The Summerton Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

The layout's looking good, well done! The "spindly" track has a very run-down light railway, and the raised sections will look great once some vegetation's grown up about them. If you felt so inclined you could nail some treated 2x1 to the sides and then add fencing - I'm doing that on the non-ground level bits of my line and quite like the effect.

Keep up the good work!

Andrew.

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks Andrew.

-

Hey hey, I feel like a real garden railway modeller now - I've got my first big fat dollop of bird poo on the track!

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Finally a bit more action.
The loop boards and half the track in place, and the top station boards now down. The right hand turn of the three-way point will slant off back to the incoming track to produce a return loop.
However, before the track can go down I have to get the files and soldering iron out to make some interface bits to connect the flat bottom rail on the left to the bull head in the station.

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Nothing's happened for a year, due to weather. laziness, and frustration, etc. But the track and infrastructure has survived pretty well.

So decided to re-plan and scale down. Turned it into a simple 10m long loop so that I can now just either sit in the sun and watch the trains go around, or sit here at my computer desk and stare out of the window at...

(don't worry - it looks a lot better in real life than it does in the photo)

Last bit of track went into place this morning. And, amazingly the engine ran all of the way around without derailing. The wagons with the large (garden railway) flanges were happy too, but the little open wagon with the O gauge flanges didn't like one bit....some rail bending and this seems OK. However, the long wheel base, small flange wagon ain't having any of it! Time to play with compensation. Anyhow, the train has been running non-stop for an hour now so I think that the track is OK. It takes about two minutes to get around the loop at a very steady (1.5v) speed.

Just to the left of where the train is is a turnout - this is for phase two that will have a run off down the side of the garden to add a little more interest. But that is for much later - first I have to do some scenery:- put siding on the boards, ballast the track, add platform and station building, etc.[/img]

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Lookin' good! :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/