Replacing wheels on Mamod SL1

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
godsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Replacing wheels on Mamod SL1

Post by godsteam » Sat May 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Is there a recognised method of replacing/fitting new wheels on a Mamod SL1.

Do the wheels pull off the axles?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sat May 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Replacing the wheels mean taking half the loco apart. The wheels are fixed onto the axles so don't try pulling them off. below is a method of doing it on a standard loco.

Remove the steam dome (and cover if fitted) and take the spring, washer and O ring from the steam pipe.

Undo the bolts under the smokebox and the two under the front of the cab

Remove the rear buffers

CAREFULLY lift the body from the frames making sure not to pull on the steam and exhaust pipes, they will just slide out but may need a little help.

Turn the wheels so the piston rod on one side is all the way out and lift the big end off the crank pin, repeat on other side

Unbolt the rear drag beam and the chassis spacer

Unbolt the reversing block from the frames

Squeeze the frames together

At this point you can remove the wheel set by pushing the axle bearing out of the frames and take the wheels out the slot. Putting the engine back together is a reverse of the instructions, you may need to put new O rings in the reverser block and under the steam dome if they are old to make it steam tight once more. This is my way to do it, I've done this job so often it only takes me about 10 mins to strip the loco, put new wheels in and have it back in one piece !
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

gamma
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by gamma » Sun May 25, 2014 7:02 am

Very interesting tutorial, my question is : is the process the same for a MSS loco?

godsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by godsteam » Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for those instructions DLRdan I will dismantle and replace wheels over the weekend as I want to steam next weekend.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun May 25, 2014 11:36 am

Gamma, the instructions are exactly the same for the MSS engine, the only difference is the brass steam dome cover won't be there.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail