Deltang beginners' guide

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Deltang beginners' guide

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Just posted a beginners' guide to Deltang on my blog.

http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2015/08 ... ltang.html

I'm hoping it's reasonably understandable - but it does seem a bit wordy. Not sure, though, how I could have got the info across with fewer words.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Top stuff, interesting reading. Thanks for putting all the info in one place. Now all you need to do is explain the 1000's of configuration options! ;-)
Put that light out!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Super job Rik, I can feel my confidence building already!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:09 am

Brilliant Rik, thanks very much. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:03 pm

+1 from me Rik - I hope this helps people looking to get into the world of control that Deltang offers.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks Rick,
I am currently fitting a deltag system to a loco and your info will be most helpful.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:37 am

philipy:112954 wrote:Brilliant Rik, thanks very much. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Hi Philip
It might take a little while longer to put something together for the other parts. I'd already started on this intro and so had the basic structure and some images already prepared. I do have some other material I can draw upon for the other parts, but it might take a while just to figure out how best to explain things without making the articles either too lengthy or too sketchy.

Rik
------------------------

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:29 am

My top tip when fitting deltang is to write on the chassis of the loco the model and software version. If you decided to make an alteration to a setting (max speed, what direction is forward, battery cut-off voltage etc) its much easier to read the info from the chassis than try and ID the board with its tiny text! also in some of my models its not that easy to get at the board now they are complete, its a right pain to dissemble the model just to read tiny text!

It a shame there isn't a built in way that the board could tell you its model and software, something like 1 second after pairing the board flashes its id? maybe ill drop a mail to David T it might be possible on future versions.
Put that light out!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:52 am

daveyrd11:112999 wrote:My top tip when fitting deltang is to write on the chassis of the loco the model and software version. If you decided to make an alteration to a setting (max speed, what direction is forward, battery cut-off voltage etc) its much easier to read the info from the chassis than try and ID the board with its tiny text! also in some of my models its not that easy to get at the board now they are complete, its a right pain to dissemble the model just to read tiny text!

It a shame there isn't a built in way that the board could tell you its model and software, something like 1 second after pairing the board flashes its id? maybe ill drop a mail to David T it might be possible on future versions.
That's really useful. Like you I have various different versions of Rxs and have kept a list of what's in where - but lists get lost

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:39 pm

daveyrd11:112999 wrote:My top tip when fitting deltang is to write on the chassis of the loco the model and software version.
Excellent idea, thanks.
Philip

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:30 pm

I think you and my wife may have a falling out lol. :) Ive wanted to try this system for a while and i think you have just convinced me. hope your getting good comission :0
'Professional Bodge artist '