Learning how to 3D print loco parts

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
philipy

Re: Learning how to 3D print loco parts

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:46 pm

James from Devon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 pm
I think that the printer can handle 1mm overhang ok, if not you may be stuck with printing those flat.
I've had some support filament arrive this morning, so I'll give that a try in due course. I have read that PLA printers can cope with an unsuported outward taper of not more than 62 degrees.
James from Devon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 pm I don't use a raft but I did find longer prints curling up at the edges. The recommended bed heat for PLI was 40 degrees but I found if I up it to 50 degrees, then the part stayed flat.
Yes I've had that curling problem, particularly towards the front RH corner of the bed. I've assumed that the bed temperature is not even, but I could be wrong.
I started with 40 deg as well, as recommended by Qidi, but found a problem with getting it off the raft so I dropped the bed temp to 35 and 30, thinking that at lower temp it wouldn't have time to stick so firmly. It kind of worked but not every time. I'll try raising the temp and see what happens.

James from Devon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 pm Just doing a little job for a sound engineer friend of mine....printing some "Darth Fader" control knobs

if nothing else, the printer is a lot of fun.

:)
Yes, agreed, not sure my wife thinks so, though!
Philip