RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Quick test of the track (few wobbles because the ballast is not finished):

https://youtu.be/PLu6rhJ9Md8

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I have been experimenting with my auto-uncoupler idea and have moved on to using magnets so once I have it all set up to my liking I will post a video. The benefit of using magnets over my original design is the loco can move backwards/forwards over the uncoupling area unlike with the block of wood idea which would catch on the copper rod attached to the chopper.

While uncoupling is nearly sorted I need to have the points automated so I do not have to duck under the tree and operate them manually each time to run around the train. As this is a run-round loop the points only need to be set one way each time.

This idea has been used elsewhere on my line for a number of years so that trains always go round loops the same way. First part is the assembly (all stainless steel so it does not rust) which is attached to the point:

With the point in position you drill down through the wood and then enlarge the hole so you can fit a tube (I had copper pipe in the garage) which stops gravel from blocking movement:

You then have to fiddle about with getting the right tension, however, once found you just screw the other end of the spring to the deck:

Completely hidden once finished:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 pm

That's very neat!

I'm tempted to try it at my upper terminus where the point at the entrance to the loop is in a very awkward location. It looks like it would work brilliantly for 90% of my operations but would rule out passing trains there by running one straight into the loop while another is in the platform. I may try to fit a conventional lever in a convenient location...

Enough about me - I'm really enjoying what you're doing and and very much looking forward to seeing a video of your automated operation...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 15, 2016 6:15 pm

A patched together video of my testing, however, it gives you an idea of what I am trying to achieve:

https://youtu.be/rVYYOFHpftQ

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun May 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Wow, very slick bit of uncoupling on the run there Tom Tom, the Great Eastern would have been proud of that! :D
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 am

Neat... don't think it'll work with my link & pin couplers :lol:

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon May 16, 2016 3:14 am

Neat... don't think it'll work with my link & pin couplers :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon May 16, 2016 7:47 pm

You can say that again Dwayne ;)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Just been catching up with the thread. Really like the fine control the inertia wagon gives, coupled with (ooops sorry) the auto-uncouplers and your spring-loaded points it makes for some impressive running.

Next phase - computer control of the transmitter.... ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Very impressive! It was enough to make me consider converting to choppers for a moment... I'll just have to get really proficient with my shunting pole...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 17, 2016 6:57 pm

The running session was a bit of a fiddle so I can see most people not being that impressed (you get the camera set up and then things always go wrong).  I never got to film a complete run around from start/finish as the loco can go into the station either forwards/backwards as the uncoupler arms attached to the choppers are bent so that only one hits the block of wood when traveling over it.

It might be my version of the inertia wagon but it's not great at slow shunting speeds (works well once going though so if you have a continuous run then it's ideal).  Once the Lady version of the SSP slomo is released and fitted to my locos my railway setup will work better I think.
ge_rik:118104 wrote: Next phase - computer control of the transmitter....  ;)
Rik
As IT is my job Rik I try and steer clear from technology railway wise as it gives me a break from it, however, I might do something clever with signal control as I have recently been given an Arduino device which allows control of just about anything electronic:

https://www.arduino.cc/

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 am

Tom, couldn't help but notice the excellent control you have with your loco already, that video is intriguing to watch. I guess the Slo-Mo will make it that much more predictable.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 18, 2016 12:08 pm

LNR:118139 wrote:Tom, couldn't help but notice the excellent control you have with your loco already, that video is intriguing to watch. I guess the Slo-Mo will make it that much more predictable.
Grant.
This video shows off the slow running ability of the wagon better:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Excellent control there, even the fairly tight loop has no effect on the running.
I can hear the wind gusting in your area but it appears to be dry there. The call of the Gulls is a nice background noise added to the Chuffer and whistle.... you have it all.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon May 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Apologies if I keep harping on about my uncoupling ideas, but I think I have finally cracked it!

The raised block of wood in the middle of track had to go as not only did it prevent my Regner from running due to fouling the chassis but yesterday I discovered that the firebox on my Riverdale Amy also cannot pass due to the height.

If you are a SMT subscriber you would of seen in the latest issue the article of using a solenoid motor under the track to lift a ramp to uncouple a modified Accucraft chopper coupling.  Great idea, but I would need my setup to be R/C which would be achievable as Rik has proved on here using Deltang/Picaxe equipment with great results.

But before I started investing in this idea I had one last look at the Neodymium magnets I bought a while back for magnetic uncoupling.  With the addition of ball bearings attached to the modified choppers and the magnet raised a little higher it finally works:

ImageImage

Once chemically blackened the couplers will look like they have counter-weights fitted to them
Last edited by tom_tom_go on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:32 pm

We have had a few posts on here recently regarding where our railway folk go for their number two's so I was wondering if this passes as a workman WC:

I decided this coach was far too large for my little line so it has been relegated to the sidelines for staff shelter and storage:

The timber sleeper supports will weather over time along with the coach.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:27 am

That is neat - and looks realistic - don't some choppers have a counterbalance weight like that?

I've been trying to figure out the mechanics (or whatever the equivalent is for magnetic flux). Interesting that it uncouples at the LH end of the magnet  - I suppose at the RH end and in the middle the magnetism is pulling the ball bearing, and hence the chopper, downwards???

Fascinating. Always something to learn about really diverse stuff in this hobby. I think Railway Modelling should be on the school curriculum........

Rik

EDIT: PS - Just been thinking. if the magnet was a bit shorter (or transverse), would it be able to uncouple two choppers? Interesting.

PPS - Just seen Tom's comment about counterbalance weights in the original post - clearly thinking along similar lines
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 am

Well I reckon that definitely qualifies as a workman's WC, the boss told the builder "don't make it too comfortable, so they don't stay too long"
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 pm

ge_rik:118784 wrote:That is neat - and looks realistic - don't some choppers have a counterbalance weight like that?
I could not find any examples online, however, I think it has been mentioned on here in the past that there are prototypical examples (Swift Sixteen model a bob weight on their offering of a chopper coupling).
ge_rik:118784 wrote: EDIT: PS - Just been thinking. if the magnet was a bit shorter (or transverse), would it be able to uncouple two choppers? Interesting.
I have managed to get both choppers to uncouple using one magnet with each chopper having a ball bearing attached to it, however, it requires the arms connected to the ball bearing to be bent inwards towards the sole bar back a fair bit so they do not collide when magnetised.  One chopper is simpler in operation and have not experienced uncoupling mishaps so far with just one in use.

And now for something completely different:

Last edited by tom_tom_go on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:24 pm

excellent way of coupling / uncoupling I like that a lot .the rusty wc is great too