faller playtrain steam type looking loco.

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

faller playtrain steam type looking loco.

Post by jay1976 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:14 pm

quite liked the look of these play train locos so bought a set for £10..
my boy likes it just got to figure out how to fit rc control if its possible...
coachs i do have the roofs and the station,i plan to fit a driver as well.. i have a few other faller locos as well as 2 railcars and being plastic are pretty ok for my 4yr old and 2 yr old to handle without worry of breaking anything..

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Very nice and suitable for young hands.
Well done for starting them early.
Don't worry too much about rc, my toddler worked out toggle switches very quickly and never seems to be more than 12 inches from his loco at any time he is playing with it.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:23 pm

This is not a criticism of this particular thread, but please let me know if I am the only one who receives messages which are too wide to fit on one screen.
Some items are within the width of the screen and yet others need me to move the left/right option in order to read them.
Is this an issue with my own PC or is it due to the way they are posted..?
Sorry if this seems out of place but it is not uncommon to me and a good example of my question.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Works fine for me Peter.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Splendidly quirky!
The scrolling sideways only happens when I am zoomed right in for me Peter.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 am

yes the 2 year old girl worked out toggle switch on a small 040 diesel loco i have pretty quickly...
my 4year old worked out rc ok as he has driven my red diesel hglw loco a few times at open days as well as on own line.... both like the railway in the garden but both know not to touch my more prized stuff or anything hot..
I have noticed as well some pics are a bit big and i have to scroll sideways a little..and yes my thread is 1 of them but my other pics i posted the other day are ok...

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:28 am

The problem with the images are their large pixel size. The 3 linked here from photobucket are 1024 x 1820, 1024 x 576 & 1024 x 576 pixels. The recommended size for use in myfreeforums is 640 x 480 pixels.

Chris Cairns

steampig
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steampig » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 am

Saw that on Ebay but decided it was a bit too toy-like for me. A bargain - glad it's gone to a good home. The plastic does break though as testified by the amount of mangled Faller stuff that turns up and I buy (if the price is right). The breaks tend to be clean and not distorted; acetone works on a lot of it, Plastic Magic where it doesn't.

I have a (damaged of course) black goods loco from this series - it has an enclosed cab. R/c would be challenging even in that with the cab to hide stuff in. It might be possible to get 3xAAA cells into the boiler battery compartment for power (and weight) - unfortunately the battery-holders I acquired for that are slightly longer than the original single C-cell and I am unwilling to cut my example about at present.

But I am finding increasing joy in the gizmos that fit into the plastic track to stop and reverse the loco via its under-chassis switch. There should be some in your set there - have you tried them out? Sometimes I dream of fitting something like that to control a Mamod from the track!

Additional - I have two computers here both running the same Linux and Firefox. The one with the 16x9 screen displays the forum fitted to the screen, the one with the 4x3 screen fails to wrap the text of this and other sites as complained of. I think the screen-size is not getting correctly picked up or interpretted somewhere, but haven't tried to track it down. Use of the zoom (out) in Firefox can help with a tricky page, although the text gets reduced rather than re-wrapped

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:36 am

yes the set came with track direction thing i already use 1 with 1 of the railbuses when i run it on auto...
I found by looking if the plastic is cut out of the chassis under the boiler i may be able to get 4 AAA batterys under it fiit a charging socket somewhere..already tried a micro speed controller will fit in cab on 1 side and rc fits on cab floor and fit driver on it and it looks ok..

steampig
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steampig » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 am

I'd like to see pictures of that!

I'm living in the past - several years ago when the 2.4Ghz R/C cost an arm and a leg I started building my own around 433MHz receiver modules - as I can't do SMD (fingers, eyesight) the controllers I make tend to be large, although I can build them to fit available shape. Now it's got so small and cheap commercially I must be insane.

I have working R/C in a HIT-train loco - the most important lesson I learned was that 4xAAA NiMH don't give close enough to 5 volts for the data-recovery technique on the receiver module to work properly :( I know why but lack the courage to build my own 433Mhz receiver where my oscilloscope can't reach.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Peter Butler:106446 wrote:This is not a criticism of this particular thread, but please let me know if I am the only one who receives messages which are too wide to fit on one screen.
:oops: It's me!!!!! My screen had been set to 160% zoom and I didn't know how to alter it.
I should have begun using computers when I was a child.... trouble is they hadn't been invented then!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

I don't know Peter, Mr Babbage had invented his difference engine, don't think it had a screen though :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!