Mamod smokebox metal

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Mamod smokebox metal

Post by funandtrains » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Can anyone tell be if the Mamod / MSS casting in aluminium or zinc alloy? If it is aluminium I think it will take the heat of an internal gas boiler flame but if it is zinc it will melt and I will have to ditch the idea I have.
Cheers, Steve

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Steve - The smoke box I think is a zinc alloy.  It sounds like you have a very interesting idea though.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Due to the latest 16mm fad of coal fired locos there seems to be a ready supply a small gas fired boilers being sold off quite cheaply so I was considering trying to fit one to an old Mamod chassis I have as it would be cheaper than buying a new high pressure boiler.
Cheers, Steve

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 pm

The old Mamod SL/current MSS smoke box casting is Mazak diecast (zinc alloy) and likes to melt as soon as a butane flame gets anywhere near it.

An internal flue boiler has been fitted to a Mamod type loco before but it suffered from the obvious reduction in water content caused by the flue.

No reason why you could not adapt another suitable sized smoke box.

Chris Cairns