Scandinavian functionalism

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Scandinavian functionalism

Post by St.Michael » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi.
I have been building for sometime this country-grocery house. To day it has been outdoors for the first time just to try out some impressions and thoughts
Backside:

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Looks great, well done!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Building looks good, but there is something very atmospheric about your track, although saying that I think I'd want to do something about the kinked joints!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 pm

I like it looks good

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 am

laalratty: you are absolutely right :cry:
although saying that I think I'd want to do something about the kinked joints!
That is a problem in this part of the line. And my only solution is to get me a railbender, but it´s not on the top place of things I ought to by (maybe build one myself?) The thing is, I don´t have any derailments in the kinked joints, so I tend to forget them.
Thank you all for kind comments on the building. I´m now getting to the fun part of the building: Finnishing it all up, and adding advertisements :D

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm

You can cheat and get by without the railbender..... if you have a set of pliars you can get a bit of bend on the ends of the rail, it probably won't correct it 100% but it could certainly help, just go very carefully to add a bit of bend at a time. I've done this to a few of my joints, my minimum radius is 4 feet (about 120cm) and I didn't use a railbender either
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Looking fantastic! Full of character. I agree about the track, very atmospheric, and very realistic too...

Cheers,

Andrew

The Denying Dutchman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by The Denying Dutchman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Nice!

Agreed about the atmospheric track, even the trees in the back ground look to scale.
Paul

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 pm

You can cheat and get by without the railbender..... if you have a set of pliars you can get a bit of bend on the ends of the rail, it probably won't correct it 100% but it could certainly help, just go very carefully to add a bit of bend at a time.
This is what makes this forum so fantastic :lol: Thank you laalratty! I´m going to try with pliers. I didn´t know of such an easy solution ;)

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 am

KjellAn has a low cost home made rail bender with parts from Biltema. He has posted images here: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about5471.html But currently the images don't show. Maybe removed?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 am

rebelego:91982 wrote:KjellAn has a low cost home made rail bender with parts from Biltema. He has posted images here: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about5471.html But currently the images don't show. Maybe removed?
If you are using SM32 Peco track like the guy you referred to then you might just try using the larger G45 railjoiners from Peco. I've used them on all my SM32 'doglegs' and they have solved the problem without benders.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

rebelego:91982 wrote:KjellAn has a low cost home made rail bender with parts from Biltema. He has posted images here: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about5471.html But currently the images don't show. Maybe removed?
Sorry - but the pics has been moved to an other web-server. Now the link should be OK.

Anyway - here are a picture of my railbender - cheap and easy selfmade:

Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:33 pm

The contryside groceries "konsum" is finnished. I haven´t found the right spot for it yet, it´s just placed outside for taking pictures. Now it´s stored in the barn awating for the spring :D
:D

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 am

Looks great! I do like the little details in the window. Is it built on a cast concrete base? All your buildings have a definite style which adds to the unique character of your railway which we've seen develop -a lovely journey. Thank you!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Thank you for kind comments on my work. Mr.Bond, if you look a bit higher up in this thread, you can see the ugly light blue colour that is the ground-isolating foam material that I have used. On the visible parts of it, I have daubed and formed it with "Quick setting repair cement" It´s some 5mm. thick.
And the things in the window: Many of us 16mm. modellers have used Tamyas racing crew as random habitants in our scenery. Theese are some of the small bits and peaces, that are leftovers from the set.
Eg. the brown bowls you can see are the raicing helmets from the set. :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Only just seen this Michael and your buildings look brilliant!

You can't beat home built buildings using 'real world' materials ;)

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't like narrow gauge track to look too tidy. My line has a few 'less than mainline standard' curves, and it just contributes to the effect.

I really like the Konsum! However, I am a fan of wooden buildings, and things Scandinavian.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.