paint lifting on buildings

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

paint lifting on buildings

Post by cheshire » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:55 am

I have several buildings from Modeltown and British Outline Buildings. All were thoroughly washed with washing up liquid, primed with Halfords primer and then painted with either Pheonix precision paints or Humbrol enamel. After a year or so outside (and it wasn't a harsh winter) the paint is peeling and lifting. I am at a loss about how to prevent this. And also how to mend it. I have tried rubbing off the offending paint and repainting but within a few weeks it peels again. Should I strip the old paint off (and with what) and repaint, or does anyone know a better solution? Many thanks.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:54 am

Strip off with a stiff brush if possible, re clean, primer and start again, is probably your best option. Try a plastic primer if the buildings are resin.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:32 am

I used plastic bumper primer, a car product. Semi matt paints last longer than matt as matt get washed away slightly. I reckon 3 years and its time for a quick touch up. I did hear of a guy who used exterior masonry paints but I have no experience of this at all so I'm not sure. Sunlight and frost are the enemy. I'm still on Humbrol like I say with an spay car plastic primer underneath.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:10 pm

I have several Modeltown buildings on my line. The first ones weren't even primed just washed and painted. I used Revell Aqua Color paints, they seem to stick very well to the resin that Modeltown use. The first buildings i did have been outside now for 2 years and the paint is still ok. These days i still use Revell Aqua Color but prime first with Halfords Plastic Primer.
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Masonry paint's good on concrete buildings - mine are still in the garden (despite the railway having gone) and they're showing no signs of needing a repaint.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Using washing up liquid or other kitchen cleaner can leave residue on your model. This stuff keeps your hands soft but doesn't help paint to stick. Use decorator's soft soap or similar. I get mine from B+Q it's a yellow liquid.
As these are chunky resin kits you can use an etch primer but make sure all the wash water has dried up and make sure you leave the primer at least 24 hours.
This may not be the answer for your problem but it works for me.
Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)