Auto Log-in

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Auto Log-in

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Is it just something that happens to me or do others suffer this same problem?
I am the sole user of my laptop so have no need to log out each time I shut down. At the head of this Forum page is a facility which says I can set to automatically log in each time I use the site..... let me tell you.... IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!
Yes, I agree, it's a small matter in the scale of things which can go wrong but is is annoying when I am offered the choice and then denied it.
Is it just me?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:56 pm

It occasionally happens to me as well, can any of the forum admins look into this as it is slightly annoying

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Which browser are you using and do you have it set to delete the history and/or clear the cashe when you close it or close down your pc... On some browsers this will clear the cookie that allows the forum to recognise you.

You could try a different browser from the one you usually use. If you are using internet explorer its not very secure anyway so you are better changing. I use Firefox and have no problems....
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:45 pm

I think it's happened twice to me. I'm using Chrome as my browser by the way.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi Annie, I am using Chrome too..... is that the problem?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Well Peter it happened around two days ago and it's been fine since then. I thought it was some strange Windows 10 glitch.
What has Reality done for you lately?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:50 am

To clarify it does happen to me occasionally but I can't remember the last time. Peter I would definately try Firefox. I had problems with Crome and still do because it wants to keep settings I don't want. All part of the google aim to take over the world I think. It may also be something to do with your antivirus. Some of the programme autoset to clear out your history and cookies on exiting a browser. Generally this only happens to me when I use Ccleaner or a similar programme which is why I think its down to your browser.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks for that advice Barry, I do have other issues elsewhere in the system so that might well be the solution to them all.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:11 pm

I am now using Firefox (thank you Barry) and immediately one of the other quirks of the system has been corrected. I had a most annoying 'step down' whenever I selected a subject on the Forum which meant that each time I hovered the cursor over a particular line of text, before having chance to 'click,' the text would drop down by several lines, causing me to select something quite different to that which I intended. That has now stopped!
I'll let you know about the initial 'Log In' problem but feel confident that should be cured too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:44 am

A new day and I'm still logged in...... result!
Google Chrome appears to have been causing me the problems so thanks to Barry I am now a happy bunny.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:54 pm

That's good to hear. Glad your sorted.
Barry

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Oh, oh...... another problem has develloped since changing to Firefox.
On some video attachments there appears only a black square and the wording.. 'A plugin is needed to display this content'.
What is that all about?
If I view the same item using 'Outlook' I go back to the original faults but can view these attachments with no restriction.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 am

You need to install a universal video player. I use VLC mediaplayer from Videolan. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html
Just click on 'Installer Package'

Basically vlc will play just about any video type there is. I have used it for years.

Any probs let me know....
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Aaaaaarrrghhhhhh!!!!!!!! What now?
The 'step down' issue is back. When I select any subject on the Forum, within seconds the whole page drops and several lines of text seem to disappear beneath the bottom of the screen. This has been a problem with Google Chrome (and still is) but it seemed to go away for a while with Firefox.... now it's back!
Should I send letters in future?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Peter,
I don't know if its the same thing, but occasionally the banner advert at the top of the screen takes a few seconds to load, and when it finally resolves itself, it forces the rest of the page down a few lines. If so I dont think there is anything you can do about it.

For me the delay doesn't always occur but when it does I suspect that it is due to the net connection speed locally.i.e if the BT system is being heavily used it drops the line speed and takes a noticeable time to load the graphic.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks Philip, that is interesting and might be possible to confirm as we have signed up to a new faster broadband system which should improve our supply dramatically. This will be set up within a few days so I can monitor and compare.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Well I hope the faster broadband solves your problem. Other than that its difficult to diagnose from a distance. Perhaps theres someone local who could visit and have a look.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:33 pm

sstjc:115455 wrote: Perhaps theres someone local who could visit and have a look
There was a brilliant young man in our village who has resolved all of my previous IT problems. He was so helpful and supportive I could rely on him for all of these issues. Notice I say, 'was'...... unfortunately he was killed in a motor car accident not long before Christmas and his passing has left a void in the life of the village, as well as being a good friend.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Peter. But let us know how you get on with the faster broadband and we'll see what we can do to help. My wife has a problem with slow broadband where she lives and it does cause pages to do odd things so hopefully faster broadband will resolve most of your issues.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com