First time RC set-up- servos going crazy!
-
robbieg96
First time RC set-up- servos going crazy!
Hello,
I was hoping for some help. I am currently installing 2 channel RC to my live steam loco. This is all new to me, so I was looking for some help.
I am using a Spektrum DX5e TX and an Orange R615x Receiver. I have managed to bound this no problem.
I then plugged two servos into the channels on the receiver.
I have managed to get control of the servos using the sticks on the transmitter, but the servos were shaking and vibrating all over the place. Am I doing something wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Rob
I was hoping for some help. I am currently installing 2 channel RC to my live steam loco. This is all new to me, so I was looking for some help.
I am using a Spektrum DX5e TX and an Orange R615x Receiver. I have managed to bound this no problem.
I then plugged two servos into the channels on the receiver.
I have managed to get control of the servos using the sticks on the transmitter, but the servos were shaking and vibrating all over the place. Am I doing something wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Rob
- rebelego
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 211
- Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm
- Location: Norway
-
robbieg96
Hi rebelego-
Some more info-
I am using 2 HiTec HS-82mg servos with a 4.8v receiver battery pack.
I tried both servos in all the channels on the reciever and had similar problems on all. The servos did move when operating the sticks on the transmitter, however the servos buzzed and vibrated all over the place. One servo was however worse than the other.
I have not installed any of this equipment in my loco, i have just connected it up to check that it all works correctly.
Thanks,
Rob
Some more info-
I am using 2 HiTec HS-82mg servos with a 4.8v receiver battery pack.
I tried both servos in all the channels on the reciever and had similar problems on all. The servos did move when operating the sticks on the transmitter, however the servos buzzed and vibrated all over the place. One servo was however worse than the other.
I have not installed any of this equipment in my loco, i have just connected it up to check that it all works correctly.
Thanks,
Rob
-
steamie1
Story time.....Many years ago Futaba led the way. Hitec was the cheep alternative. The servos were regarded as rubbish. Then they got better. Futaba brought out small glider servos which were £44 each and the same size you have. Then when Hitec brought out HS81 servos all was well with the world of Radio Control. On the whole they are good servos but sometimes you get a dirty pot inside and it will hunt slightly. Good gear good results. Cheeper stuff and we have to accept some glitzing. If its really bad send it back or maybe use it for another application.
-
robbieg96
Thanks Steamie.
Being new to this is opted for the Hi-Tec servos as they are used on Roundhouse locos.
The servos seem to work, but they just jitter badly. I have been testing the system again and they seem better.
Here is a video i took to demonstrate-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9Wq-1ibAQ
Could it be i have a couple of faulty ones? Everything is new, and the battery is fully charged.
Thanks for the replies.
Being new to this is opted for the Hi-Tec servos as they are used on Roundhouse locos.
The servos seem to work, but they just jitter badly. I have been testing the system again and they seem better.
Here is a video i took to demonstrate-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9Wq-1ibAQ
Could it be i have a couple of faulty ones? Everything is new, and the battery is fully charged.
Thanks for the replies.
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
- TonyW
- Driver

- Posts: 1357
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
- Location: North Wales
- Contact:
...
Last edited by TonyW on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks
-
jim@NAL
- Driver

- Posts: 1142
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
- Location: haverhill suffok
I used to have a lot of rc cars I can remember this happening .it will happen if the transmitter it too close too the receiver and sevos and if the receiver or transmitter is very low on battery or if the receiver has a lose connection it could also be the Arial on the receiver is getting interference ie your Arial on the transmitter is not extended or the Arial on the receiver is getting interference .hope this helps I had rc cars for years and had this problem a few times .I have at least 5 or 6 transmitters that are sat in the loft if anyone would like 1 pm there going for free jest pay for postage
-
steamie1
-
robbieg96
- Chris Cairns
- Driver

- Posts: 2372
- Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I note that you bound the receiver with no servos plugged in.
Not sure if it will make any difference but the instructions for binding the Orange RX R615 is to have the servos plugged into the appropriate channels prior to plugging in the receiver battery. Worth giving this a try.
R615 instructions here - http://www.steffko-rcshop.de/home/28492 ... g_r615.pdf
Chris Cairns
Not sure if it will make any difference but the instructions for binding the Orange RX R615 is to have the servos plugged into the appropriate channels prior to plugging in the receiver battery. Worth giving this a try.
R615 instructions here - http://www.steffko-rcshop.de/home/28492 ... g_r615.pdf
Chris Cairns
-
steamie1
-
robbieg96
Thanks Chris for the link.
I have re-bound the TX to the Orange RX as per the pdf you linked too.
I have also switched on the DSM2 in the TX.
Unfortunatly neither has seemed to work and I am still getting major jitter on both servos.
Both servos are running reasonably hot too (still touchable), not sure if this is normal or not.
Thanks again for all the advice. I have another Orange RX on order for my other loco, so i will try this when it arrives.
I have re-bound the TX to the Orange RX as per the pdf you linked too.
I have also switched on the DSM2 in the TX.
Unfortunatly neither has seemed to work and I am still getting major jitter on both servos.
Both servos are running reasonably hot too (still touchable), not sure if this is normal or not.
Thanks again for all the advice. I have another Orange RX on order for my other loco, so i will try this when it arrives.
-
robbieg96
Ive been doing some more tests this morning, and it looks like it could be a mix between a faulty servo and maybe the receiver. I have two servos, and have called them servo 1 and 2 for the sake of troubleshooting.
Using a 4.8v receiver pack, i tested each individual servo in all channels on the Orange RX.
Servo 1 worked good in all except THRO.
Servo 2 worked badly in all channels and had major jitters.
Both servos worked badly when using a 6.0v 1200mAh Ni-MH receiver pack.
I guess from this, Servo 2 is faulty, and prehaps causing servo 1 be jitter when plugged in together. It might seen that THRO channel on the RX is also faulty.
Using a 4.8v receiver pack, i tested each individual servo in all channels on the Orange RX.
Servo 1 worked good in all except THRO.
Servo 2 worked badly in all channels and had major jitters.
Both servos worked badly when using a 6.0v 1200mAh Ni-MH receiver pack.
I guess from this, Servo 2 is faulty, and prehaps causing servo 1 be jitter when plugged in together. It might seen that THRO channel on the RX is also faulty.
-
steamie1
The voltage 6v or 4.8 is fine. My question mark is the cheep RX. Have you an original Spectrum RX or a friend with one to try? The heat is the servo trying to do all the work asked. The signal is corrupted see. Those servos could be fine with another set up. Do you know anyone with RC gear to test them for you?
- rebelego
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 211
- Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm
- Location: Norway
Received the R615X today.
I have the same set up with DX5e + R615X + 2x Hitec HS-82MG.
The rx is powered by a 6V battery pack with 4x 1.5V AA batteries.
Servos have been tested on an old Hitec FM rx and worked fine.
Well, first I got partly the same problem.
The servo on the thro channel jitters, but the servo on the aile channel works fine.
Now comes the weired thing...
As a test I switched the servos on the thro and aile cahnnels
and then they both worked fine. Switching back gives jittering again.
To test a bit more I connected an old Hitec HS-303 on the thro channel
and the 82MGs on the rudo and elev channels and then all servos work fine.
I guess the jittering is caused by weak signal and/or noice on the thro channel
and one of the servos are less tolerant than the others. (?)
Now I am a little bit in doubt wheter I have somtehing I can rely on
or if jittering suddenly will reappear on one or both servos.
I have the same set up with DX5e + R615X + 2x Hitec HS-82MG.
The rx is powered by a 6V battery pack with 4x 1.5V AA batteries.
Servos have been tested on an old Hitec FM rx and worked fine.
Well, first I got partly the same problem.
The servo on the thro channel jitters, but the servo on the aile channel works fine.
Now comes the weired thing...
As a test I switched the servos on the thro and aile cahnnels
and then they both worked fine. Switching back gives jittering again.
To test a bit more I connected an old Hitec HS-303 on the thro channel
and the 82MGs on the rudo and elev channels and then all servos work fine.
I guess the jittering is caused by weak signal and/or noice on the thro channel
and one of the servos are less tolerant than the others. (?)
Now I am a little bit in doubt wheter I have somtehing I can rely on
or if jittering suddenly will reappear on one or both servos.
-
steamie1
I think you have the problem located by process of elimination which is the only route. I would not fit something that is not right as it is harder to fix mentaly once installation has taken place. Trust your instict here.
For what it is worth, the only 'flying failures' in todays 2.4 world, come from cheep gear and sadly from Spectrum. On the flying scene Hitec Futaba Graupner and JR lead the way. Spectrum started 2.4 and have given cheep gear to the masses but the random faults are all to often. Good luck with the next move and try to keep compatibility with TX and RX.
For what it is worth, the only 'flying failures' in todays 2.4 world, come from cheep gear and sadly from Spectrum. On the flying scene Hitec Futaba Graupner and JR lead the way. Spectrum started 2.4 and have given cheep gear to the masses but the random faults are all to often. Good luck with the next move and try to keep compatibility with TX and RX.
-
robbieg96
That sounds similar to my issues.
I have since returned the offending servo to the shop and they said they will have a look at it which is really good of them.
I have since installed one channel in my loco and had a day of running yesterday and all was working with no issues.
I have plugged the battery into the THRO channel via a 3 lead switch harness. I then have an extension lead left in the BIND channel should it ever come unbound.
The RX is secured in the tank of my loco with servo tape. This has not caused any issues so far. The 4 AA battery is between the frames, as I have quite an open cab and didn't want the cells under the roof.
So far so good. I was hoping to do more running today, but this will have to wait unfortunatly.
Let me know how you get on!
I have since returned the offending servo to the shop and they said they will have a look at it which is really good of them.
I have since installed one channel in my loco and had a day of running yesterday and all was working with no issues.
I have plugged the battery into the THRO channel via a 3 lead switch harness. I then have an extension lead left in the BIND channel should it ever come unbound.
The RX is secured in the tank of my loco with servo tape. This has not caused any issues so far. The 4 AA battery is between the frames, as I have quite an open cab and didn't want the cells under the roof.
So far so good. I was hoping to do more running today, but this will have to wait unfortunatly.
Let me know how you get on!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests