Leader problem?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Leader problem?

Post by tegfan railway » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 pm

OK I am still new to all this, I have a manual Ragleth and Leader Oh and a Mamod. Ragleth runs fine runs a treat. The Leader I have trouble lighting. I find when I light it through the smoke box door the flame is in the smoke box, sometimes it pops back to where it should be and promptly goes out.I find that if I block one of the gas air holes in the cab the flame pops and goes to where it should be if I hold my finger over the air hole for 10 or so seconds all settles and it runs like a watch. Any ideas?

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Your super heater is touching the poker burner and causing this. Once the super heater warms the burner will settle but while it is cold it will just keep popping out. Best thing to do it get the super heater out and just kink it away from the poker.

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Sir haydn:103602 wrote:Your super heater is touching the poker burner and causing this. Once the super heater warms the burner will settle but while it is cold it will just keep popping out. Best thing to do it get the super heater out and just kink it away from the poker.
Thanks for that, next question now is - how do I do this?