Struggling to get my old loco running smoothly

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Struggling to get my old loco running smoothly

Post by planty » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 am

I got some help getting my MMS loco up and running after some cylinder changes (thanks mainly to DLRDan on here!), but after a summer of running it still has a problem.

The symptoms are this. It steams up fine (gas burner) and upon releasing the regulator it runs great for about 20-30 seconds and the slows to a halt (even off track). Close the regulator, allow the steam to build and it'll go through the same cycle.

Any ideas from experience of what might be causing this or things o can try to diagnose the problem?
--
The Methley Joint Railway - http://www.jasonplant.com/Pages/Railway.aspx

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:57 pm

It sounds like you are running out of steam, is the safety valve opening to early. Or are the cylinders to tight?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:03 pm

How much oil are you getting through ? If there are no visible leaks then it could be that there isn't enough oil going into the cylinders. Also try opening the regulator while in neutral to check for leaks in the reversing block. The other one is to listen to the exhaust beat, if its quite loud with no load (not on a rolling road) then there may be something in an axle bearing, I had a feather once that did a similar thing.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail