Beginners' guide to 3D printing

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Beginners' guide to 3D printing

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:52 am

I've just posted a beginners' guide to 3d printing on my blog.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2021/1 ... nting.html

I've tried to keep it straightforward and uncomplicated so as not to deter someone who's thinking about taking the plunge while also trying to give them a feel for what's involved.

I'd be interested in any feedback as to what you think is ok, where there is information overload or what essential information is missing.

Rik
PS Or if you spot any errors or typos as has already happened :oops:
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Beginners' guide to 3D printing

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:17 am

Generally excellent Rik, as always with your writings.
I did spot one typo - in the section where you describe the use of Pritt tyou say that it needs to be "relied" which I think should be "reapplied".

Some of the details/procedures that you describe are rather different on my FDM m/c, but I guess that would apply whoever the manufacturer is.

As for Tinkercad, you and Steve have undeniably demonstrated how good the drawings can be. I had yet another try a couple of weeks ago, with no real joy at even the simplest level, however since I was going away for a week in Scotland ( last week) I was deteremined to get it into my thick head whilst on holiday. Unfortunately, the 'net connection wasn't good enough to be able to do anything at all, other than read the board and read mails with a bit of a struggle. That of course is a big problem with doing anything that is 'cloud' based, whereas my good old obsolete Sketchup was perfectly happy, residing on my laptop.
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:33 pm

That’s really helpful. Thank you.

My first problem (I realise, of course, there will be a zillion more) will be where on earth to put the damn thing. This may seem ridiculous but — does it (printing) smell? This could limit my options…

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:38 pm

Yes there is a smell but it isn't particularly strong or obnoxious. We live in a bungalow and I have mine in a spare bedroom that I use as a kind of workshop. The door is always wide open and SWMBO is always on my neck about anything even vaguely smelly but she has no problem with it. I think ABS smells more strongly than PLA though.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:57 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:33 pm That’s really helpful. Thank you.

My first problem (I realise, of course, there will be a zillion more) will be where on earth to put the damn thing. This may seem ridiculous but — does it (printing) smell? This could limit my options…
Thanks. That issue has been raised on another forum (GSC) in relation to ABS. Pleased to report that there is very little odour with PLA which is a plant-based plastic (made from corn-starch I believe). PETG has a very slight odour but not unpleasant.

Rik
PS Just noticed Philip has beaten me to it
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:17 am Generally excellent Rik, as always with your writings.
I did spot one typo - in the section where you describe the use of Pritt tyou say that it needs to be "relied" which I think should be "reapplied".
Thanks - I did spot that after I'd uploaded it, but didn't make a note of the error and where it was so when I went back to edit I couldn't track it down. I'll correct it now...

Rik
------------------------

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:00 pm

Only comment I've got on that otherwise excellent guide, you don't need adhesive 99% of the time. I don't use it at all on my 3 soon to be 4 printers. Level the bed, fine tune your bed temperatures and you'll be fine. I find the hotter the bed, the more likely your part is to stay attached.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:21 pm

angr607 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:00 pm Only comment I've got on that otherwise excellent guide, you don't need adhesive 99% of the time. I don't use it at all on my 3 soon to be 4 printers. Level the bed, fine tune your bed temperatures and you'll be fine. I find the hotter the bed, the more likely your part is to stay attached.

Jon
Thanks Jon
I'll try without Pritt but the last time I tried it I had all sorts of adhesion problems using PLA

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:58 pm

As I think I've said before, I stopped using Prit a couple of years ago and I haven't had any real problems since. I think I agree with Jon that getting the bed temp right is the answer. I set it at 60deg for initial layer then drop it to 50 for the rest of the print. Of course the plastic sheet on top of the heated ali build plate probably drops the actual temp by a degree or two.
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:44 pm

On my brand new Creality Ender 3V2 I have found that if I do not use the glue (Pritt, UHU or equivalent) I have no end of adhesion problems.
It has a glass bed with some sort of coating on it and the bed temp is set at 60C by default for PLA. I also have to use a brim otherwise the adhesion is just woeful.
I have levelled the bed so many times I can do it in my sleep.
I will look at increasing the temp to heat the glass to a higher plate temp, I generally leave the printer in "preheat PLA" mode for at least 5 minutes before attempting a print.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:31 pm

I've had intermittent issues with prints not sticking. But I've upped the print bed to 65C and it stays there all print. Now I have hell getting the things off at times rather than keeping them on!

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'