3 D Printing 16mm models

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: 3 D Printing 16mm models

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:46 am

I am now getting somewhere with the figures created in "Makehuman/Blender".

Firstly I have tried the "Chitubox" slicing software. It does seem a much more user friendly and versatile package for working with complex shapes like figures. However the BIG thing you need to know is that it does not work with "Anycubic Photon Zero" printers. At least this printer is not one which it can generate sliced files for.

Bear in mind that I got this particular printer because it was very cost effective, and although the size it can print is small, it is big enough for 16mm figures - which is what I specifically wanted it for. Dinah paid significantly less than £100 for it as a special offer.

Back to slicing. Although I couldn't use the Chitubox software the videos were very useful. I came away having a much clearer idea if how to orientate the figure and how to organise the supports. So I am back to using the printers own slicing software.

So some photos of my developing understanding:
IMG_1226.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg (378.94 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
My first attempt at a seated first class figure. With a top hat. You can see that there is a big block of solid support under the figures bottom. There was also a tube of resin around the face - and I have prized some of that off before taking this photo. In doing that some of the brim of the hat came away.

I next tried printing it at an angle;
IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1227.jpg (363.25 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Now there are a different set of issues, including the top of the hat missing. Most significantly there are blocks of support under ankles bottom and back. These would not be so easy to remove in a way which didn't affect the end result.

I have now realised that the BIG problem with these figures is that there are problems with the "mesh". In other words the figure consists of s set of triangles interconnected. There are overlaps, holes and triangles which are not connected. So the slicing software is having problems working out what to print. I need to repair the defects. That is the difference between the figures from thingiverse and these figures. The thingiverse figures don't have problems with the mesh, so they slice properly.

I remembered a comment that Steve or Philip made some time ago about fixing figures like this and the word Meshmixer seemed to ring a bell - so I searched for it. It turns out to be a reputable mesh repair tool! So I have installed it. Now trial and error leads to the next photo:
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1228.jpg (360.73 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
You can see that I have turned the figure so that the front rim of the hat is pointing upwards. I know its on its back - but that is so that the front of the hat doesn't need supports. The supports under the legs are ones that I created manually - but there is still a block of resin under the back. Not very big and therefor the figure is usable. There is no block under the hat, so that is an improvement.
Now I have looked at some videos on using meshmixer and think I have a better understanding of how to repair the mesh. So I think the mesh is now repaired and this is the result:
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg (366.75 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
That is how I think it should come out! The supports are all individual and the whole figure has printed cleanly.

Success!

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Well done indeed.
Not only for solving the problem, which looks brilliant, but also for getting Meshmixer to work. I've tried several times and simply don't understand all the jargon type options.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 pm

Thats brilliant Trevor. Well done, perseverance does pay off. Encouraging to know that someone has cracked what seems a bit of an headache to master. I am having enough with my filament printing never mind resin.... :roll: :roll:

So I think I will keep with what I have got... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:42 pm

I now have that figure finished - well ready to paint:
IMG_1231.jpg
IMG_1231.jpg (365.52 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
and of course I got too cocky:
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg (307.08 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Look no head! Too few supports under the head. so the video was correct. Support it really well to avoid this sort of failure. I now have to clean out the tank before I can print any thing else.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:47 pm

I think its time I started to use different threads for different topics - as this is getting a bit confusing. Too much dotting around between different topics.

So to finish off the Dandy wagon and the carriage wagon topic. Final photo of both:
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg (369.59 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
Trevor

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:12 pm

Very good - a horse and carriage train!

I do like the dandy wagon with the horse in it. I decided I could justify printing one when you revealed they had been converted for coal. But I'm tempted to print a horse, and make the coal load removable, so that even though I have no incline for gravity trains I can sometimes take the horse for a ride...

The final finish on the carriage is superb. And even though this whole topic is about printing it really is quite amazing that there can't be much in that train that isn't printed - just the axles?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Beautiful, well done.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Well done, those are wonderful!

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:21 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:12 pm And even though this whole topic is about printing it really is quite amazing that there can't be much in that train that isn't printed - just the axles?
Just axles, wire to pivot the coupling hook and bolts for pivoting the couplings. Otherwise totally printed.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 am

Looks like it has been worth all that effort in getting the technique right. I wonder if it's possible to get passable results on a FDM printer.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 am

That is a really superb piece of work Trevor. All 3d printed except for what you have mentioned, makes it so worthwhile the investment in a 3d printer.

Are they now all printable in the files thread. I really fancy doing a carriage or something similar.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:22 am

Rod

I am sorry the files for the more complex models that I have designed will not be made available.

However I will be making up kits for the horse drawn carriages, and the other models I have spent weeks designing, and I will make those available in the for sale section in the near future.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:27 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 am Looks like it has been worth all that effort in getting the technique right. I wonder if it's possible to get passable results on a FDM printer.

Rik
Rick

It is possible. Look back at the photos of the driver in 4415 and the wren. They were created on the filament printer. Not perfect but hardly an issue when they are inside the cab, and it is difficult to see the defects.

The resin printer is interesting. it isn't so much a problem printing ordinary designs from tinkered or sketchup - or even thingiverse. However trying to do it via makehuman etc is another thing!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 pm

A final photo of the goods shed prior to painting:
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg (372.81 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
The roof slates are actually to scale. However the thickness isn't making the steps in the roof very obvious. It is a case where making something oversize is necessary to make it look right. So if I make a roof like this again I will overemphasise the thickness of the slates.

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 pm

That looks incredible, my hat off to you sir :salute:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 pm

The roof slates are actually to scale. However the thickness isn't making the steps in the roof very obvious. It is a case where making something oversize is necessary to make it look right. So if I make a roof like this again I will overemphasise the thickness of the slates.
The thickness may become more obvious once you've painted and weathered the roof and paint has settled into the joints.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:03 am

Very nice build indeed. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:19 pm

Lovely piece of modelling, Trevor. As Philips says, some weathering (accidental or deliberate) might emphasise the divisions between the slates.

Rik
------------------------

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:03 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am An update on finishing off 4415

And now 4415. I have added the lettering and the makers plate. The lettering is hand painted - and I have done better, but it will suffice. The surface finish on some of the panels is not perfect, and I may yet go back and try different print settings. I suspect more solid layers on the outer surfaces may improve the surface finish. Anyway as a project it is finished and it works:

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Trevor
I have been running 4415 on my 1 in 60 main line. With a reasonably heavy rake of slate wagons I am getting much wheel slipping.

So I am adding weights (low down) and in a way which avoids opening up the body - and risking damage to the paintwork.

I have made a dozen holders to take 10mm diameter lengths of brass rod, on the printer, and parted off 4 off 70mm, and 2 off 80mm lengths.
IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1622.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4249 times
Here are two of the rods and their holders, plus one weight ready to fit.

I have bonded the 70mm lengths under the footplate on the outside edges, and the 80mm lengths across the ends.
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 4249 times
Having just come in from testing it I can confirm that the slipping is now gone (with the same rake as before).

Just got to do something similar to Welsh Pony!

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:54 pm

A really neat and clever way of adding weight 👍

Rik
------------------------