ;) ;) ;)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:16 am

Impressive progress. Really like the trestles and cribbing.
Just wondering how you're going to stabilise the dirt, or does it tend to bake rock hard?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:50 am

Just catching up on this, love the trestle bridge and track winding round those scale mountains :lol:

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Grant, the previous layout had as much track as the current layout but didn't have the passing loops or customer sidings as this layout. Had I gone on with it would have exceeded what I've currently have. As for extending the line beyond Chancy it's doubtful. As is I think the layout is at a manageable size to maintain and operate

Rik, the dirt has packed down fairly tightly after a few waterings. The periwinkle and creeping charlie groundcovers are expanding at a good rate and by the end of summer should have covered most of the bare soil.

TTG, thanks. The trestle on the Figment Mine siding turned out as I had hoped. :)

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi Dwayne,

Have you had much chance to try out the operational aspects of the railway yet? It's all looking very interesting.

I look forward to seeing it 'green over' and blend into the landscape.

All the best,

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:12 pm

I have Andrew. I'm still working on coming up with operation schemes and types of freight cars to achieve this. I can already see that I'll have a myriad of different operating sessions just by swapping freight between the various trackside customers.

In addition the track at Hope doubles as a condensed 3-2-2 Inglenook puzzle when other freight cars at customers there 'block' switching moves.

I can see spending hours upon hours switching and moving freight on this little layout. :)

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 am

Last October a trio of tankers were built using Ozark Miniature journals and Sierra Valley wheelsets. They were 'okay' but management never was really happy with them.

Today they were disassembled and the journals and wheels were reused to build a trio of new, shorter cars to be entered into service as soon as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2561243144

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Glad to hear the operating side is fullfilling expectations Dwayne. It's every bit as important as the construction for an operator.

The new wagons look just the job.

jabsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

What happened here?

Post by jabsteam » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:54 am

OK, found this post today, but unable to open any of the Facebook pictures. It says the page has been removed… :(
No further postings since June 20.
What happened with this RR?
Jim Bruneau
Accu. Plantation 0-4-2ST
Accu. WD Baldwin 4-6-0T
RH Custom American 2-6-2ST
Regner Chaloner
DJB Robert 0-4-0T- coal