Can you tell what it is yet?

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can you tell what it is yet?

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:05 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm
ge_rik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 am Opening spectacles as well! You are getting adept at TinkerCAD

Rik
Absolutely staggering what you are both capable of getting TinkerCAD to do. Fascinated to see how this beautiful drawing will translate into a real-world print, the detail is wonderful.
Thanks Simon, as you know, both Rik and I are self taught in Tinkercad with no previous experience, you just learn it as you go along, it is so intuitive :thumbup:

All the parts are designed separately so each part is already printable, the printer is just busy doing a long list of other things at the moment. I have only put them all together in this one piece so I (and you) can see how it fits together and how it should eventually look. Some of it is very painstaking, lol :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Out of interest I have just had a go with TinkerCAD, your results look brilliant for what a basic set of tools it gives you.

I haven't seen a good way to do the flare on the dome in TinkerCAD. This is how I would do it in Fusion 360, its very easy, at least when you know how to do it. :lol:

It appears TinkerCAD can import STLs, maybe there is a case for doing the dome in another program, exporting it to STL and importing it into your main TinkerCAD document? If you give me the dimensions of the dome and boiler I could send you an STL if you want, as you can see it will only take a minute. ;)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:50 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm Out of interest I have just had a go with TinkerCAD, your results look brilliant for what a basic set of tools it gives you.

I haven't seen a good way to do the flare on the dome in TinkerCAD. This is how I would do it in Fusion 360, its very easy, at least when you know how to do it. :lol:

It appears TinkerCAD can import STLs, maybe there is a case for doing the dome in another program, exporting it to STL and importing it into your main TinkerCAD document? If you give me the dimensions of the dome and boiler I could send you an STL if you want, as you can see it will only take a minute. ;)
That looks very handy. I do have Fusion 360 so I will give it a go tomorrow. I did use it once to make a curved wheel, took me ages and it looked pants, but I did export it and get it into tinkercad but as its an stl file there isn't much you can do with it.

If I can't follow the YouTube video then I will be asking for help again, lol.

I can't thank you enough for finding that. :salute:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:24 am

-steves- wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm I would like the dome and then have it flare over the boiler for the same amount in each direction. I tried using a "P-Ring" adjusting the wave height, thickness etc etc, but it just won't work :( Something like the brass one below I found online, that flare is a nightmare to get in each direction. If anyone knows how, I would be eternally grateful. :thumbup:
Try getting the the P-Ring the right shape and turning it into a hole around the base of the dome cylinder. Duplicate the P-Ring and move it up 0.25mm, repeat that duplication another dozen or so times. Group all the shapes and you'll get a cylinder with a flare at the base (once you've chopped the top off). You can then add the dome to the top of it.
Merged_document.jpg
Merged_document.jpg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Hope that makes sense

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:40 pm

And that's how you do a flared dome in TinkerCad :thumbup:

Absolutely amazing what you can do with a bit of help, thank you so so much :thumbup:

doublefairlie2.jpg
doublefairlie2.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 4115 times

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:23 am

metalmuncher wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm
If you give me the dimensions of the dome and boiler I could send you an STL if you want, as you can see it will only take a minute. ;)
Hi. I am not sure if you found that video or made it fort his example? However it took me hours to follow that video and I still ended up doing things a little differently as I could not see how some of the things were done, presumably keyboard shortcuts?

The main thing I could not follow was how to get the second circle in the centre of the first circle from the view given. I ended up changing to top view to get it central and then changing the view back to extrude it, which I also struggled with as it wouldn't let be extrude the second circle as it was inside the first circle so it kept selecting the first circle, again I changed tack and hid the first one to extrude the second one and then had to unhide it. Although this seems such a simple process in the video, I really struggled, lol :lol: :dontknow:

And for those wondering how I did it in TinkerCad, yes I imported the stl file from Fusion 360

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am

-steves- wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:23 am Hi. I am not sure if you found that video or made it fort his example? However it took me hours to follow that video and I still ended up doing things a little differently as I could not see how some of the things were done, presumably keyboard shortcuts?
Yes, I definitely used keyboard shortcuts in the first half, I thought that would be the easy bit, so I sort of glossed over how to get the two intersecting cylinders. You could do that any number of ways, in the example I used two sketches and extruded but you could have used the cylinder tool instead, it would make no difference as long as you ended up with two joined together cylinders.

From about half way on were the main tools I wanted to show, the fillet using chord length to make the nice even flare and splitting the body using the boiler face as a tool to separate out the dome.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:33 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am
Yes, I definitely used keyboard shortcuts in the first half, I thought that would be the easy bit, so I sort of glossed over how to get the two intersecting cylinders. You could do that any number of ways, in the example I used two sketches and extruded but you could have used the cylinder tool instead, it would make no difference as long as you ended up with two joined together cylinders.

From about half way on were the main tools I wanted to show, the fillet using chord length to make the nice even flare and splitting the body using the boiler face as a tool to separate out the dome.
Well the video was extremely useful as I ended up with exactly what I wanted, all be it with a few hours of trying to work out the "simple" bits, lol :lol: :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 am

It is definitely starting to take shape as a 3D image, the downside being is it will take well over a week of constant printing to complete, in reality, 2 weeks due to not baby sitting it 24 hours a day, WOW! I still have a few minor tweaks to do, but as they say, we're getting there. :thumbleft:

And a big thank you to Metal Muncher for the video to produce what I am happy to call the perfect domes that I was after :salute:

doublefairlie3.jpg
doublefairlie3.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 3958 times

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 pm

It looks fantastic - and it gets better at each stage.

Just out of curiosity which double Fairlie are you building - or is it generic?

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:32 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 pm It looks fantastic - and it gets better at each stage.

Just out of curiosity which double Fairlie are you building - or is it generic?

Trevor
It is just generic, no particular one really, I might give it some name plates to make it look like one, possibly Merddin Emryss as that's the one I have been using the most for reference, but it wasn't intentional, I just love the look of them :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 pm

Added a bit of detailing to the boiler section today, looks better for it I think.
doublefairlie4.jpg
doublefairlie4.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3898 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:57 pm

That really makes a difference, particularly the sand pots - I knew there was something missing!

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:57 pm That really makes a difference, particularly the sand pots - I knew there was something missing!
It did indeed have bits missing and still does, lots and lots to design yet, but getting there, I will start the first test prints next week hopefully.

doublefairlie5.jpg
doublefairlie5.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 pm

I see what you mean about the rivets. Perhaps I over emphasise the rivets. Scaling effects are interesting. I think some things have to be over scale to have the expected impact. I make my rivets 1mm diameter and 1mm high - just laziness really.

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:49 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 pm I see what you mean about the rivets. Perhaps I over emphasise the rivets. Scaling effects are interesting. I think some things have to be over scale to have the expected impact. I make my rivets 1mm diameter and 1mm high - just laziness really.

Trevor
Not that I am a rivet counter, but there are actually less rivets on mine than the real one, they are really small and close on the real one.

Close up they look pretty much better, the 2nd picture is one of the ones I am working from.

doublefairlie6.jpg
doublefairlie6.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 4928 times

doublefairlie7.jpg
doublefairlie7.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 4925 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:12 am

I tend to make rivets at about 1 x 1 as well. Any smaller and neither Sketchup nor my printer like them!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 am

I tend to use the dome shape in TinkerCAD. My default value is 1.5mm dia which gives 0.75mm height

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Well I managed to get a bit of movement on the chassis. :woo

I should add that there is no glue yet on any of this, things are just pushed into place with a few bolts here and there, enough to hold it together "just" as it's still all ongoing work.

Yes, I am aware of the wobbly wheels which have since been redesigned and I am also aware of the wobbly gear which I hand drilled as I couldn't be bothered to go to the shed and put it in the lathe, lol :lol:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Very impressive. :D
Philip