3.5 inch gauge

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 am

kandnwlr:100275 wrote:
nikkor:100221 wrote:...by God.
I feel so stupid, but then again I am neither in the UK or someone that would be in the know on this- I'm a 26 year old Texan in the US Army.

That is a beautiful series of locomotives.
There is a part of me that does want to build one of my own someday.
Plenty of room to build something big, there. Some day you´ll make the move.  :o
I think I'll be fine with building a MaxiTrak kit and trying to find a 2-3 inch scale traction engine of my own.

If you ever see a video on YouTube of a 20 something on a live steamer of some sort with an American military hair cut acting silly you'll know I found my happy place.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun May 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm sure you'll enjoy building the "Alice". I'd like one myself. Be sure to post pictures of the building process.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun May 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Keith S:100281 wrote:I'm sure you'll enjoy building the "Alice". I'd like one myself. Be sure to post pictures of the building process.
What regard is Maxitrak held in?
I know that the models are made in China (which frankly is of little concern to me) but over all, are they reliable, long lasting models?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:28 pm

I've not heard bad things about them... so its all good... Watch their vids on youtube...
There's an american dealer of their locos I think?
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun May 04, 2014 9:43 pm

There is, as peculiar as this sounds Accucraft is actually from the adjacent city to where I was born in California.

But there is no way that I am going to order one in 4 3/4 inch gauge, or ready to roll for full price for that matter.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon May 05, 2014 7:21 am

One last question and then I will come off this whole topic completely- oh and a request.

If anyone has any experience with building a 5 inch gauge engine from LBSC castings or putting together an Alice/owning one would kindly message me that would be much appreciated.

Also, is coal firing hard to learn? So far I have been watching a few vids on running the Alice and well... learning coal firing seems kinda daunting. Like driving a right hand drive stick in the US as your first car.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:06 am

I wouldn't worry about leaving the thread, it's been an interesting one and it's what the forum was invented for, help and advice.

Coal firing won't take you long to get used to. Although I'd have a look at what others in your area do. For some unknown reason people in the US like to gas fire engines that would be great on coal.
In my opinion gas firing on anything bigger than 3.5" is taking the soul out of the steam loco... You'd be taking all the skill out of it and done missing all the lovely smells!

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon May 05, 2014 9:40 am

Well sir if that's the case.

I won't lie I am a little nervous at the notion of coal firing for the first time.

What makes matters worse for me is that I will have to travel-no matter what- if I get into this hobby in order to partake in it- until I have a more permanent place to live.

That is *part* of the reason I was asking about 3 1/2 inch gauge in the beginning, I figured that worse case scenario I could have an oval worth of track I could squirrel away in my closet when I wasn't using it, and when I had the scratch to steam it up I could pull it out and have some fun.

How feasible this is-another thing.

I think I might have to content myself with something small.
I live in a barracks.
In Texas/Mexico hell called El Paso.

I think that is what I have failed to mention. I live in a 4 meter by 4 meter box (if that) in the abyss that is east of California, West of Dallas, south of Colorado and has a lot of sand. It actually looks like the middle east except with Texans and Mexicans everywhere.

Any ideas how I could make something work?

I have to fly solo.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am

Ah! I see... Well if that's the case why not settle for a 5" battery loco to begin with? They're alot lighter and easier to shift about and wouldn't be too bothered by the sand. Sand and oil basically makes a grinding paste that completely ruins bearings.

You can convert a gas fired loco to run on coal so it might be worth you starting on gas to get used to the loco and the injectors, the basic operating of the loco and then convert it to Coal firing when you feel more confident?

Or the ultimate in portable railway is sm32 live steam... its smaller, much smaller and can't pull you along but you can fit an entire railway in a 75ltr storage box and be in steam within 15mins.
I have mamod track at my home and I just set it up when I feel like having a steam up and put it away again after.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon May 05, 2014 10:45 am

laurence703:100306 wrote:Ah! I see... Well if that's the case why not settle for a 5" battery loco to begin with? They're alot lighter and easier to shift about and wouldn't be too bothered by the sand. Sand and oil basically makes a grinding paste that completely ruins bearings.

You can convert a gas fired loco to run on coal so it might be worth you starting on gas to get used to the loco and the injectors, the basic operating of the loco and then convert it to Coal firing when you feel more confident?

Or the ultimate in portable railway is sm32 live steam... its smaller, much smaller and can't pull you along but you can fit an entire railway in a 75ltr storage box and be in steam within 15mins.
I have mamod track at my home and I just set it up when I feel like having a steam up and put it away again after.
I'll figure out coal.
I don't care if if burn my fingers, etc in the process.

SM32 is always nice, but the selection for locomotives is... less interesting, and I figure if I am going to spend the money on what ever in that scale I might as well buy something in 3 1/2 gauge, stay under 10 stone and enjoy the ride.

...alone.

I am sure that a Juliet or a similar engine could turn around in a tighter radius, and that a VERY small oval could fit into the trunk of a Toyota Corolla?

Or am I delusional from a lack of sleep?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:14 pm

It's possible but you'd be hard pressed to do it...
Either way I wish you luck!

I have a set of drawings for the Juliet on my computer I can send you if you want them.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Mon May 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Please, that would be interesting.

How tight of a turning radius do you think such a small locomotive would have?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon May 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Don't worry about coal. If anything is remotely flammable, most men can figure out how to burn it. A charcoal barbecue is harder to light than a gas one, but the steaks are better. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Paul H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul H » Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Gas firing on large locos in the U.S. is done at least in part as a fire prevention measure. Many of the large railways are in areas with lots of tinder dry grass where wildfires are a massive problem. Some people also prefer not to have to spend time cleaning tubes and smoke boxes...

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun May 25, 2014 1:25 am

Alright British people.

I have a question for you.

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thela ... k17181.htm

Where on earth do you source track like this?
Or how do you make it? Is it just a jig or something of the sort?

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Sun May 25, 2014 9:12 am

Nikkor

Such track is made out of steel strip and welded. My club's track used to be elevated like that and include a fourth rail for 2.5". It is now lowered to ground level.
At present the only 3.5"G loco steaming regularly is Dr Allan Wallace's Juliet which pulls himself and two passengers on 5"G riding cars.

Ian
Ian

Clinkard
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clinkard » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I've come to this thread a little late, but for ground level running anything less than 7 1/4" (7 1/2" in most of the States) is uncomfortable after even a short length of time. 5" is viable, but stick with narrow gauge prototypes and short runs. a 7/14" Tich is available but something like a Romulus is a far better bet and still transportable in a small van or on a trailer. For storage in your limited circumstances, how about a local storage unit, they don't cost silly money. As I see it your position for actually getting to build anything other than a kit is tenuous in the extreme at present.