The (WH)WHR goes Heritage

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Wed May 14, 2014 6:56 am

Hi Andrew,

Not sure if you read GardenRail but in the latest edition 237 on page 44 there is a write-up on 'Tooting'. This appears to be the sister loco of 'Joy' and if I'm correct in thinking 'Cordelia'. That would give us the build of 3 that you mention, though 'Tooting' is 45mm. Now if only I could trace what happened to 'Cordelia' that my Great Grandfather first purchased..............

Steve

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm

DVT Dweller:100627 wrote:Hi Andrew,

Not sure if you read GardenRail but in the latest edition 237 on page 44 there is a write-up on 'Tooting'. This appears to be the sister loco of 'Joy' and if I'm correct in thinking 'Cordelia'. That would give us the build of 3 that you mention, though 'Tooting' is 45mm. Now if only I could trace what happened to 'Cordelia' that my Great Grandfather first purchased..............

Steve
Thanks for the tip-off Steve, I don't often buy Garden Rail but got hold of a copy at lunchtime today. What a coincidence! Yes, definitely looks like the same loco, nice in green, and good to see it looks just fine with a centre-buffer. I wonder whether "Tooting" or "Cordelia" might surface as a result of the article? Perhaps I should drop Tag a line re "Joy"...

Once I've got mine up and running you'll be very welcome to give her a run for old times' sake should you ever find yourself in Bristol.

All the best,

Andrew.

Tony
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tony » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 am

Beautiful locomotives, just got hold of some heritage loco's myself, canbe great fun and have a charm of there own.
Tony

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 am

Hello again,

Well, it's been a while since I added anything to this thread, but I thought you might like to know that "Joy", the freelance John Turner tender loco is now up and running thanks to a trip to Paul Miles in Taunton who has overhauled the electrics and fitted new R/C...

My first attempt at raising steam was disastrous - I got in a muddle with the two gas valves and suffered various other setbacks, but I'm gradually getting used to her and had a very pleasant run last night. The light wasn't great, the sun had disappeared behind the house, but I did manage to get some photos:

She looks good, doesn't she?! I need to paint the two wires leading to the headlamp, but I love the amber glow. I had the rear lamp changed so it's also amber (it was red) because she'll have to run half of her trains tender first on my turntable-less end-to-end line, but I think she looks surprisingly good like that, very light railway.

I'm still getting used to running her, and in particular to keeping sufficient steam in the boiler (she has a huge boiler and I think the gas tank's pretty big, but she seems to have a voracious appetite for both gas and water), but when all's well she runs beautifully. It's a little beneath her dignity, but she's so free-running and controllable that she'd actually make a great shunter - fortunately for her the different height and style of buffers/couplings rule that out, but happily they don't seem to cause much of a problem in normal running. The buffers are sprung, which I think helps in that regard, but they do get awfully hot, which can make running round interesting!

Anyway, she's a lovely loco and I'm looking forward to running her some more. I'm going to try her out with a (heavier) passenger train at the weekend, and might even attempt a double-header with Caledonia "Sir Donald" if I can persuade one of the children to lend a hand...

All the best,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:47 am

Now that´s a beautiful loco! When did you get that one?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:14 am

kandnwlr:111313 wrote:Now that´s a beautiful loco! When did you get that one?
Glad you like her - I do! The full story's at the top of the thread, but essentially she's one of the pair of JT locos entrusted to my care last year. I've only just got round to getting the dead electrics sorted, but I expect she'll be making more frequent appearances on my (WH)WHR thread from now on...

Cheers,

Andrew.