3D double diesel

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3D double diesel

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm I didn't much care for Freecad either. For Sketchup repairs/identifying errors I use Solid Inspector2 from their extension library. It isn't perfect and sometimes tells you there are errors without obviously showing where, but that's usually because it's tiny and needs mega zooming in.
If a face is showing in a darkish shade, that probably indicates a reversed face. Right-click on the face and the drop down menu has a "Reverse faces" item which often solves it.
That's handy info, thanks.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks Graeme
You do realise that it's your fault for seeding the idea of the b2b diesels. 😳😏

Thanks for the video (and the photos sent previously).

I don't think my diesels will end up looking as smart as yours. The wonky one will be especially heavily weathered to distract attention from its wonkiness. 🤭

Rik

That's OK Rik I have heaps of ideas that I can suggest any time you want something to make.

Here is an idea of a crossing with a difference starting at 8:31
https://youtu.be/a5wYy_wPXxs
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks Graeme
Interesting! Those are seriously long trains. No wonder they need double diesels. Not sure Peckforton is quite ready for a sugar plantation just yet, though 😏

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am

Great looking brace of locos Rik.
I still reckon they should be nose-to-nose not cab-to-cab. I guess that in Queensland they would get better cooling airflow with one loco's radiator at the front. But heat shouldn't be a problem on the PLR surely. :?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 am

gregh wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am Great looking brace of locos Rik.
I still reckon they should be nose-to-nose not cab-to-cab. I guess that in Queensland they would get better cooling airflow with one loco's radiator at the front. But heat shouldn't be a problem on the PLR surely. :?
I'll give it a try to see what it looks like

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:24 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 am
I'll give it a try to see what it looks like
Back in the day, when I lived /worked in Worksop, we used to see permanently coupled BR Class 20's playing with MGR coal trains and they were always nose to nose, so that the driver was at the front both ways rather than in the middle. I reckon your two look a bit like mini Class 20's so should look quite good.

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/20169_20210 ... r_1004.jpg
Philip

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am

philipy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm I didn't much care for Freecad either. For Sketchup repairs/identifying errors I use Solid Inspector2 from their extension library. It isn't perfect and sometimes tells you there are errors without obviously showing where, but that's usually because it's tiny and needs mega zooming in.
If a face is showing in a darkish shade, that probably indicates a reversed face. Right-click on the face and the drop down menu has a "Reverse faces" item which often solves it.
I use Fusion360 from AutoCAD you can sign up for a free version for personal use!

I used Sketchup in the past but got fed up of the iffy way that it handles circles (many sided polygons rather than true arcs) Sketchup is fine for architectural stuff but anything mechanical you can't beat F360 for free! After all it's got AutoCAD development behind it. Of course any CAD program has a steep learning curve...

My guess is that CAD and miniature CNC will be the future of model making, in essence you'll be designing your own kits!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 am

HugoFitz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am
I used Sketchup in the past but got fed up of the iffy way that it handles circles (many sided polygons rather than true arcs) Sketchup is fine for architectural stuff but anything mechanical you can't beat F360 for free! After all it's got AutoCAD development behind it.
I've got F360, but life ain't long enough ( at least, the amount I've probably got left) for me to learn it.
You're right about SU circles of course, although if you set the number of sides of the polygon to a much higher number than the default before you start, it isn't a problem in reality for what we are doing. Drawing at 10x scale and then scaling down also helps.

Anyway this is dragging Rik's thread off topic again. 'pologies Rik! :oops:
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:37 am

Greg
You are correct about the orientation in Queensland being for cooling, the crushing season runs through most of the summer that is why a lot of locos have exposed engines to improve cooling and putting the radiators out in clear air.
Most crews run the locos with the engine in front so when they have to go in the opposite direction it is a simple matter of moving from one cab to the other.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:12 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 am Anyway this is dragging Rik's thread off topic again. 'pologies Rik! :oops:
No need to apologise. The thread is not just about the diesel models, it's about my experiments with 3d printing, so any pointers on that topic are really helpful. If someone does a search for topics on 3d printing this one will pop up, and 3d CAD packages are very relevant.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Jolly nearly finished .....

I've decided they will probably be coupled back to back most of the time as they each have headlights and it makes more sense for the headlights to be at the front of the loco rather than facing inwards. Incidentally, a lot of model diesel locos seem to come with headlights - were there many UK based locos with headlamps?
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG (132.54 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
The unpowered loco is based mainly on the original drawings. I've only changed the top of the bonnet as I felt the silencer and exhaust arrangement was more attractive than the original. The headlamp is also a better design on the updated drawings. Incidentally, I used one of the microscopic surface mount LEDs as a bulb as even a 3mm LED wouldn't fit. Make sure you get them with wires attached BTW unless you have a microscope, a soldering iron with a tiny bit and a rock steady hand.
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG (90.93 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
I decided to 'remove' the side doors from the engine compartment to have the engine visible - it seemed a shame to waste this part and hide it away. As this is the unpowered 'trailer', there's no motor under the bonnet.
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG (99.54 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
The powered loco has plenty of room under the bonnet for the motor and a fair amount of lead. I do like my locos to have plenty of weight. The two AA sized batteries and Deltang receiver/controller are in the control panel in the cab. The driver is removable so he can be swapped over when the loco changes direction.
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG (95.45 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
I'm really pleased with the way the radiator grille has turned out. A bit fiddly to print and tidy-up but I think it was worth the effort. I have wired in sockets so I could run the locos nose to nose if the fancy takes me. I'll have to add my LGB style hook and loop couplings before she/they can enter service properly. Just need to figure out how to do this without butchering too much what I've made so far.
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG (87.77 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
Quite pleased with how they've turned out. Of course, there's a bit of "now I've done it I know how to do it better"! I don't think the wonky (unpowered) one looks noticeably wonky - though I know exactly where to look!!

I feel it was well worth the effort - and the beauty of 3D printing is I can always print off any bits that get broken!!

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:14 pm

They look wonderful Rik, I'm so impressed with the way you have mastered the 3D printer in such a short time, I would still be reading the assembly instructions!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Rik, your skill seems to have come on in leaps and bounds, hopefully you will be soon supplying to community with the bits we need ;)

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 pm Quite pleased with how they've turned out. Of course, there's a bit of "now I've done it I know how to do it better"! I don't think the wonky (unpowered) one looks noticeably wonky - though I know exactly where to look!!

I feel it was well worth the effort - and the beauty of 3D printing is I can always print off any bits that get broken!!
You should be very pleased, well done. TBH I can't see the wonkiness you've mentioned, with just one possibilty that I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said about it twice!

I know exactly what you mean by "now I know how to do it better" - I've got a box full of bits that were supereded and not used.

Absolutely agree about the joy of just being able to print another bit if/when you need to.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 pm Quite pleased with how they've turned out. Of course, there's a bit of "now I've done it I know how to do it better"! I don't think the wonky (unpowered) one looks noticeably wonky - though I know exactly where to look!!
They've come up nicely.

Be careful though, you are straying dangerously over the line between operator and builder........ 8)

They look somewhat germanic so perhaps you should call them 'Zwillinge' (twins). Diesels that small don't need to run nose to nose, as visibility is good over the low hood. The BR class 20s ran that way supposedly because the drivers couldn't easily see signals past the full height long hood.

Those little surface mount leds are useful for tight spots and can put out a surprising amount of light. The one fitted in the TVT Fowler headlight lights up the track at night, but I agree about not attempting to solder leads on them at home.

If you want to use parts of these models as the basis of a centre cab diesel, it doesn't have to have bogies. Fowler built small centre cab 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 diesels with outside rods and Regner do a model of a neat little O&K 0-4-0 centre cab diesel.

Regards,
Graeme

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:30 pm

They look great! 👍

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 pm

A short video of the loco in action

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:16 am

A big 'like' for the locos, the scenery and the action.
A huge 'love' for the background music.
Another triumph Rik, well done.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:29 am

That pair of locos match the hoppers very well Rik. You should be pretty happy with the final result.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 am

I agree, the loco(s) run very nicely and look really good with the hoppers.
I love the shot at the end where they are pulling in to the siding and you can just see the brake van in the distance at the RHS of the frame.
Philip